froyo 2.2 for HTC desire (on Telstra) where for art thou?

Last Updated:

1. 4ngi3

4ngi3 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

From what I've read online froyo has arrived but the HTC website says it will be available as an ota config but I just want to know when I should expect my ota msg. Does it get released by country? If so I'm guessing Australia will be last as usual. But I just WANT IT WANT IT NOW NOW NOW!! Please: )

Advertisement
  2. race4life

race4life New Member

If you are not able to wait for the customized HTC rom from (H)Telstra then you can search

1. Create gold card -http://theunlockr.com/2010/03/10/how-to-create-a-goldcard/

2. Root the desire - unrevoked [its very simple.. follow the forums ][HOWTO] Root Your Desire In 1 Click With UnrEVOked! (UnrEVOked 3.2 Compatible) - xda-developers

3. Download the RRU- Manually install the official Froyo build on HTC Desire | Geekword - Technology Blog there is a link in step 1 to download the RRU.

4. Backup all the contacts etc using mybackup or titanium backup.

5. Insert the gold card into the sd card slot.

6. Start the installation of the RRU downloaded in step 3.

Mind you, all the telsta APNs will be lost so make sure that you have noted them down somewhere safe.

REMEMBER FOR ALL THE FUTURE UPDATES YOU WILL NEED TO HAVE THE GOLD CARD IN THE PHONE DURING THE UPDATE PROCESS.

Good Luck.

3. moe3754

moe3754 Well-Known Member

4. macca81

macca81 Well-Known Member

telstra keeps saying its about 3 weeks away... the guys in the telstra shop tell me they are waiting on it also and are getting frustrated with it (one has already done froyo from online). why its taking so long? because telstra rank customer service VERY low on their KPI's...

5. patpending

patpending Well-Known Member

I work in a T-Shop + own a Desire. Very frustrating dealing with customers wanting the update already!

Given the fact I work in a shop...am privy to all the information regarding updates....I've STILL rooted my Desire and never looked back.

Some people have thought it'd affect Next G coverage - nope. Balls. All still good.

To be honest, you'll be waiting another month at LEAST before Telstra will release it, especially over the air.

There was a second update on the HTC Website, but it doesn't actually say what the update is...might be worth a look maybe.

ROM Upgrade for HTC Desire (Telstra)

Dave
    HTC Desire
    Rooted
    LeeDrOiD_V2.1a
    DeFroST 4.9
    Virtuous

6. 4ngi3

thanks everyone, i'll try the rom upgrade on teh htc website first and see how it goes. if its not it i'll start doing that gold card thingy wish me luck! :D

7. moe3754

moe3754 Well-Known Member

You do not need to root to get Froyo I have it and my phone is not rooted, there is a post on this forum that tells you how to get a stock Froyo Ruu on your phone without rooting, it works very well because I have done it to my Desire and no it is not rooted at all. I will not root because I had a rooted Nexus one and after a week or so decided that it was not worth doing!!!!
    http://androidforums.com/htc-desire/148932-froyo-ruu-update-available.html

This is the link to the thread and you will need a Gold Card to do this!!!!

8. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Well-Known Member

thats 2.1 unfortunately

9. 4ngi3

ok i guess i won't wory about it then

10. gr8lats

gr8lats Member

I did. I used UnRevoked3 on my Telstra Desire and love it. Was running out of memory and now rarely go below 90mb on internal memory. Got tired of waiting......

11. patpending

patpending Well-Known Member

LeeDrOiD 2.1 is still Android 2.2 ..... it's just the 2.1 version of his work ..........