front facing camera curiosity

Last Updated:

1. rjjr2531

rjjr2531 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Will anyone really use this for anything other than taking a pic of yourself? (at least early on) I hope a feature like this with video call capability works with all carriers...especially the new iphone 4g (im an HTC man, but the fact is so many ppl will have the new iphone). i have the feeling we will be the firsts with this technology and never really get to use it on a regular basis with this particular phone. I hope i'm wrong. any thoughts? thanks :cool:

Advertisement
  2. neodorian

neodorian Well-Known Member

If they add compatibility with video chat in Gmail, I will use this a lot. I chat on Gmail chat every day and occasionally use video but I only have a webcam on my laptop and don't often have my laptop on me. Being able to video chat with people in Gmail will make this very useful for me at least.

3. latinmaxima

latinmaxima Well-Known Member

Also skype will hopefully adapt an app to take advantage of this as welll!

4. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member

yea skype is my biggest looking forward too :) i skype doesn't i'm sure someone will for them... and i hope wi-fi video chat with iphone 4g is possible as i know most of my friends still on the 3g will be upgrading to that beast

5. SoFLO

SoFLO Guest

I'm sure video chat wouldn't be limited just to mobile-to-mobile.

6. wndrshwzn

wndrshwzn Well-Known Member

unlocking the phone with facial recognition using picasa maybe instead of swiping :)

7. Covert_Death

now THAT would be cool!!!!!!!!!!

8. Eguy

Eguy Well-Known Member

It won't be used for Skype since Verizon just payed them off big time. Sprint is coming up with their own solution according to Jackson.

9. neodorian

neodorian Well-Known Member

Qik is supposedly adding a video chat function to their existing streaming functionality. Not sure what other apps it will work with.

10. Covert_Death

there won't be an OFFICIAL skype app for the EVO but there will be an app no doubt, that i can guarantee

11. Zori

Zori Member

It'd be cool if we could use it on sites like Omegle, anyone know if that'd be possible?

12. rjjr2531

i think my main concern is just being able to use that camera to video call anyone unless they have an evo...if it crosses to iphone users as well, then we just added millions of more ppl we can actually use this function with...i understand using it as a webcam or thru gmail, but i want simple video calling and i want it to work with anyone else who has a front facing camera! i hope thats not too much to ask for. other than this, i cant wait for the evo and will be looking to ditch my hero on craigslist...countdown has begun

13. Eguy

Eguy Well-Known Member

I don't know how you can be so sure, Skype doesn't allow calls through third party programs.

The app dev would have to code it in there to work, no big deal.

14. drexappeal

drexappeal Well-Known Member

I'll use it to take pics with whichever female I'm taking out on a date! This makes it so much easier to take a pic with the phone!...LOL.

15. tp2386

tp2386 Well-Known Member

I cant even imagine how happy I would be if this phone could do something like that.

16. Covert_Death

it'd be easy but crappy quality as the front camera is only 1.3 MP possible even downplayed a lil

17. Autosuggestion

Autosuggestion Well-Known Member

Pretty sure that is the same as the webcam in the MacBook Pro and that takes decent enough pictures.

18. Eazail70x7

Eazail70x7 Well-Known Member

Don't forget the galaxy s will also have a front facing camera

19. Eguy

Eguy Well-Known Member

Where did you see that? I haven't seen anything that mentioned it had a front facing camera. Only the EVO and iPhone 4G have it (And the phones in Europe and Asia that have had it for 10 years).

20. dylan88

dylan88 Well-Known Member

im not worried that more phones are coming out with front facing cameras. this is the next cool thing with cell phones (the bar style phones anyways). now its just up to the developers to make use of it.

21. Eazail70x7

Eazail70x7 Well-Known Member

Go to youtube.com and type in "samsung galaxy s" and look for a 6 minute long video with a black guy doing a hands on review of the phone. At and he uses the front facing camera to take a picture of himself...

22. Eguy

Eguy Well-Known Member

Interesting. I wonder why it isn't listed in the specs anywhere.

23. mrk

mrk Well-Known Member

It's only .3MP, the Galaxy one. Or so says that report regarding all of the different mobile processors.

24. rjjr2531

i heard this phone may be coming to sprint too...i too didnt notice the front face camera either...

25. Outrigger

Outrigger Well-Known Member

video chatting is a very cool concept. on paper that is, but I really don't see it taking off. people are talking less and texting more as is and the idea that you want someone else to see you while talking is even less ideal for most people that is. tech for it has been available for many years. I know many people who have web cams including myself but never use it for video chatting. I'm not saying no one uses it. I'm talking about the masses here, not a select crowd. another big obstacle is you can't video chat cross platforms. meaning you and whoever you're talking to have to be on the exact same chat software.