• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Froyo = 2.1 in disguise!

What Are You More Exited About?

• Froyo is the best treat ever (2.2)!

Votes: 108 84.4%
  • Eclair's are better (2.1)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Like Johnny 5 - I need more input!

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • Leave Me Alone!

Votes: 11 8.6%

• Total voters

BlueIce5249

Android Expert
Mar 31, 2010
Cleveland, Ohio
Now that we're learning more and more about Froyo (besides what we already knew - that it's a tasty tasty treat!) am I the only one that thinks this is the update that we were all REALLY waiting for when 2.1 when was released? It's got flash, a better dock launcher, faster browser, better system memory management, ability to save apps to SD Card, etc. What do you think?

Reactions: connor11493
I would be really worried if Verizon didn't disable tethering. We all know how they frown on it, so if they don't disable it, that probably means they're tracking the data used through it some how.

Tethering itself isn't even disabled now. The question is whether or not they will disable the wifi hotspot or not. I don't think anyone expects them to completely disable tethering all together. I think they may keep the wifi hotspot, if nothing else it will put them ahead of ATT and possibly force ATT to use the same features on their already crappy network.

Upvote 0
I hope Verizon doesn't disable the tethering and wifi hotspot capabilities.

Verizon currently does not block the tethering options available in the Market (e.g. PDANet and EasyTether, which are currently USB/Bluetooth only). PLUS the Palm Pre Plus tethering (which includes a wifi hotspot) is available for free on Verizon. Therefore, I think the chances look good, although we'll admittedly have to wait for confirmation (as well as the actual release date).

Upvote 0
"Now, with the 2.2 update, you can store your apps on a microSD card."

this is one of my fav additions personally.

I'll like it if it's not tied specifically to the installation of Android on the phone. I switch ROMs constantly and not having to download everything over and over would be a godsend.

Verizon currently does not block the tethering options available in the Market (e.g. PDANet and EasyTether, which are currently USB/Bluetooth only). PLUS the Palm Pre Plus tethering (which includes a wifi hotspot) is available for free on Verizon. Therefore, I think the chances look good, although we'll admittedly have to wait for confirmation (as well as the actual release date).

Verizon has no choice in the matter; it's all about whether or not Google allows the tethering apps in the Market. And honestly, the only reason the Palm Pre Plus has free tethering is because Verizon needed to give people an incentive to buy a crappy phone from a dying company.

Upvote 0
Verizon has no choice in the matter; it's all about whether or not Google allows the tethering apps in the Market. And honestly, the only reason the Palm Pre Plus has free tethering is because Verizon needed to give people an incentive to buy a crappy phone from a dying company.

That was the point I was making. Verizon can't stop the tethering apps from the market, but they can disable tethering from the rom released for the droid. They don't like willy nilly tethering, so if the 2.2 update does include it, I'd assume that they modified the rom so Verizon has a way of tracking which data is used through tethering and which is not.

Upvote 0
Definitely. I'm just saying, if 2.2 OTA comes with tethering enabled... I'm going to let other people play with it first before I try turning it on XD

Heh, well no, if the 2.2 OTA lets us tether, I'll assume that means Verizon isn't going to do anything about it. If they include it in the ROM, that obviously means it's okay for use... :p

Upvote 0
Yeah I know, I've been using PDANet for awhile, I was talking about the wifi hotspot tethering.

Upvote 0
Your an idiot, your probably butthurt because verizon charged you for something you should have been overcharged for to begin with lol, first off google has nothing to do with allowing apps on the marketplace or not, hence an OPEN community, it was tmobile first who threw a fit because of the free tethering option and so forth, yes there are ways to do it but it voids terms and conditions on most carriers, which in turn voids the warranty on the phone. Verizon has been waiting for and will embrace a way to tether your phone to the cp, the 30 dollars monthly to have internet on your phone as well as 5g for tethering is a hell of a lot better than buying a seperate air card and paying 60 for 5g of usage..... and secondly, palm wanted a way to sell that phone, releasing it the middle of the uproar of the droid was probably a mistake by itself, the only people who like the phone are palm fanboys and people who want an "entry level" pda.

3rdly, know your facts, Verizon just went over 100m customers and has bought out multiple companies.... a dying company.....please rofl @ you

I am not going to resort to name calling like you did, but damn man...WTF is your problem?

Also, you should learn to READ a bit better. He was NOT calling Verizon a dying company. He was referring to PALM. He is right also. Palm as we now know it is dead. It has been swallowed by HP...Just thought I should CLEAR that up for you...

And actually google DOES have something to do with allowing apps in the market (or not). They simply allow anything that is non offensive (or requested to be pulled). ESPN said they did not have an android app because google is too slow in pulling off apps that have the ESPN name, content, logo, etc. Notice they did not say google DOESN'T do it, just that they are too slow. I know for a fact, that several ESPN apps have been pulled at ESPN's request, so your argument is invalid...

**EDIT** I should report your post, but since you only have 8 posts here, I will give you a break. If you continue to post in this manner, I would venture to bet a ban will come to you...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones