From phone to theme?

Last Updated:

1. stewart1champ

stewart1champ Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

How do I take what I have on my phone, and turn it into a theme zip that everyone can use?

I am clueless on this, and have read everything I thought I could find.

My images are in place, I have no issues, I just want to transfer my look into something that is usable for the rest of the community. I know it isn't just a nandroid backup or a ROMManager backup, but I do not understand the next step.

A little help possibly?

Advertisement
  2. supersaki

supersaki Well-Known Member

Metamorph is probably your best bet. Did you only change .png files or did you edit .xml files as well?

You could search around for how to make an update.zip, but I think that limits you to people on the same ROM as you.

Metamorph tut:
    How to MetaMorph/Theme - xda-developers

Is this for your 'no name' theme? Can't wait :)

3. gnath9

gnath9 Well-Known Member

I would like to see a screen shot please !!!

4. stewart1champ

5. gnath9

gnath9 Well-Known Member

thanks !!! looks fantastic :)

6. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

Based on the state you have things in now I think that it would be easier to make an update.zip than use metamorph.

Basically you need to pull all the files that you changed and package them in a zip. If you dont have any experience with the update.zip format then I would suggest looking at ones done by other themers because files must be nested correctly.

If you get stuck shoot me a pm and I will help you out when I can

stewart1champ likes this.
  7. supersaki

supersaki Well-Known Member

Found this tut on making an update.zip. It seems pretty easy and straightforward:
    How to Create Android Update Zip Package | All About Web & Mobile Application Development

As far as the difference between the two (update.zip / Metamorph): the update.zip will replace the entire .apk, the metamorph only replaces the individual files inside the .apk. So if any application you themed gets updated, you would have to make a new update.zip. With the metamorph, you can just reapply the theme again (assuming the .apk hasn't changed too much).

stewart1champ likes this.
  8. stewart1champ

Will definitely read this when I get off work. May have something out for you guys this evening.

9. stewart1champ

After cheating at work, and reading up on the forums instead of .... "working"... I think I have it figured out. Not sure how long it will take before I do release something this evening, but hopefully, something will be out. I just want to test it on my phone first, and see what happens. Plus, I see one image for sure on the theme that I intend to change, ASAP.