• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help From Working Phone to Brick in 36 hours...

jedi_josh

May 15, 2014
This has got to be the weirdest thing ever to happen to me in over 15 years of working with electronics, but just goes to prove something new can happen every day.

Phone: LG Optimus F3
Carrier: Virgin Mobile
Running: And. 4.1, VZ6 update

I was doing a manual backup to my SD-card on Sunday and my backup froze about 90-odd% through. Upon exit, the phone restarted but it didn't go back to the V-M boot partition at all. Instead, it came up into this 128MB LG partition which would only recognize VM as a carrier for texting and phone purposes. I was able to download via Wi-Fi ES File Explorer, which showed that the VM image was still there, every piece of bloat-ware still sitting on there. When the phone tried to keep trying to "activate" itself it kept trying to do PRL updates and such, and now it's at the point where all it does is flash the LG screen and cycle the home LED.

I've tried the following solutions:
-Soft Reset (via Android)
-Hard Reset (Vol. Up/Home/Power)
-Recovery Reset (Vol. Down/Power)
-Rooting via MotoChopper and SafeRoot

As I've said, all my phone does now is display "LG" and cycle the home LED. Rooting did not take any effect through any means, nor will the phone be recognized by my computer at all now. Before I rooted I live-chat-help-spoke w/ LG, and they've given me an RMA to return the phone. (Lucky for me, there's no record of rooting because each time the phone reset, it was back to this 128MB-LG default where no changes from previous were erased/written over) Before doing so, though, as I'm loathe to give up my main means of communication :laugh: I'm putting it out to the Android universe if there's any way at all I can recover the phone on my own.

Any assistance will be hugely appreciated.

Update:

Update: on a whim, tried the "Hard Reset" option, instead of getting the usual screen I have a circular recycling arrow, "S/W Upgrade", and "Please wait while upgrading..." on the screen.

This unbrick guide will help you restore your phone to 100% stock like it was when you opened it on the first day! I have used this method several times after doing changes that bricked me. Be sure to read the entire thread and get all of the proper files!

http://androidforums.com/virgin-mobile-optimus-f3-all-things-root/779320-unbrick-vm-sprint-f3.html

Upvote 0
This unbrick guide will help you restore your phone to 100% stock like it was when you opened it on the first day! I have used this method several times after doing changes that bricked me. Be sure to read the entire thread and get all of the proper files!

Going to try this as soon as I get home, will post tomorrow to see how this turns out!

Upvote 0
I tried it twice today (after having stupidly deleted the file I downloaded last night! arrrgh!). Both times, followed the guide to a "T", and I get a fail response. There's no information under the "Log" button. Attached is the picture of the FlashTool screen. I don't know what error "F0000002" is, but that's what I keep getting.

Edit: I even tried downloading the newer version of the FlashTool found on the Guide page, no dice.

Edit #2: I read further in the guide, found other ppl who have/had experienced the same error problem that I do. I don't have the ability to try another computer, as my laptop is the only machine I have. I have tried using different USB ports, still with no result. I've taken out the SIM card, no dice. I'm using my data US cable what I've used for 6 months with 0 problems. The only other cable I can try is using the power cable what came with the phone which does/can double as a USB data cable (been there/tried that). I'm stumped, past sending it back to LG (something I'm extremely loathe to do).

Attachments

• Fail Pic1.jpg
    Fail Pic1.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 90
Upvote 0
I tried it twice today (after having stupidly deleted the file I downloaded last night! arrrgh!). Both times, followed the guide to a "T", and I get a fail response. There's no information under the "Log" button. Attached is the picture of the FlashTool screen. I don't know what error "F0000002" is, but that's what I keep getting.

Edit: I even tried downloading the newer version of the FlashTool found on the Guide page, no dice.

Edit #2: I read further in the guide, found other ppl who have/had experienced the same error problem that I do. I don't have the ability to try another computer, as my laptop is the only machine I have. I have tried using different USB ports, still with no result. I've taken out the SIM card, no dice. I'm using my data US cable what I've used for 6 months with 0 problems. The only other cable I can try is using the power cable what came with the phone which does/can double as a USB data cable (been there/tried that). I'm stumped, past sending it back to LG (something I'm extremely loathe to do).

did you use the dll in the first post or the one the op posted further down in the thread?

Reactions: jedi_josh
Upvote 0
to which DLL do you refer? The MegaLock.dll (which isn't an issue at all) or another ROM-related one (which I can't seem to find?)

the only thing i downloaded NOT from the OP was (1) LG App tool and (2) Updated Flash Tool.\

edit: re-re-reread the whole thread, all the links posted except for the new version of the flash tool are the same as the ones in the OP. These, I've all downloaded.

Upvote 0
Just to confirm. You are in Download Mode correct?

I ask because first time I tried I was actually in the recovery.

Just confirming you are seeing graphic that says download mode.

Since you mentioned eBay. Was the phone previously working on virgin network? Just wanting to ensure you following the proper unbrick method.

I've never mentioned eBay *lol* might have me confused with someone else.

Yes, I'm seeing a grey square with a down-arrow and red letters saying "DOWNLOAD MODE". Alternately, I've also tried putting into the mode that says "S/W Upgrade", and that doesn't work either. But yes, Download Mode, for me.

edit: from reviewing my log file, I'll totally admit I don't understand much of the programming stuff, but I do recall seeing an inability for the flash file to write to a particular section of the partition, after several attempts at doing so. Can anyone else read it/confirm/deny? As I said, my experience w/ Android is solely this phone, I don't claim to know more than I do.

Upvote 0
was going to try it again today with a different cable, but like an idiot left the house w/out the phone *lol* I'll try again tonight and tomorrow will let you know how it turns out.

After going on my desktop and reading this is the error:
Code:
[16:10:24] UpdateBinaryProcess() Error
[16:10:24] CFlash::MasterBinDownloadProcess(), Download Fail
[16:10:24] MasterBinDownloadProcess Fail.
[16:10:24] MasterBinUpgradeFactoryProcess() Error.
[16:10:24] CComPort::ClosePort, Closed Port Successfully for COM 41
[16:10:24] CBasicComControl::Close, the port(COM41) is closed successfully
[16:10:24] RunProcess() is fail.
[16:10:24] CBasicComControl::IsConnected, the port(COM41) connection is not detected
[16:10:24] DoDownload() Exception

Either you didn't change the COM Port to 41, the driver didn't install correctly, you forgot to unplug and replug the device after you pressed the arrow pointing to the right, you aren't in download mode, you are using USB 3.0, you are using the USB port on the front of the PC instead of the back, or you are using a USB HUB/splitter.

Reactions: jedi_josh
Upvote 0
]Either you didn't change the COM Port to 41, the driver didn't install correctly, you forgot to unplug and replug the device after you pressed the arrow pointing to the right, you aren't in download mode, you are using USB 3.0, you are using the USB port on the front of the PC instead of the back, or you are using a USB HUB/splitter.

Changed it OK; driver is fine (it was automatically recognized by Windows when the phone was working, but during this process I manually downloaded the drivers for the phone); plugged/unplugged as required; unless there's another meaning to that little grey box what says "DOWNLOAD MODE"; laptop is not USB 3.0; not using a splitter or hub, am directly connected. About the the only thing I might think is "questionable" based on your reading of the code is the fact that this IS a laptop, and the USB ports do not put out full power, as would the ports at the back of a tower. Given my lack of access to a desktop, however, it's a moot point; this is what I have.

At this juncture, however, it's a moot point. A friend of mine gave me an old iPhone to try and activate, which it wouldn't, but on the phone w/ Virgin they told me that because I'd done everything technically possible (hard/soft resets, etc.), they're going to send me a new phone, same make and model (hopefully!). I'll see how it turns out.

My thanks to all who chimed in with constructive help!

Upvote 0
Changed it OK; driver is fine (it was automatically recognized by Windows when the phone was working, but during this process I manually downloaded the drivers for the phone); plugged/unplugged as required; unless there's another meaning to that little grey box what says "DOWNLOAD MODE"; laptop is not USB 3.0; not using a splitter or hub, am directly connected. About the the only thing I might think is "questionable" based on your reading of the code is the fact that this IS a laptop, and the USB ports do not put out full power, as would the ports at the back of a tower. Given my lack of access to a desktop, however, it's a moot point; this is what I have.

At this juncture, however, it's a moot point. A friend of mine gave me an old iPhone to try and activate, which it wouldn't, but on the phone w/ Virgin they told me that because I'd done everything technically possible (hard/soft resets, etc.), they're going to send me a new phone, same make and model (hopefully!). I'll see how it turns out.

My thanks to all who chimed in with constructive help!

Usually one of the ports on the laptop gives full power when plugged in to an outlet.
You start flashing the firmware (by pressing the arrow that points to the right), unplug and replug the phone after 5 seconds of it being unplugged.

Upvote 0
good afternoon thanks for accepting me in the group that I am in Venezuela and was updating my phone via OTA and get caught up in the recovery and have given back to Restart and Recovery Power When I press keys VOL + . GET Small letters and renew key- ANY please follow this route because I have a vm720 f3 Virgin Mobile LG Download Link tool breaks Flash Various followed Guides and some encouraging greetings Excuse my English I speak Spanish because I hope your help because the links do not They serve greetings

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones