Front facing camera mod for droid X?

Last Updated:

1. Ssully

Ssully Member This Topic's Starter

So has anybody done this yet, I could imagine 2 small mirrors attached on to the back of the camera would do the trick to angle the lens to face the front. It would have to be clipon to work over our cases. Any pics of this actually being done, if not lets get some pictures of future attempts at this. That would be finging fantastic.

-Sully out

Advertisement
  2. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

I was actually thinking that a great mod would be a small LCD that could plug into the HDMI-out port, that faces backwards. You could launch the camera app and flip the phone around.

I really have zero interest in face-to-face chats over the cell phone but I am an amateur photographer and am really interested in about a 3" high def LCD that I could plug into the HDMI output of my camera so I could take oddly angled shots. That LCD would be equally usable in this kind of situation.

3. bigbadwulff

bigbadwulff Well-Known Member

Funny. As I read the title of your post I immediately thought of mirrors before I even read the post. Or put the phone facing one big mirror.

4. masse

masse Well-Known Member

Mirrors wouldn't work. I'll leave it up to you to figure out why. The HDMI LCD on the other hand would be cool to see.

5. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Well-Known Member

Yes they would, it would be like a periscope. And it's already been done, I saw something like this for the iPhone to make it easier to take a pic of yourself. It had 2 mirrors and 2 suction cups to hold it on the phone. But I also have no intrest in video calling, so I've never used anything like that, and probably never would.

6. Doit2it

Doit2it Well-Known Member Contributor

I ordered THIS from Meritline back on August 4th with the intent of removing the 2 prisms and attempting to create a forward facing camera. Unfortunately, the shipment has not arrived and I just send an email to Meritline to find out where the shipment is. When I finally do get the monocular, I'll try out my plan and let y'all know if it's a viable option or not.

7. bigbadwulff

Light is light. The camera wouldn't know the difference.

8. dyno

dyno Well-Known Member

This is the stupidest idea I have ever heard of. Putting a periscope on your phone? Seriously?

Vis1on likes this.
  9. SFWB

SFWB Well-Known Member

10. DrWurm

DrWurm Well-Known Member

Do this at your own peril. Apple fanboys will tear you up if they see some ghetto rigged periscope on your phone.

11. Lars

Lars Well-Known Member

12. New ERA

New ERA Well-Known Member

i concur...if having a front facing camera was so important, why buy the X?

13. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Well-Known Member

No they won't, they did it first!

[​IMG]

iPhone Front Facing Camera [iSnapMe]

You could probably use this on just about any phone... but I wouldn't!

Roxors likes this.
  14. Ssully

Don't worry I'm not plan on taking my rigged front facing camera modded x into a apple store while making a fring call anytime soon. But i would like to keep my x on its cradle and make a few fring calls to family and that's about it. Other than that i will have absolutly no other use for it. I am definatly curious to see how the monocular teardown will work out though. And holy crap that iphone accessory it big!

15. Ssully

16. apdts

apdts Member

Found mention of it in another thread...

Last week an HDMI app was released for the X that displays the normal screen contents out over the HDMI. In one of the support threads, I saw a user mention he had fired up the HDMI to see the screen contents (the person on the other end of the video call) on his external screen and then just turned the phone around to use the regular camera pointed at himself.

For a non-portable solution, problem solved...

17. bigbadwulff

That's what they said about submarines too :)

18. bigbadwulff

If you are worried what others think(especially Apple ***boys) you're probably still in high school...

19. ericnail

ericnail Well-Known Member

True, but they'd cry if they saw you with a badass mini LCD attached to your HDMI.

20. Roxors

Roxors Well-Known Member

OK i just had the best idea EVER!!! take a picture then turn the phone around reallllllly fast... lol totally joking

i wouldn't have a use for the front facing camera unless always taking pics of myself. but it is equally easy to just ask someone else to do it.

(yes it is ok there are other people outside of this forum) LMAO just kidding, the Zombies wipped them out

21. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

Haha, funny stuff. I f I were you guys, I would simply use the HDMI port to connect a DSLR to the phone on the front.

22. ericnail

An HDMI screen could EASILY be built into a replacement battery cover and would be insane

23. hahaha what

hahaha what Well-Known Member

ya lol show us yours after all its so easy to build a tv into what used to be a thin plastic panel lmao

24. ericnail

Uhmm.. any old cellphone has a small enough LCD screen and with it being the battery cover it would have direct access to a power source.

So yeah it is easy. I don't own a factory or the tools to make it but this would be a breeze to do given the right parts.

25. qqeyes

qqeyes Member

You can laugh at them back when they ask you adhoc tether your X to their iphone so they can show you their cool video phone.