• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Froyo 2.2 Canada!

OK so Froyo is successfully installed:

Some initial reactions.

What I Like:

Love the Pinch to Zoom on both the Home Screen and App Screen

Love the new Input Text Marker! (Without a trackball/trackpad/D-Pad this truly helps)

Love the Overall Froyo Experience! (Flash, WiFi, Move to SD, ETC...)

Disappointed:

GPS - Read a lot of reviews saying that GPS got improved and it sadly didn't. Decent lock speed if I'm standing outside, but have the phone in the car (you now the way GPS is meant to be used) and it won't lock on at all to Google Maps.

^ (One thing to Note is that I'm using an AT&T SIM card and if anyone knows if Bell uses their own GPS settings like Telus is doing with the Motorola Milestone and also knows where Bell is storing those settings I would extremely appreciate any info on the matter since this is useless in my car)

Only other disappointment is that the phone gets a lot warmer on the back with basic browsing with the exact same brightness settings as Eclair.

I've done a factory reinstall and sadly it did not improve either of the two things mentioned above.

Oh and one other side disappointment is with Youtube. Many of the vids that I used to watch in HQ aren't available anymore. The setting for HQ is there but it still plays in standard. Another bummer is that some vids on Youtube won't play on Mobile Phones. (You get a not available on Mobile Phones error message) yet I can play the exact same vid just fine on my Nokia e72 running on Symbian S60v3. Thought that might be a Flash thing, but it appears to be more of a security thing.

Overall:

A great update overall. (I know it seems like I harped on the negative but many in here already knew the positives that Froyo would bring).

I would update again from Eclair to Froyo (even though I've seen threads on XDA that are looking to downgrade since some have liked Eclair better)

^ But if if anyone has any fixes for the things I mentions above I would greatly appreciate it... :)

Upvote 0
so does anyone know if this fixed the recovery menu problem for those of us that have the first JH2 and never changed it to JH2 (the second version)?

what I mean is that there was the first JH2 update and another JH2 update only for those that didn't have the first JH2. Unfortuneately Samsung messed this upp and so the people that upgraded to the first one, months before the second one was even released, did not get the recovery menu...

SOooo anyone with the original JH2 tried upgrading?

Upvote 0
Dear xxxx:

Samsung reported earlier today, December 10, that an Android operating system upgrade was available for SaskTel Galaxy S Vibrant customers. The upgrade allows customer to move from Android 2.1 to Android 2.2.

Unfortunately, the upgrade is not currently working. The problem is being investigated and we hope the issue will be resolved as soon as possible. Please check sasktel.com > Support > Mobility > Samsung for updates on when the upgrade will be available to you.

Thank you for using www.sasktel.com.

Upvote 0
hey guys if you are on bell and have the first release of the phone hold off on the update. Did the update on saturday and worked beautifully all day till i recieved a text and everything started crashing. then the launcher crashed and phone is in constant reboot state now and recovery doesnt work... called samy tech support they got me to try stuff and said the phone is toast and got to a bell store and get it replaced. called bell tech and they said same thing go get it replaced b/c its under warranty. Go to a bell store and they give me the run around cant replace it, no loaner phones, you have to pay to fix it and blahh blahh after 2 tech tell me the phone is a write off. Great support from a company that gets over 70 dollars a month from me and was the cause of the problem.

Upvote 0
My phone just crashed today, and I have tried to no avail to do the 3 button recovery. I've updated to 2.2, and it looks like everyone is having the same problem as me. Go figure Samsung would do this kind of crap. Sigh, I never had this problem with blackberry. Even the blackberry desktop manager can hard reset the unit. I don't see why the crap kies can't.

I just made a new post about this but it seems its happening to more then half of SGS owners. I just did mine a day ago and I'm having forced shutdowns.

the thing that ticks me off is bell is telling everyone thats its gonna be 5 weeks for the phone to be fixed and sent back

Ohh by the called up samsung and they have a special section for us "if you are calling about a defective samsung galaxy s, press 1" thats how I know theres trouble

Upvote 0
So I'm going to try to flash my device back to jh2 (elclair) via Odin. Wish me luck. Bastards Samsung.

Why bother? Your just delaying the problem. We need a fix, and I dont know if Samsung is willing to do a hardware fix considering they are already moving ahead to the next and greatest unit.

I do know if we dont make some noise we might just be stuck with this.

Upvote 0
Well it's started with mine now too. After 5 days of no problems I thought my SGS, being only a month old, perhaps had some hardware revision that kept it from having any issues with Froyo. One thing of note: the phone was never turned off for 5 days and that seems to have been what delayed the onset of problems.

I got a new case for the SGS and accidentally hit the Power button for too long and it shut off... or rather, gave itself a factory reset. All contacts and apps lost. So I reinstalled the contacts from my PC backup with Keis, after lots of difficuly trying to get Keis to recognize the phone!

The trick here is in the SGS, have USB "Ask on Connection," and then Keis will recognize the SGS.

Now when I power down it loses all data, as if it is doing another factory reset. Back to Keis to reload my contacts. Oh, but before that it took about 4 tries to power up the phone and get past the S logo > black screen. So now I don't dare turn off the phone again for fear I'll never get it back on.

One final note, both the Internal and External SD cards are not recognized.

Upvote 0
Well it's started with mine now too. After 5 days of no problems I thought my SGS, being only a month old, perhaps had some hardware revision that kept it from having any issues with Froyo. One thing of note: the phone was never turned off for 5 days and that seems to have been what delayed the onset of problems.

I got a new case for the SGS and accidentally hit the Power button for too long and it shut off... or rather, gave it self a factory reset. All contacts and apps lost. So I reinstalled the contacts from my PC backup with Keis, after lots of difficuly trying to get Keis to recognize the phone!

The trick here is in the SGS, have USB set for Prompt, and then Keis will recognize the SGS.

Now when I power down it loses all data, as if it is doing another factory reset. Back to Keis to reload my contacts. Oh, but before that it took about 4 tries to power up the phone and get past the S logo > black screen. So now I don't dare turn off the phone again for fear I'll never get it back on.

One final note, both the Internal and External SD cards are not recognized.

Hi there,

Sorry, (I'm a Mac user using Parallels to do this).... how do I set USB for prompt... I think you mean "Ask for Connection." I'll give it a whirl, though it's disconnecting for me when the phone goes into "Downloading... do not disconnect target!!!" mode. I doubt it will prompt then...

Thanks.

Upvote 0
In Settings go to > Wireless and Network > USB Settings > Ask on Connection.

If the reports are true that this is strictly a BELL Vibrant issue, with all the millions of other SGS phones worldwide not having this problem, BELL CANADA is truly worthy of our scorn and disgust for putting their own virus-like garbage into the FroYo update.

Upvote 0
If you read about all the people having problems with 2.2, why upgrade? Just curious.

The main reason i upgraded was better battery life and flash player.
I have upgraded my phone and my wifes phone. Granted its only been a day but so far everything is perfect. I would add that we had very few apps on the phone perhaps that went in our favor. Sasktel took forever to release perhaps they had some bugs worked out?

Generally i have little or no luck at all, for this to work im very impressed.

Upvote 0
I upgraded mine. At first it seemed like it was messed up, and wouldn't get passed the flashing S logo. But after a while (I think it was at least an hour) it finally booted. The next few times I restarted it after that were kind of slow too, but everything seems normal now.

Too bad I forgot to backup everything beforehand...

Upvote 0
I took the Vibrant into to a dealer to have the update put on, and it bricked the phone (Sasktel network). Samsung says it must be sent in. Lovely. I spoke with a tech this afternoon at Samsung Canada who said it is a known problem with the update! Wow! Like they haven't been testing this all year, from what I've read.

It seems the better the technology today, the more trouble it is.

Upvote 0
i updated mine with Bell (Vancouver).... but my phone wouldn't turn on BEFORE i updated it, so I called Bell Tech and they did a factory reset, I updated, and no problems at all. Froyo's running smooth, GPS is locking (if it doesn't work, change the settings from Stand-alone to MS Based... just google it, there are 1 trillion tutorials on how to do this... really helps, even on Eclair), and the flash player is great. There's a new Android Market as well which works great. Battery life is much improved and just overall less lag and glitchiness. Highly recommend this update. Maybe backup everything on to an SD or your computer, reset your phone and then try updating.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones