From eris 2.1(gag) to droid

Last Updated:

1. infil

infil Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Well, after a handfull of problems related to the 2.1 push, including problems NOT fixed by repeated phones, I am apparently getting a droid in the mail friday. Anything I'm not going to have short of sense ona droid?

Advertisement
  2. Thornfullessrose

Thornfullessrose Well-Known Member

Anything you loose from htc sense (gag;)) will never equal to what the Droid has and can do. ←Period

3. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

Yeah, losing Sense is a minimal loss. If you really miss your Sense widgets, you can always get LauncherPro Plus for $4, I believe, which gives you Sense-like widgets. Federico is still in the process of creating the widgets, but last I checked he had two widgets created; contacts and bookmarks.

4. smacky

smacky Banned

You lose the trackball. That was kind of a big deal when texting and I made a mistake and had to go back. The only thing somewhat analogous in function to the trackball is the d-pad, but that requires you to slide out the keyboard. No big deal, but it isn't as intuitive as a trackball.

5. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

I've actually become pretty proficient at selecting the right cursor position on the touchscreen. I almost never use the D-Pad anymore. You get used to it.

6. Ddifulio31

Ddifulio31 Active Member

I came from the eris too. I have had my moto droid for a week now, and I love it! So much faster and everything is so much better. even on the 2.1. I went through 4 eris's. The only sense app I miss is the agenda calendar but there r some on the market. But by far droid blows the eris away.

7. darkside

darkside Well-Known Member

Agree totally, Coming from the Eris, And finally getting my Droid i've been slapping myself in the face wondering why I didn't just get the droid in the first place. Would have saved me tons of time and headache.

8. k6ng6r00

k6ng6r00 Member

Wow I thought I was the only one lol I said enough is enough after my 5th eris and called the central verizon service. They sent me a driod, a 16gig microsd, wall charger and dual device car charger! Its only been a few days but so far I'm loving it. I nevere realized how much screen the touch keyboard takes up its like the screen is 3 times bigget than the eris when I use the slide keyboard!

9. somdfisher

somdfisher Member

I had an Eris till last week when they sent me 5th non working phone. The last one was a good one since it would randomly call people from my recent call list. If I didnt have anything in that list it would pull up voice dial over and over. Oh yeah andthe white boot screen I would get. I don't miss it that's for sure.

10. k6ng6r00

k6ng6r00 Member

my last one would always think i was scrolling the trackball to the left, which would naturally put the cursor to the left as you would type, which meant i had to type in everything backwards to get it to be readable... and the other 3 had broken speakers and one had the touch screen stop responding

11. stmartin84

stmartin84 Well-Known Member

So, I'm kind of in the same situation. I've finally convinced Verizon to send me a real phone instead of this eris piece of crap. For all you veterans out there owning the motorola droid, any tips for me switching? Must do items, etc. etc.?

12. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

Root! That'll open up a whole new world of opportunities. Unlike the Eris, after rooting, the Droid is a whole new phone. :)

13. darkside

darkside Well-Known Member

Going to have to agree on this one. Normally I'm not quick to tell someone to root, but coming from the crappy eris, (which still had tons of problems even rooted) root opened up my phone. Wireless tethering alone would be enough to convince me to root, but that's just me. This phone flies when overclocked, and I haven't ran into a speed that my droid can't handle. I used my phone for about a week Un-Rooted and still enjoyed the phone stock better than the eris rooted. So when I rooted i was just amazed at the snappiness of it.

Also, make sure you get Rom Manager (premium preferred) as it will make everything so much easier for your flashing needs.