• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

From Palm OS to Android (Droid)

Nice thread (former TX owner here, now with Nexus One). I'm pretty happy at this point but there are some compromises. I've found Calendar Pad Pro combined with Pure Calendar Widgets to be pretty much take care of my calendaring needs.

The one thing I really miss is NVbackup. MyBackup Pro is not bad, but when I tried it out (factory reset and restore-- the first thing I do with a new backup program because how else do you know it is going to work when you need it) it did not restore my device. Or, let me put it this way. It's like movers-- you get all your stuff back (except the apps you *have* to restore from the Market, but you still have to put everything back together. Easier than a total rebuild, I suppose, but not what I was hoping for.

Upvote 0
Have you looked at Calendar Pad? I loved DateBk5, too, but Calendar Pad has selectable font sizes which allows you to see your appointments -- several characters, at least -- in month view, and the week view is very readable. All in all, I actually like this better than

Unfortunately, this is just a display app. If you want to create a new event, you end up at the silly embedded event creator (spinning simulated wheels instead of just tapping in the times.)

Upvote 0
silly embedded event creator (spinning simulated wheels instead of just tapping in the times.)
You ungrateful young whippersnappers! :p
That's a lot better than what Android v1.x does. For all the time- or date- entry fields, and even the occasional number-entry field, we get this abomination:
Code:
   (+)  (+)      <-- buttons
   [[U]hh[/U]][[U]mm[/U]]      <-- text fields
   (-)  (-)      <-- more buttons
(Okay)  (Cancel) <-- dialog controls
How's that for a modern UI? Of course, pre-populated to "15:32" if that's the current time. Too bad if I wanted the appointment to start on the full hour...

Upvote 0
I'm looking for a way to move contacts, calendar, and notes from Palm desktop to Droid. Any info for that?
Also, does Droid have an app that's as good as Palms calendar? -color code appointments that show up on the week or month view without having to open up each date.

When I bought my Droid in December the guy at the Verizon store did it for me. Took my Treo and my Droid, went in the back room, and 10 minutes later calendar and contacts were on the Droid.

Maybe call Verizon and ask them what they do.

Upvote 0
You ungrateful young whippersnappers! :p
That's a lot better than what Android v1.x does. For all the time- or date- entry fields, and even the occasional number-entry field, we get this abomination:
Code:
   (+)  (+)      <-- buttons
   [[U]hh[/U]][[U]mm[/U]]      <-- text fields
   (-)  (-)      <-- more buttons
(Okay)  (Cancel) <-- dialog controls
How's that for a modern UI? Of course, pre-populated to "15:32" if that's the current time. Too bad if I wanted the appointment to start on the full hour...

Still, I heavily use Datebk4 for reminders... Pick up milk, do this during lunch break, and the repeatiing floating events for paying the mortgage, take out trash, etc.

Quick test: Set up shopping reminder for 1930 tomorrow.
Palm: 1:12 (Including taking stylus out, turning on, correcting 8 graffiti mistakes in 31 characters entered.

Evo: 2:21 (some extra time wasted trying to clear the 10 minute advance reminder. What's up with this? I can't set an alarm to go off at the time I want, and not before? I'm seriously considering returning the phone for this lousy calendar application alone.

Also, the reminder is one short bell ring, with no follow-up reminders if the alarm isn't acknowledged. If I had some assurance that datebk4 would be ported to Android, I might keep this thing, but I really don't want to carry my TX and the Evo..

Upvote 0
Found this nice thread via Googling...

Just switched from the good ol' Palm OS to Android as well, not a Droid through.

The biggest disappointment is from the PIM apps. Was using DateBk6 and loved the Floating Events feature. The Calendar app in Android is just, pity. Entering tasks is tedious. The date/time picker is time-wasting. Resorted to use the online Google Calendar to enter new tasks.

Contacts doesn't do birthdays, but there's EboBirthday and EboBirthday Sync (import birthday records from google.com/contacts), which mitigated the problem a little bit (was using HappyDays).

No built-in Notes/Memo app but there are tons of them on Android Market. The problem is that none of the ones I've tried can do custom sorting like Palm's. Anyway using OI Notepad for now (can import CSV files).

No built-in Tasks/Todo app as well. Used to use the floating event in Datebk. Now just use All-Day Event and move them to new day every night (tedious!)

On a related note, trying to find a desktop Outlook sync solution. Companion and Mark/Space are out there. But Companion uses its own Cal app and Mark/Space doesn't do Cal/Memo/Tasks sync at all at this moment.

