From Rooted Eris To Droid!!!!!

Last Updated:

1. darkside

darkside Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hello all, So i will start off with my short story.

Driving home from work in a horrible rain storm. Car decides it wants to drop the clutch out of it 20 miles from home, and way out in the boonies ok so i'll just hop on my phone (eris) and call my wife to come and pick me up. Picked up my phone and tried to make a call, NOTHING HAPPENED. Umm ok WTF? tried again, nothing... So tried to reboot the phone and got stuck in a boot cycle, out of all the times the phone doesn't want to work it picks this day. So i sit in my car for a while contemplating and yelling at my eris to make a call to no avail and had to walk about two miles in the heaviest rain we have had in a long time. Needless to say I was not the happiest person.

So I called verizon and told them the story and that i'm tired of going through Eris's like candy, they offer to send a refurb and after some talking to the lady (who was very nice might I add) she offers to switch me to the Moto Droid. So I have mixed feelings about this. I've been doing some research about the Droid and it seems like a solid phone. But I won't be getting it for a couple of days so i can't compare yet.

Just wondering what everyone's experience with the Droid is. Do you think I made off good switching from the Eris? I hated Sense UI on the Eris and every Rom I flashed to, i made sure didn't have the Sense UI enabled, so I'm glad the Droid doesn't run on that.

Also been searching to find a way to Root the Droid but haven't found a Thread that clearly states THIS IS HOW TO ROOT THE DROID. Wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction. I know the Droid is superior to the Eris, but i'm trying to figure out in what ways you guys think the droid is better?

Sorry for the winded post but i'm pretty excited that I got away from the Eris and traded up. Thanks for any input. Hello Droid, goodbye Eris:D

Advertisement
  2. xliderider

xliderider Well-Known Member

If you are getting a refurb, did you make sure they send you a battery and a battery cover?

The droid is a great phone. My wife's Eris is a better now that it has received the latest OTA patch and it is now rooted and overclocked. However, the only thing the Eris has over the droid is a smaller, more compact form factor, and Sense.

3. darkside

Yes they stated that they will be sending a new battery charger etc.... pretty much everything that comes with the droid.

I had my Eris Rooted and Overclocked as well, It was a good phone but just seemed to have too many problems, and when it gave me the silent call bug when I needed it the most that just set me over the edge and I was pretty much done with it. I'm not real particular when it comes to phone design vs phone functionality. The eris is slick but slick doesn't really cut it when i'm walking in the rain.lol

4. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

http://androidforums.com/all-things...oot-related-currently-under-construction.html

In that thread about half way down there are clear directions on rooting.

I think you made a good decision. My wife has an Eris(Unrooted....cause she doesnt want me "Hacking her phone") and I cant stand that thing. Its so slow that every time I use it I end doing something crazy cause I push a button 5 times waiting for something to happen. I dont think you will miss the Eris at all.

darkside likes this.
  5. Thornfullessrose

Thornfullessrose Well-Known Member

I did the same thing with verizon and my eris. I'm sure you'll love the Droid! Rooting was SO simple (sry don't remember the site I used. but there are many out there.) I love the root world of the Droid. I decided to pull the trigger and root to froyo (yes im impatient) In like the past two days, I've been messing with roms and overclocking and all that fun stuff. You probably won't wanna install froyo when it comes out after tweaking and modifying your easily modifiable moto droid. Last night i messed around with overclocking and got to 1.1ghz and it's like blazing fast. Havent OC'd any higher... yet. I'll stop once i know my droid's limit. (dont want any thermal runaway) ;)

6. ohmrsh

ohmrsh Member

They moved me up from a Devour to a Droid and I'm in love! Only thing was I received the phone on a Friday and had to wait until Monday for the battery and cover. It ships from two different places.

7. Thornfullessrose

Everything came at once for me.

8. Papadroid

Papadroid VIP Member VIP Member

Having had an Eris as well I can tell you that the Eris can not compare performance wise with the Droid. And once you root your droid you too will fall in love with it. Like you I had no idea about the Droid and the Droid community. As good as the dev community is in the Eris world, they just can't even come close to the Droid community. A lot of the Roms for the Eris still have major bugs because most Roms are ported from the hero, unlike the Roms for the Droid which are absolutely fantastic and blow away anything the eris community has. Now keep in mind that I'm still involved in the Eris community helping others with problems and my wife has my old Eris which I rooted for her recently. I'm not at all an Eris basher, but it will be a cold day in hell before someone rips my Droid from my hands anytime soon! All I can say is you definitely made the right choice and as soon as you're rooted you will understand what I'm saying.

Oh and while most people are bragging about getting 5MFlps with their rooted Eris you will be getting at least 15 with your overclocked Froyo Droid! Although I don't ever mention this over in the Eris forum I just want to laugh sometimes and brag about my phone.

darkside likes this.
  9. Thornfullessrose

Nail on the head here. A rooted droid is a phone i can actually keep for two years! (Lovin bugless beast v0.4!)

10. ZAZusmc03

ZAZusmc03 Active Member

My wife and I just recieved our Droids last friday, Made the switch from the BB Storm. Best part is, I love the phone already and I know that once I get bored, I can root and have a completely different phone! So pumped.

11. jxker

jxker Well-Known Member

you made a good choice, my wife has an eris and though the update really speeded it up, there is no comparison to the droid

12. cevMkV

cevMkV Well-Known Member

i too went from an eris to the moto droid and i have never looked back! good choice!

13. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

Root that Droid and stick 2.2 on it. You'll be impressed. Mine's running @ 1.1 GHz and is faster than my friend's Incredible, faster than my co-workers N1 and has spectacular battery life and a nicer (IMO) screen.

14. darkside

Wow everyone, I guess the general consensus is that I made a good choice. Thanks everyone for the input. I'm positive that once I get my droid, rooting it will probably be one of the first things I do. I looked over the rooting guide and WOW that seems SOOOO much easier than when I rooted my eris, As most that came from the Eris know, Rooting it in the beginning was not the easiest thing to do. Especially if you aren't very familiar with CMD prompt. I think I rooted by the grace of god, and was terrified that I might have to duplicate that process if I got a new Eris.haha

So I do have a couple of other things to ask,
    1. How is the Keyboard on the droid? I think i've heard mixed things about it, but i'm just happy that it has one, instead of only the virtual keyboard.
    2. Is swype compatible with the droid? I am about 90% sure that it is, but just want to know for sure?

So thank you everyone for putting my mind at ease about the transition, i'm pretty excited to get my phone and start my new relationship with it.haha.

15. xliderider

xliderider Well-Known Member

The keyboard on the droid is pretty bad, I wont lie. ;)

Yes, swype is available for the droid.

16. darkside

ya i went to VZW today and played with one of their shells of the Droid and looks like I won't be using the keyboard on it too much. With swype i'm sure I will be happy as every though. Now i just have to wait till Monday which is killing me. lol

17. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

OK, a word of caution. I am part of a private Motorola forum group helping to ascertain massive Voice Call Quality (VCQ) issues that a few people are having - this is with the phone itself, and seems irrespective of the OS on there (2.0 - 2.2, all are affected if there is a VCQ issue).

I just want to warn you that there are some lingering issues with the DROID, some being:

1. VCQ issues as mentioned above
    2. battery door falling off
    3. DROID physical KB sliding open in pockets
    4. "Butt dialing" - where the phone will randomly start dialing / SMSing people, usually late at night, or when in your pocket....

These are real issues with the DROID - some have found fixes, others have not, particularly the VCQ stuff. The first thing you'll need to do is to test your voice calls to other people - try one person on a cell (not on your network), another on a cell on your network, and a third on a land line - and use both a DROID and a landline as a control - to see if there is any sort of VCQ issue.

As for the others, well, any DROID that was used / demoed a lot will have the KB sliding issue - I was extremely lucky in that I ordered mine from VZW over the phone, and received a brand spanking new DROID from them, so my KB is tight, to this day (also b/c I never use it).

Butt dialing doesn't happen to my phone b/c 1) it is in a multimedia dock at night, and 2) it is never in my pocket, b/c I bought the VZW holster / case combo. Same reason the battery door doesn't fall off - it is always in a case.

Now, having said that, I also want to say this: I love my DROID. I have had none of the quality issues that others have had, and I suspect I am a part of the Motorola test group as a control, b/c I *don't* have VCQ issues. This phone is pure magic, and I am saddened that I may never get another phone that is as open as this one is - not MotoBlur, no Sense, just pure old fashioned honest to goodness Android.

If your DROID has no major issues, you'll love it for as long as you use it. Trust us.

darkside likes this.
  18. darkside

those are some very nice issues to think about john thanks for the heads up. When I was in VZW there was a girl who came in complaining that her "In call volume was messed up" That kind of gave me a red flag, but my DROID will probably be in a side holster just as my eris was, due to the fact that's where I keep it when I'm at work. When I get my DROID I will definitely be testing out the issues you brought to the table.