• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Hi guys,

I am thinking of getting this phone or the Nexus1, but neither seem to have a front facing camera, is that true?

Ive seen people online saying the x10 has a FFcamera, but I had a look at the pdf manual of the phone, and there was no mention of a second camera.

That would be a massive negative for me seeing Fring has already brought video calls to Symbian phones.

Anyone know for sure?
Tx
Mark.

Although I can't say for sure, the fact that sony list the phone as not having video calling would suggest no front camera. :(
What other reason would they put the camera on for otherwise?

i am currently looking around for a new phone and noticed not many new phones have front facing cameras...

i use the FF camera for video calls -- i can see caller and caller can see me.

Upvote 0
Thats it, thats the reason! YOU are the ONLY ONE using that stupid videocall function. having ff camera just raises manufacturing cost. thats its only real feature, really.

If I ever would need to video conference, I'd say no to making my nose looking bigger than it is with wide angle ff lens at the close distance needed to be able to see the people in conference with.

Could be possible with camera connected to the usb port for a creative programmer? :)

Upvote 0
Nah, I just reckon that at this point in time it is not very popular, though I can definitely see there is a good chance it will grow as a trend as voip in mobile devices becomes more widespread.

The FF camera is not a deal breaker it would just be just the cherry on top. As far as manufacturing costs, well, I don't think they would be increased, nowadays a 1MP CMOS camera component costs cents and don't take a lot of room. And as far as I can see the X10 has a lot of room.

I reckon the lack of FF was simply a design choice, though future models are likely to support it.

Upvote 0
Nah, I just reckon that at this point in time it is not very popular, though I can definitely see there is a good chance it will grow as a trend as voip in mobile devices becomes more widespread.

The FF camera is not a deal breaker it would just be just the cherry on top. As far as manufacturing costs, well, I don't think they would be increased, nowadays a 1MP CMOS camera component costs cents and don't take a lot of room. And as far as I can see the X10 has a lot of room.

I reckon the lack of FF was simply a design choice, though future models are likely to support it.

true. cost of a FF camera is very low (after all, it's usually a low grade/ vga camera.

i'd think that smart phones with wifi connection would then allow video conference calls, IM with video, etc... else, why do so many people have webcams? ;)

but anyway, dun think X10 would be the phone i'd get... i'm still looking around since my current phone is not dying on me yet.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones