Froyo 2.2 and Mp4 Playback

Last Updated:

1. hikersc

hikersc Active Member This Topic's Starter

I have noticed that since my OTA update to 2.2 last week that some of my mp4 videos will no longer play. Strangely, some of the mp4 files that I had will play. The Gallery preview shows a blank box and if I click on it I get a "Sorry, this video cannot be played." These same videos played fine under 2.1.

Does anyone know that changed between 2.1 and 2.2 to cause some videos to play while others will not? It seems strange to me that they would take a function that was built into the system and break it for a system update.

As a side note, I downloaded RockPlayer (ARMv7) from the Market and it will play all my mp4's plus some other formats that 2.1 would not play.

Advertisement
  2. JayBirdHawaii

JayBirdHawaii Member

I tried RockPlayer v7 - audio and video are horribly out of sync .. running 2.2 on Droid .. Act 1 Video Player has been working well .. going to stick with that for now ..

3. SLeppert

SLeppert Member

Yeah, it looks like the 2.2 Update (FRG01B) nerfed the video playback subsystem on the phone. This affected both the Android player and Act 1 (which is just an interface for the Android player)

If you encode at a low enough bit rate and resolution, you can get video's to play, but for what I am used to playing on 2.1 (848x480 @1200kbps) it doesn't play at all (just audio).

And I am seeing the same sync issue that JayBird sees with rockplayer, the audio and video play at different speeds and diverge over time. My hope is that FRG22 will fix this, but we'll see... I'm tempted to root my phone to go back to 2.1 to get video playback working again...

4. Chugworth

Chugworth Well-Known Member

Actually, I've noticed the MP4 playback to be much improved in 2.2. In 2.1, if I tapped the play slider to seek to a different position, there would be a delay before it started to play, and sometimes the video would just stop. Now with 2.2, I can tap various points on the slider, and the videos jump to that spot almost instantly.

These are all videos converted with HandBrake and have a resolution of 854x480.

5. theParanoid04

theParanoid04 Member

Either use mp4 files or avi ones. Coz if you play an avi file, mp4 h264 wouldn't work (choppy) unless you restart your device!