• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Froya 2.2 trashed my MotoDroid 1 browsers, verizon solution: factory reset!

schpoink

Mar 20, 2010
I got the OTA 2.2 update pushed to my first generation Verizon Droid this morning.

:eek:

Nice new homescreens, love the apps menu, USB tethering option even showed up in my settings menu as selectable.

BUT.... nether my Dolphin Browser HD or the stock browser can connect to the Internet via 3g anymore (they work on WiFi though). It worked fine before the update.

After TWO hours on the phone with Verizon (one Customer Service guy and two Tech support guys, one of those a "Droid support" person), their solution: Factory Reset to 2.1 and don't update it if it asks again!

All other 3g Internet based services work fine: SMS, Facebook, Marketplace, News apps, etc.

I mean COME ON Verizon!

"The glitch is with Froyo and our mobile network but there's really nothing we can do" ... "The update is pushed by Motorola" "There is a second OTA update supposed to be coming in early September"

Folks, is this 2.2 update really this faulty? Or is this maybe just my particular phone?

I was also having an issue with my GPS no longer working for several weeks before the update. They couldn't figure anything out for that so they agreed to send me a new phone, which they said will have 2.1 on it.

Since I'm traveling next week, I am reluctant to accept another OTA update. Any opinions about whether I should?

Meanwhile, my daughter also has a Droid and I am thinking I should tell her not to allow the 2.2 update, but as I recall when I told it I didn't want to install 2.2 right away this morning, I started getting nage pop ups every couple of minutes. That's why I relented and agreed to the update. Is there anyway to tell it to just go away.

I am so disappointed. I've been waiting for these new features for weeks now like everyone else.

Is anyone else having these kinds of issues with the browser?

Anyone have a suggested fix?

Thanks for the replies.

* I did a Verizon refresh (or whatever) by dialing *228 - no change

* I uninstalled and reinstalled the Dolphin Browser HD, rebooted then
checked stock browser - no change

* Reinstalled Dolphin Browser HD - no change

* Rebooted twice - no change

* Took out the battery and then rebooted - no change

* I uninstalled Task Killer (why not?) - no change

* Turned off Bluetooth, wifi, gps - no change

It's as if the browsers aren't finding the right gateway or proxy or whatever Verizon uses. Everything else seems to get to the net fine.

Oh, yeah, the browsers work fine on WiFi

Thinking about doing the factory restore to 2.1, but I'm really liking everything else about Froyo.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies.

* I did a Verizon refresh (or whatever) by dialing *228 - no change

* I uninstalled and reinstalled the Dolphin Browser HD, rebooted then
checked stock browser - no change

* Reinstalled Dolphin Browser HD - no change

* Rebooted twice - no change

* Took out the battery and then rebooted - no change

* I uninstalled Task Killer (why not?) - no change

* Turned off Bluetooth, wifi, gps - no change

It's as if the browsers aren't finding the right gateway or proxy or whatever Verizon uses. Everything else seems to get to the net fine.

Oh, yeah, the browsers work fine on WiFi

Thinking about doing the factory restore to 2.1, but I'm really liking everything else about Froyo.

A factory restore will not take you back to 2.1. It will wipe all your applications and it would be like a fresh install of 2.2.

Upvote 0
The Verizon Tech told me a factory reset would return me to the version of the OS that was on the Droid when it was shipped.

Is that really not the case?

Absolutely not the case. All that does is wipe all your data and cache. It does not touch the system partition and would have no change in the version of android you are running. You would still be on 2.2 after a factory reset.

Upvote 0
Thanks OMJ and everyone else.

So what is it with these Verizon Techs and the bad information? It really does not give me a "warm and fuzzy" feeling.

I'm thinking I will just use the Droid as is (since Opera works) and maybe do the reset when the new phone comes if the new one doesn't come with 2.2.

I'd like to avoid reinstalling all my apps more than once.

Oddly -- REALLY oddly -- my GPS started working last night on my way home from work for the first time in 5 weeks!

I'm not sure why it started working all of a sudden, but I suspect it may have had to do with either uninstalling Task Killer or putting the Power Widget in the trash can.

I couldn't find a way to uninstall the Power Widget -- the one with the five big horizontal buttons to switch on/off WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, sync and brightness -- since it didn't show up in the Market or in my applications manager.

:thinking:

Upvote 0

So what is it with these Verizon Techs and the bad information? It really does not give me a "warm and fuzzy" feeling.

I'm thinking I will just use the Droid as is (since Opera works) and maybe do the reset when the new phone comes if the new one doesn't come with 2.2.

Oddly -- REALLY oddly -- my GPS started working last night on my way home from work for the first time in 5 weeks!

I'm not sure why it started working all of a sudden, but I suspect it may have had to do with either uninstalling Task Killer or putting the Power Widget in the trash can.

I couldn't find a way to uninstall the Power Widget -- the one with the five big horizontal buttons to switch on/off WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, sync and brightness -- since it didn't show up in the Market or in my applications manager.

the power widget is a stock application.

Upvote 0

There's a raging debate, but most people seem to find task killers are counterproductive with 2.2...

The power widget comes with froyo, so you can't "uninstall" it...

Verizon techs (my $0.02) range from extremely knowlegeable to total clowns, just like the people on this board... :D

A factory reset will not touch your version of android, you'll still be running 2.2, and it won't touch anything on your SD card...

If you have "Backup My Data" selected in the "Privacy" options you will not have to reinstall your apps after a factory reset. Almost everything restores itself, magically. (Or Google-ly to be more accurate). There are many threads that describe how to quickly and easily do a factory reset; it's really pretty easy, and will most likely solve your problems. (Do a search).

Let us know how you make out.

Upvote 0
Thanks to all.

I did a factory reset after backing up all my apps to the cloud and to the sd card with Astro and some other backup application.

All browsers now work.

Yes, it was a pain in the neck to reinstall all my mail accounts, get all the shortcuts back to my desktops. etc., but it was much better than the last time I did it, which I think was when I did not have the backup settings in Privacy selected.

2.2 is now very nice indeed!

Upvote 0
I'm glad to hear that you are back up and running.

I just wanted to let anyone who reads this thread know that it is actually recommended (by mods and users alike) to perform a factory reset after updating to Froyo (FRG01b). Some say it's only needed if there are any bugs while others say it's needed no matter what. But, none the less, it seems that a factory reset will clear almost any bug that is present with a Froyo update.

<snip>

Everyone who gets this: I highly recommend that after upgrading you perform a factory reset and then activate and log in and re-set up your apps.

If you do not perform a factory reset and set up all your apps again, then there are way too many variables that exist in terms of what could be causing problems, and it becomes extremely difficult to trace down.

Besides, telling people to do the factory reset is what everyone is suggesting anyway, so since this update (these updates I should say) are not being pushed out everywhere, update, then factory reset - in that order.

Kratos

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones