• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

FroYo (2.2) coming in mid-September!!! READ MORE!

False hope is better then False negativity (*Cough* you *Cough*)
:rolleyes:

Don't be a child. Negativity is a part of life and a rumor is nothing to get excited about especially a rumor started by someone on a forum. You can live in rumorville all you want, but I'm not into self diseption and go by the facts.

Even lgproductpro on that forum denounces it.

Upvote 0
Yeah, guys. This is more than likely bunk. That is, LG won't be coming out with an official 2.2 update this September. But I'm holding out hope for the homebrew guys.

On the dev side, We've already got a froyo-ready kernel and recovery image... Only a matter of time before a ROM is released.

This is the only way we will have froyo in september, and I'm okay with that.

I doubt LG would just drop Froyo on us without giving a date first, but we may get more info this month. I'm expecting a loose release date set this month.

Reactions: aaronhopkins21
Upvote 0
I truly feel that if there was gonna be a mid September release (like today), there would be a leak by now... Someone would already have 2.2 under a microscope at home dissecting it....

If we have it by Thanksgiving I will be surprised... But verizon has really been pushing the Ally cause a ton of people have it now, and most are first time Android users... With that target market, they dont know Froyo from Windows Mobile, so no huge rush for the upgrade...

Upvote 0
With that target market, they dont know Froyo from Windows Mobile, so no huge rush for the upgrade...

i hear ya outlaw, but some of us first-time android users are actually learning about their new OS and just how different it is. i love this platform, i want my froyo, and the ally is my first(but certainly not last) android phone.

hopefully we will know something more concrete soon.

Upvote 0
i hear ya outlaw, but some of us first-time android users are actually learning about their new OS and just how different it is. i love this platform, i want my froyo, and the ally is my first(but certainly not last) android phone.

hopefully we will know something more concrete soon.

+1 I'm in the same boat as you. I've know linux but this is the first android phone I've owned. Although, I do agree with what Outlaw said. The ally is marketed towards the entry level android user, thus many have no idea about eclair or froyo, or rooting and what a rom is. Lg probably won't see a change in sales/customer satisfaction with or without a 2.2 update.

Upvote 0
Yeah truth be told, most of the people I know have smartphones, and in conversations where froyo/2.2 comes up no one knows what I am talking about until I explain it.

Most android users that are not on the internet mucking about in forums have no idea what version of android they have, and besides that this community has screwed itself over by holding the 2.2 update as some sort of holy grail, the benefits described seem ridiculous to me and it seems silly to think that everything will be that much better.

As it stands with the custom rom Trident made we only need froyo for the ms exchange clients. We have apps2sd, tether, oc kernels, gridlock kernels, by the time froyo comes it will be pointless.

Upvote 0
The only thing I liked about Froyo on Droid was the speed boost... I didnt use anything else that WASNT already in 2.1....So Im sure I can wait on it....

( One cool thing that Froyo did have, was that it would put your apps back in on hard reset)
Flash player 10.1 ? It really expands your browsing experience. Also not a big deal to many epople but apps stored on SD card.

Upvote 0
Verizon uses the Ally to move the LG texting crowd, over to a full data plan.... Most of these are the younger crowd and are jumping over to Android because everyone else is, and the phones are affordable...

Guess that's how they're getting me :]

meh...I currently have an enV2 and it was good while it lasted (battery dies quickly now and the part that the charger connects to is broken) so I really need an upgrade

I admit, I wasn't really into smart phones until recently (I then stumbled across the Android Forums ;] )...I've been lurking in the root forum a lot and the fact that you can "hack" and really personalize the phone made me fall in love with Androids.

Getting my Ally this weekend and since I have to get the stupid $30 data plan, I'm going to use the heck out of the internet and everything

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones