From Eris to Samsung MomentGeneral

Last Updated:

1. snorge

snorge Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Nov 20, 2009
    I've been fairly happy with my Eris for quite some time and didn't seem to have any of the major problems people have reported here however through my Employer I get a much better monthly deal with Sprint and their plans are already cheaper to begin with.

I know the Evo is upon us but I wanted a phone I could get basically for free so decided to give the Samsung Moment a try. I knew the Eris was a bit slow (although it didn't bother me much) but after using this Moment for a few days I must say there is a night and day difference. The Moment has a 900mhz cpu made by Samsung themselves I believe and it is ridiculous how much faster this phone does just about everything. On top of that the call quality is better, the battery life is better, and even the bundled apps Sprint includes like their tv service is nice.

Unlike some Samsung phones this is more or less stock android 2.1, to do a true speed comparison I've been using a 3rd party home app on my Eris so installed that on the Moment as well so I don't believe it was Sense alone that is slowing the Eris down. The Moment didn't seem to get the greatest reviews when it first came out but I think a lot of that was because of it not having 2.1 which it does now ship with.

2. xx_bishop_xx

xx_bishop_xx Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009

t35rk Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010

I'm either going with Droid X and Eris or Ally on Verizon or the EVO and Samsung Intercept or Element or Hero on Sprint.

I would be getting the Droid X or EVO, while my wife would get the other. I've always liked the Eris, but a laggy dialer and short battery life my make it a non choice.
  4. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Sense does indeed slow the Eris down. Rooting and using a stock Android ROM (White Widow) made a huge difference in performance, due to the stock Android apps being much lighter than the Sense apps. Its no Incredible, but it does seem to move faster.

Since the Samsung Moment does have a better processor and is running stock Android, it only makes Sense that it performs better. Enjoy it.