From ATT to Verizon, quick questionGeneral

Last Updated:

1. brichi

brichi Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi guys, I have an iPhone now and have some quick questions before I pre order the Incredible

I know you cannot do voice and data at the same time on verizon which I think is really a joke with technology now a days but:

with WiFi OFF

1. what happens if I am browsing the net and someone tries to call? will the call come through or go right to VM

2. What if I am using the gps to travel somewhere, does this mean I will never receive phone calls the whole trip? I know some of it gets cached but I am sure it accesses the network a lot throughout a trip.

3. If I am on a phone call, does this mean I cannot receive or send texts?

4. and vice versa to 3, If i am texting back and forth between a couple of people does this stop phone calls from coming in?

thank you for any info you guys can give, i appreciate it

Advertisement
    BoozeRob and techguy like this.
  2. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

LOL, i'm not even going to bother with this thread. Why don't you stay with at&t and leave the inferior phones & services to the rest of us ;)

load97 and Spyder_old like this.
  3. techguy

techguy Member

I am a current Verizon customer and I think these are some valid questions I would like to know also.

If you don't have anything good to say about someone's posting, there is no need to bash them.

4. amarryat

amarryat Well-Known Member

1). Your web surfing will be interrupted and the phone will ring.
    2). Phone call will come in. Not sure how the gps software will handle the inability to get data during the call.
    3). You can send and receive texts while on a phone call
    4). Calls come in when you are texting.

5. benson304

benson304 Well-Known Member

Stay with your iPhone.

load97 and stuartredman1 like this.
  6. brichi

why do you have to be such an ass, I asked honest questions from what I have read on different forums and wanted to get answers from actual Droid users. And don't talk about inferior phones when obviously the iPhone has been inferior for a couple of years and everyone tries to be just like it... Thanks for nothing

amarryat and Benson,, Thank you very much for the answers, I appreciate it

7. amarryat

You're welcome. Keep in mind I am a current Blackberry Storm user, and that is how it works. Data/voice should not be any different on another phone though.

8. brichi

awesome, do you notice it ever really becoming an issue in everyday use?

9. heyeaglefn

heyeaglefn Well-Known Member

Never been a problem for me.

10. amarryat

Nope, and that's why I always thought the ATT TV ad highlighting that deficiency was a joke.

Voice always takes priority, so you won't ever miss a call.

11. jlb0305

jlb0305 Well-Known Member

1) Data is paused while on call and can resume after. (BB Storm & moto Droid tested)
    2)GPS as far as I know still works but any map updates from net are paused until end of call. Atleast this is what happened on moto droid. It picked back up fine after call.
    3)Text can occur while on call because text is sent on voice lines.
    4)Voice can occur while texting.

EDIT: Sorry had this page up and forgot to refresh b4 posting.

12. benson304

benson304 Well-Known Member

The only difference, which is what they are mainly referring to in these commercials, is that you can't be on the phone and then log into the browser and load websites.

13. brichi

ok, this is all great so far, my main concern is that I would not miss a call because a web page was loading or an email happen to be coming in the same time someone was dialing my number (I get a lot of email constantly coming through for work)

14. FrozenIpaq

FrozenIpaq Well-Known Member

I just had my roommate test this with his Motorola Droid.

Here's what we did:

1) Droid loading a webpage
    2) While loading, I called him
    3) While loading he got the notification that I was calling, after 1-2 rings on my end (I called him and noticed that it was 1-2 rings before his phone registered me as calling him).

So: Yes, you will receive calls when you are loading a webpage

15. wangznthangz

wangznthangz Member

You wont miss a call no matter what is going on. I even get my calls when I'm tethered to my laptop.

