• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Froyo (2.09.405.8) update - Windows not required

teppic74

Android Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2010
This is an alternative installation method for this thread.

Read the first post in that thread fully before doing this.

As before, this will update or restore your phone to froyo, and the exact same conditions apply as with the RUU: you need a goldcard if your phone is branded, it will upgrade any GSM phone, and it will wipe your phone's settings completely. It will debrand a branded phone, which may affect your warranty.

This will not downgrade your phone, so will not work if your software version is higher than 2.09.405.8/2.10.405.2. However, if your OTA upgrade to 2.10.405.2 has failed (no wifi) then you can restore your phone with this.

The flash takes place after the file is downloaded to your phone, which means there's no chance of a USB connection problem, and this method doesn't require a computer, and there's no need to have HTC Sync.

Procedure

- First of all, if you want 2.09.405.8, download this file, rename it to PB99IMG.zip and put it on your sdcard.
- If you want 2.10.405.2 instead, download this file, rename it to PB99IMG.zip and put it on your sdcard.
- Next shutdown the phone and start it up by pressing the vol-down key and the power key together for around five seconds. This will start the bootloader.
- Wait for up to 20 seconds, and the phone will check for various files. It should start loading the downloaded file and then check it.
- Once fully checked, it will offer to let you flash the file. Press vol-up for yes.
- The phone will reboot fairly quickly, check the file again, and then flash the phone fully. At the end, select to reboot and you're finished.
- Once complete, remove the PB99IMG.zip file from your sdcard.

Problems/Questions

If you receive a CID error it is because you don't have a goldcard. If you think you have one you don't, so try making another.
If the phone does not find the PB99IMG.zip downloaded file, check that you haven't renamed it to PB99IMG.zip.zip. Otherwise try formatting your sdcard (FAT32) and try again.

This is an alternative installation method for this thread.

Read the first post in that thread fully before doing this.

As before, this will update or restore your phone to froyo, and the exact same conditions apply as with the RUU: you need a goldcard if your phone is branded, it will upgrade any GSM phone, and it will wipe your phone's settings completely. It will debrand a branded phone, which may affect your warranty.

This will not downgrade your phone, so will not work if your software version is higher than 2.09.405.8. However, if your OTA upgrade to 2.10.405.2 has failed (no wifi) then you can restore your phone with this.

The flash takes place after the file is downloaded to your phone, which means there's no chance of a USB connection problem, and this method doesn't require a computer.

Procedure

- First of all download this file, rename it to PB99IMG.zip and put it on your sdcard.
- Next shutdown the phone and start it up by pressing the vol-down key and the power key together for around five seconds. This will start the bootloader.
- Wait for up to 20 seconds, and the phone will check for various files. It should start loading the downloaded file and then check it.
- Once fully checked, it will offer to let you flash the file. Press vol-up for yes.
- The phone will reboot fairly quickly, check the file again, and then flash the phone fully. At the end, select to reboot and you're finished.
- Once complete, remove the PB99IMG.zip file from your sdcard.

Problems/Questions

If you receive a CID error it is because you don't have a goldcard. If you think you have one you don't, so try making another.
If the phone does not find the PB99IMG.zip downloaded file, check that you haven't renamed it to PB99IMG.zip.zip. Otherwise try formatting your sdcard (FAT32) and try again.

Thanks for this. I tried last night and actually got the same invalid model error (130) that I was getting with the windows solution.

I even factory reset the phone to try both solutions. Guess I am SOL for now....:(

Thanks again for helping folks like me.

Upvote 0
Question. I have a Telus Desire (branded). If I use a goldcard and the method above, is there a possibility of returning it to the original branded condition (through backup or any other method)? If so, how (point me to the right forum)?

Very much appreciated.

Lots of posts about this already - you can't rebrand a Telus phone, so you should check with Telus if they'll honour a warranty on a phone running official HTC but not Telus branded software. A backup can return you only to the rooted Telus ROM.

Upvote 0
If you get a model error, you'll never be able to flash it. It suggests you have different hardware - are you using a CDMA phone?

Nope it is a TELUS phone (HSPA). The weird part is other TELUS folks have made this work, which of course suggests I am doing something wrong, but this method seems completely idiot proof.

Going back to the windows thread there was also one other person with a TELUS phone who was getting the model error as well. Wonder if they had 2 different software loads out there....

Upvote 0
Lots of posts about this already - you can't rebrand a Telus phone, so you should check with Telus if they'll honour a warranty on a phone running official HTC but not Telus branded software. A backup can return you only to the rooted Telus ROM.

Ah I see. Thanks. Ya, I'm still new here, so once I looked around a little more I found some more info. I guess I'm just worried because I really want this phone to do the trick for me, but I want to see its potential with 2.2, but if I don't like it, I still want the option to take it back. I dunno, I guess I can always try.

Upvote 0
I've updated the thread. I can't seem to change the thread title though, so if a moderator could do that please.

Thanks very much for your help Teppic74.

My phone is now working fine on 2.09.405.8, but it says there is a System Software update available. I am ignoring it because when I accepted this - Twice) I lost the use of Wi-Fi and had to go back to 2.09.405.8.

The only question I have with ignoring it, is will that block any future OTA upgrades / updates that come in from HTC?

Or would I be better off flashing to 2.10.405.2 as a file PB99IMG.zip. I don't want to loose wi-Fi again because in this poor signal area I need it for Internet and any downloads.

Upvote 0
OTA upgrades are usually incremental, in other words you have to go from 2.09 to 2.10 to whatever.

If you install 2.10.405.2 and it doesn't work, you can always downgrade (using the tool I developed) and start again. But I think it's the OTA update failing, rather than 2.10.405.2 itself.

Thanks. I agree. I'll wait and see what happens with the next update.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones