• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

From a Blackberry Tour to a Mot. Droid or Nexus One?

mallinj

Oct 31, 2009
Detroit
Ok... I'm on VZW and I'm due for an upgrade in mid-March. I have a Blackberry Tour right now. Two questions....

1. Anyone in this forum regret going to either a Droid or N1 from a traditional Blackberry? Obviously, there are some on Crackberry who did but I'm taking that worth a grain of salt. I don't need to type 70 wpm on a BB keyboard... I'm looking for something functional but fun too.

2. I have read that the N1 will be on VZW around March 23rd. Assuming this is correct, should I wait a couple of weeks from my upgrade eligibility to get N1 instead of Droid? As I see it, the primary differences are the physical keyboard vs. faster processor. I'm leaning towards the faster processor. Mistake or no?

Thanks in advance. I'm really looking forward to rockin Android. I'll blog about my POS Blackberry once I've departed from RIM devices.

Ok... I'm on VZW and I'm due for an upgrade in mid-March. I have a Blackberry Tour right now. Two questions....

1. Anyone in this forum regret going to either a Droid or N1 from a traditional Blackberry? Obviously, there are some on Crackberry who did but I'm taking that worth a grain of salt. I don't need to type 70 wpm on a BB keyboard... I'm looking for something functional but fun too.

2. I have read that the N1 will be on VZW around March 23rd. Assuming this is correct, should I wait a couple of weeks from my upgrade eligibility to get N1 instead of Droid? As I see it, the primary differences are the physical keyboard vs. faster processor. I'm leaning towards the faster processor. Mistake or no?

Thanks in advance. I'm really looking forward to rockin Android. I'll blog about my POS Blackberry once I've departed from RIM devices.

I went from a Tour to a Hero, which is almost identical to the Eris. I'm very happy. I never thought I could type on a touchscreen anywhere near as fast as my Tour, but RIM forced my hand with all the BIS outages, so I jumped ship to the Hero, and have been very pleased, not to mention surprised that I can type very close, if not just as fast as on my Tour. I didn't just hunt and peck either. I'm a power user that types a LOT on my phones.

Android makes BB seem as antiquated as it really is. BB is basically Windows 95, with sequential updates over the years, in a shiny package that is now made poorly in Mexico. I returned like 4 or 5 Tours.

As far as between the Motorola and the N1, I'd go with the N1. Less clunky than the Motorola, and to be honest- I like the products HTC puts out more than I do Motorola. Go check out the youtube video of the tests they put the Nexus through to make sure it stands up to use and abuse. I was very impressed. Also, that slide out keyboard just doesn't do it for me. I really don't think you'll need it after you have a month or so with the N1.

Have fun.

Upvote 0
MisterB has made some good points for you here, and I think you will be in good hands with whatever Android phone you choose.

I'm not a huge power user myself, but I am a tech buff who has owned a Palm Pre, used an older BB Curve model (can't remember the series), and used a Tour as well. I've never been a fan of BlackBerrys but I'm not going to get into a whole argument here.

My Droid does everything I would use on a BBerry better, and it does much more as well. The built-in keyboard on the Droid isn't very good and definitely not as good as the Tour's or even the Pre, but I find myself typing with ease on it any way. The on-screen visual keyboards will take some getting used to and adjusting, but others will confirm on here that you definitely get the hang of it.

No you're probably not going to type as fast or as accurate as on a good physical keyboard, but you will definitely be able to get to the point where you won't need to rely on one. I think you should definitely go with Android if you want a fun, functional, and continuously evolving platform. As for choosing an N1 vs. a Droid, had the N1 been available now on Verizon, I would've definitely chosen it instead of the Droid. As MisterB said, you can get accustomed to the on-screen keyboard in a short amount of time and the phone as a whole has its pros over the Moto's Droid.

Upvote 0
I jumped ship from my blackberry to the Motorola droid, and I couldn't be happier. I was a bb user for 4 years, after starting out with the 7250. I was one of the biggest proponents of blackberry, however the os has become completetly outdated compared to android and webos. I loved the bb keyboard as well, but the stock virtual keyboard and shapewriter are amazing. You certainly won't be dissapointed

Upvote 0
Having never owned or even handled a BB, I'll say that typing on the N1 once you have found your preferred software keyboard is a dream: that's the beauty of being able to install whatever keyboard app/layout that pleases you. I currently use Swype, and am incredibly pleased with the speed and accuracy I can achieve with it. Used to have a phone with a physical keyboard, but I don't miss it one little bit.

Upvote 0
Anyone in this forum regret going to either a Droid or N1 from a traditional Blackberry?
Not here. I switched from an 8310. The only things I miss are the physical keyboard and BB profiles. Swype helps a lot IMO but it's not for everyone. The Profiles app by egg 'n stone does a pretty good job of coming close to profiles on the BB but it's not quite the same. Overall though, the other gains are more than worth the switch to me.

Obviously, there are some on Crackberry who did but I'm taking that worth a grain of salt.
It's not a one-size-fits-all world despite what countless forum users on various sites apparently think. No single device will appeal to everyone. Not everyone's going to ditch the BB. I'm not sure that you need to take opinions "with a grain of salt". You just need to consider how they jive (or don't) with your own perspective but that really applies with just about everything.

I have read that the N1 will be on VZW around March 23rd. Assuming this is correct, should I wait a couple of weeks from my upgrade eligibility to get N1 instead of Droid? As I see it, the primary differences are the physical keyboard vs. faster processor. I'm leaning towards the faster processor. Mistake or no?
With any decision like this there's a bit of subjective preference involved as well. Try the Droid out in a store. Remember that Verizon gives you 30 days to cancel. Google gives you 14 to return the N1 (with a restocking fee). It's not like you're making a final decision.

I would have considered the N1 on Verizon if it had been available at the time.

Upvote 0
I went from the BB 8900 to the N1 and will never doubt my decision. The N1 is incredible, so please do yourself a favor and wait on it. I downloaded a note app and a SMS app (I missed BBM) that works better for me than the stock packages. It is all personal preference. I think the wifi is a very important feature. you can surf faster than on 3g and it extends your range, especially in buildings or in outer areas. I also purchased the charging dock, wouldn't be without 1. Good luck on your decision.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones