From Palm: App ReplacementSupport

Last Updated: 2010-09-06 16:37:45
  1. Nepherim

Nepherim Well-Known Member

I'm moving to the Droid, coming from a Palm T3. Anyone know of any good replacements for:
    • DiddleBug -- allows handwritten notes, Basically a drawing program allowing you to jot and categorize quick notes. (It doesn't perform handwriting conversion.)
    • Bonsai -- heirarhichal list organizer.
    • eWallet -- no Android version on the horizon. Looking for something to store credit card info, passport info, etc. LastPass and KeePass don't quite fit the bill. SplashID is way to costly.
    • Calculator -- with unit conversion.
    • USB Sync (Outlook) -- as far as I can tell this isn't available yet. I want to USB sync solution. As much as I like Google products, I do not want to use Google as a middle man.

Suggestions?

~ ~ Dave

Advertisement
  2. Nepherim

Quick reply to my own post...
    USB Sync: Found a few companies with forth-coming solutions: Mark Space, and Mobile Action.
  3. PittCaleb

PittCaleb Well-Known Member

I use an app called simply Draw! that I find an equiv to Diddle Bug

I also have installed, and you should check out for yourself, "Unit convertor", AK Notepad and Calculator from Kreactive Technologies. They may be useful to you as well.

I used to use an app, Handy Shopper, that I truly loved. Haven't found similar for Droid or any that were good for grocery shopping yet - tried Cloud List today and besides the FC's, it wasn't working nicely, so it's a gonner.

PittCaleb
  4. Nepherim

Thanks for the suggestions. For shopping try: Hungry!, OI Shopping List, or one I suspect will work best, but not specifically shopping is "Tag ToDo". I haven't had a chance to really use them yet though.
  5. mplevy

mplevy Well-Known Member

I've used OI Shopping list. I like it, I like that you can "check-off" items you have in your cart. I'm not sure what other features you were looking for from that type of app...
  6. PittCaleb

I'm looking for something that will allow me to state the aisle a product is found in, thus when im in the store, i can sort by aisle. HandyShopper for the Palm is the perfect app for this. check it out if you want to see what im looking for.
  7. Nepherim

For DiddleBug, I checked out Draw! and it's not really very usable for handwriting, nor does it offer categorization. I also checked out Sketch, and that's slightly better for writing -- still no categorization though. So still looking for recommendations.

For Calculator, I'm going with RealCalc. It's more calculator than I need, but it easily covers my reqs, and also has unit conversions.

eWallet and Bonsai -- nothing yet, so any suggestions welcomed.

In terms of USB sych, another alternative is CompanionLink. A press release I got from them today:
    So still looking for solutions that exist today.
  8. PittCaleb

I agree with Draw! not being great for writing, which I loved about Diddle Bug. I think my problem is using my finger rather than a stylus. Screen was bigger on Palm but control tighter because of stylus. I think that's going to be a problem for all Palm users for most apps for a while.

Going to look into your suggested apps now.

PittCaleb
  9. mplevy

mplevy Well-Known Member

I haven't tried yet but when I connected to my work PC using bt it had an option for hotsync. Not sure if that will work but I can try next time I boot it (on vacation this week)
  10. Nepherim

Just discovered that "Tag ToDo" has the ability to attach sketches to the notes. The writing on those sketches is pretty good. Unfortunately it takes a few clicks to get to the sketch part, but it's a start,
  11. toys4fun

toys4fun Member

I see that "mobile action" apperarntly has a download available to get the M droid to sync with outlook. It does not appear that the "mark Space" has their software available yet. Have you tried the "Mobile Action" software yet?. I just updated from the Palm Treo and have a ton of files in the Palm PC program that comes with the treo and would like to get them sync to my Droid. Does anybody have a way to do it. I have a lot of files stored in "my documents" from Word files and would like to get them on my droid too.
  12. BottledHate

BottledHate Well-Known Member

handycalc is the best calculator i've used on any mobile device. the unit conversion is very good too.
  13. katahdin

katahdin Well-Known Member

The developer of Note Everything has just added an automated import from palm memos !! I imported converted 400 + in seconds !! So fast I thought there may have been a problem - but worked perfectly !! He did this after a request for help.
  14. iPhone2Droid

iPhone2Droid Well-Known Member

Wow, impressive! Think I'll go check out that developer's app(s) now. Thanks for sharing.
  15. katahdin

FYI - Note Everything - update to the latest version (2.8.0) via market and can use the new functions - Import from Palm

Read instructions here: SoftXPerience | Import Palm
  16. toys4fun

toys4fun Member

Thanks for the update. I'm excited to try it out. I hope it works.
  17. toys4fun

toys4fun Member

Tried it out. Everything came accross in Non-English characters.
  18. katahdin

Did you look at the csv you created ?

What version of palm are you on?
  19. toys4fun

toys4fun Member

Sorry to sound like such an idiot but, what does csv stand for? and how do I find out what version of palm I have. Thanks for the response. I had a palm treo 600 prior to the Draoid and it was the software that came with it.
    Cody
  20. katahdin

CSV - stands for comma separated variable (or something close to that !!) basically, Its a a text file where fields of data are separated by commas.

I'm not familiar with the treo but if you look at:
    Read instructions here: SoftXPerience | Import Palm

and they make sense - then you can bring over the palm memo from the desktop. If not then you need some more searches - googling.. Good luck - let us know.
  21. WebEtToile

WebEtToile Member

I've just released an alpha version of AndyShopper for Android. I'm not affiliated in any way with previous or current development of any of the official HandyShopper versions, and I simply felt there is a need to have a HandyShopper like application for Android. Sorting on aisle is one of the sort options (actually you can sort on any attribute that is available for an item).

I made a full post in the Yahoo HandyShopper group if you want more information.

You can download the alpha builds from here:

AndyShopper for Android

@+,
    Feico
  22. hgoldner

hgoldner Well-Known Member

As a long time HandyShopper user who has migrated to Android via an HTC Incredible, I welcome your efforts.

I'm not entirely enthralled with ToMarket, which is the most robust Android app and closest equivalent to HandyShopper.

I like, for instance, AndyShopper's ability to filter by store. I haven't seen that in ToMarket (at least the Lite version).
  23. WebEtToile

WebEtToile Member

Thanks for the feedback. Please do let me know other specific features that you'd like to see in AndyShopper. I will continue to release new builds, at least one per week and hopefully more.
  24. Hi there, how's this going...?
  25. kokiangel

kokiangel Well-Known Member

Thank you for this! The closest I have been able to find was Hungry! Its an OK app but I have really missed Handy Shopper. I will give this app a test drive immediately.