Also missing NVBackup (secure device backup), Butler (change volume key function), KeyCaps (long press capitalize letter).

Chatter has been more or less replaced by K-9.

PalmBiblePlus has been replaced by CadreBible.

CallRec has been replaced by Voice Recorder.

Yinghan has been replaced by ColorDict. No pronunciation and instant translation through.

Tried the shopping apps mentioned above but still no HandyShopper equivalent (needs priority sort and price fields). Any other suggestion?

OTOH, found some good apps, like Handcent (a bit slow through), Wi-Fi Tether, and the built-in Browser app is years ahead of Blazer.

Please keep this going.

Cheers.

All these applications are really good and specially the one that is Ebobirthday and floating event feature is something really very good to use and this is much more better.

Thanks

Upvote 0
So, anyone loaded Graffiti 1 from Access? How's it working?
(I would be telling you the answers to those questions if SOMEONE hadn't blocked the download of this free app to my country!) :mad:

Working beautifully. As an old-time Palm user, I find it much faster and more reliable than any keyboard I have tried.

Feels good to be home again.

Burt

Upvote 0
I was a Palm user for years...since the beginning and would secure each new Palm as it arrived on the market. I got my DROID this past January and I am delighted about all of the programs that are available through the Market. I enjoy the functionality of the Droid. However, I miss many of the operations of the Palm OS. Android needs to come of age and not bypass some basic functionality.

It was recommended I go to Droid when my Palm died (a first), but I wish I was still using Palm OS. I would think that once Droid gets their act together and corrects their short comings, it will be a fantastic phone. In the mean time, I sit here and struggle with the Droid. Many, many issues - too numerous to list here.

Upvote 0
Great thread. In some ways, I'm trying to figure out how to things like I did on my Palm since the original Pilot. In others, like someon said, trying to learn new ways.

Biggest stumbling block is PIM. Sync Outlook with phone should have been a no brainer. Everything doesn't need to be in the cloud.

For readers, ereader is now available. Also, any books you bought there, you can download to the droid. Having said that, Kindle has better interface. I have downloaded Aldiko, but haven't tried it yet.

One app I used a lot, but haven't found was Pocket Library. A simple book database, kept track of books I've read with rating, etc. Easy fast interface. The new apps that scan barcodes would be great, but the rest needs to be simpler. Want a nice easy scrollable list in text. Don't need a picture of the cover.

Most games I played on Palm I haven't found, but there are plenty of new ones.

Going to look at Companionview and Deja Office for Outlook synch.

Wanted to add, Haven't got Docs to Go yet, but if it doesn't sync, what's the point?

Upvote 0
For readers, ereader is now available. Also, any books you bought there, you can download to the droid. Having said that, Kindle has better interface. I have downloaded Aldiko, but haven't tried it yet.

FWIW, I now have four readers on my Droid. The publishers won't agree on a standard and (of course) the books are not interchangeable. So this is my kludge solution. The readers are:

eReader
Kindle
Barnes & Noble Nook
Borders

I was surprised to see how weak the Kindle reader is. Of all of them, I prefer eReader.

If anyone has a better solution, I'd love to hear it. Even better, if anyone knows of a good edictionary that will let me look up words from the books I am reading on any of these readers, I'd love to know of it.

Cheers,

Burt

Upvote 0
1. The Graffiti for Android app ROCKS. Burt is right; it's great to be home again. (you echoed almost exactly what my hubby said, "I knew someone would bring us home again - and they have."

2. All of you looking for decent PIM calendar functionality, check out iRT calendar. No, it's not free, but it gives us a lot of what we had on Palm, and they're developing more features to come in more deluxe versions to come. (One of the greatest features I missed this gave me back was "duplicate event." I have appointments I have to schedule again on an irregular basis for which this is indespensible)

Upvote 0
755P to EVO but using a Mac Book Pro
Hello fellow android users,

I finally retired my Treo 755P but not without mourning. I am using the EVO and using a Macbook. My problem is how do a sync with my CPU? HTC is not compatible with Mac. I have read many posts but have not found anything yet.
I loved the ease of the Palm system and compatibility on all platforms. Like many others, I have many memos and tasks that I would like to transfer over. I was using Palm Desktop and was happy with it, it did the job. I am not as tech savvy as many of the people on here, can someone please help me on what is the best method when having a Macbook.
Also, it doesn't seem that there is an all powerful program that can handle all the things that my Treo did (task, memo, calender, to-do). I already miss the ease of Palm's core items. This is my first of many posts, thank you in advance.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones