from the HERO to the EVO... this is me~

Last Updated:

1. i12flytoday

i12flytoday New Member This Topic's Starter

Hey everybody,

I have checked on here a few times to resolve various problems. I thought that I should at least post something in the introductions. I'm in graduate school studying Electrical Engineering, trying to specialize in silicon photonics, and I don't have a ton of time so I probably won't be much help to anyone. However, I will happily answer questions regarding my specific setup. ;-)

I stated with a HERO, loved it, but couldn't turn down the special offer they gave me on the EVO.

My current setup is:

HTC EVO - Rooted
    Android - 2.2
    Baseband - 2.15.00.07.28
    Kernel - 2.6.32.15-g746f4f0htckernel@and18-2 #58
    Build - 3.26.651.6 CL218634 release-keys
    Software - 3.26.651.6

I was one of the unfortunate souls that upgraded to 2.2, THEN realized that I couldn't root it anymore (I hadn't rooted it yet).

I found a great walkthrough that let me revert to the original ROM, then root, then install a 2.2 ROM. I didn't want any special changes, I just wanted root access so that I could run wireless_tether_2_0_5-pre9.apk.

The walkthrough is here:
    [GUIDE] How to root Android 2.2 on the EVO 4G - xda-developers

A video walkthrough of those instructions is here:
    How to Root the HTC EVO 4G with Froyo 2.2 [Video Walkthrough] | The Droid Demos

I do not know the people who set those up, I just post there here for reference of worked for me.

I actually like my service from Sprint, especially the cost, but I really did not feel like paying that much extra for tethering when I pay for internet already. If I used it a lot, maybe I would feel differently, but I use maybe 2-3 MB a month. I would just use the USB tethering, but I wanted to be able to send email with my iPad while on the road.

Anyway, this is probably all too much info, but it is what it is.

Advertisement
  2. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

Welcome to the Android Forums community! Glad you signed up! Feel free to join in the fun! :D

3. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

Welcome to the Android Forums!

4. Leftyguy

Leftyguy Well-Known Member

Hi & Welcome to the Android Forums - Cheers....;)