16. jpallen77

jpallen77 Well-Known Member

Calls take priority qver everything else. Gps will work while on a call if you have gps on and not just using network location. I still get turn-by-turn directions while on a call, the maps will refresh when call is over. Text and e-mail notifications will come in within seconds after calls are over. As far as web pages loading, they will pause for a call and resume automaticly as soon as call is over. This all works on my Eris running 2.1(rooted) which is the same as incredible just less memory and a slower processor. You wont miss being able to surf web while on calls wich you can still do on VZW if you are connected on Wifi, which overrides data connection. Lose the I-JUNK and come to a real network, we welcome you with open arms.

FrozenIpaq likes this.
  17. brichi

jpallen77 and wangznthangz - hahaha on the I-JUNK, thx for the info

frozenipaq - thank you for testing!!

18. amarryat

Texts come in during the call and don't wait until after.

19. ChiTownJim

ChiTownJim Well-Known Member

If you are connected to WiFi you can talk, surf the web , send a text and recieve a text all the sametime.

if you are on the phone on 3g or 1x you will still be able to send and recieve texts while on a phone call.

20. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Do you know what inferior means? Might want to look it up. Your tone in the original post was condesending, you were acting like you come from a much better phone and network and don't fathom how we'd live with the technology we are given. The fact of the matter is the android platform has alot to offer. Dont you think maybe the engineers making these phones would have put some thought into the situation before proceeding with designing the unit? Do you honestly think that while the gps is on everything else ceases to work? That while you are surfing the web the telephone function is turned off? I don't think its asking too much for some of the people that are new here to do some research before posting such questions. If you do the required research and still have questions then by all means feel free to ask them. But its pretty obvious the first thing you did was sign up with an account so you could get others to spoon feed you the information. I've given out lots of information on various threads here and in the droid eris section. I guess its too much for me to expect the same maturity from incredible users, but hey thats my fault.

21. brichi

first off, I have been on this thread all week and weekend following the phone debating to switch, I did research the hell out of the data portions but like i said I WANTED TO HEAR IT FROM ACTUAL INCREDIBLE OWNERS thinking maybe they were able to do something different so you can go on the web while talking without having to use WiFi. I have been on the iPhone for years and am looking for a change because I hate ATT and am sick of the iPhone and believe the INC has more to offer. By no means at all was my starting post condescending, I was just asking a god damn question. I go on a lot of forums DJ related and not once have I responded to someone asking a question like you did, if you come on here just to insult then dont respond at all, A simple "this has been discussed before on the forum" would have done, Any thing I found was a general answer on Verizons network, Again, I wanted to know if Droid 2.1 did something different to allow it. I mainly sign up on forums to observe, research and help people, very rarely do I ask questions mainly to avoid miserable, arrogant dickheads like yourself,

So once again, thx for nothing

p.s., yes I was wrong on the inferior sentence, I know what it means and read what you wrote wrong because i was so thrown back by your asshole reply

p.s.s - Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win, you're still ******ed

22. elrabin

elrabin Well-Known Member

1: Data ceases and the call comes in and rings

2: Data ceases and the call comes in and rings. Your route is saved and the GPS will continue to direct you UNLESS you get off route and it would need data to recalculate.

3: Texts are carried within the phones "check in" signal to the tower, being on a call SHOULDN'T interupt, but i'm not 100% sure.

4: Call will come in.

23. brichi

thanks again for everyone that answered, You really helped me on my decision to pre-order the Inc. tomorrow. I guess if the mods can and want they can lock this thread being that I am sure JWM2 will respond again with a ridiculous post and it will go on and on with stuff not even related to the post anymore.

Thanky you,
    Brian

24. eleazar

eleazar Well-Known Member

I'm also coming from an iPhone and I had these EXACT same questions. Thank you for asking them Brichi. I don't know why jwm got so defensive when it's obvious you weren't just trolling the forum.

Thanks for the answers guys. I'm very relieved to hear that I'll be able to receive/send txt's while on the Incredible. I rarely send txt's while on the phone, but I frequently receive them. I just wish my work had wifi so I wouldn't even have to worry about it. :(

25. brichi

No problem eleazar, thanks for jumping in and responding

g'night all, Looking forward to this release and ill be back looking at more info tomorrow!