Froyo 2.2 (official, unoffcial, leaked, whatever you wanna call it) bricked my phone

Last Updated:

1. Agent Jones

Agent Jones Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

i followed the instructions and it did everything and then got to the point where it turns back on. it went through the sprint and 4g logos on boot up and then bam it hung. i waited 45 mins and then pulled the battery. tried to boot up and the same thing would happen. tried this 4 times and same results. took it to sprint and they swapped it out for a new one.

i know i did it right cause i did the update on the new one and it did it without a hitch. maybe the first one was just a bad one. it was one of the ones from the may Google convention.

anyways all is well now thanks to sprint and the warranty/insurance plan....didn't pay anything. Just walked in explained the situation. they said give them 20 mins. walked back in and had a new evo waiting for me. opened it up and backed up all my google/facebook contacts and then appbrain did all my apps. smooth transaction

so if anyone has any problems and has the warranty/insurance with sprint they will take care of ya!

Advertisement
  2. DarkNeo

DarkNeo Well-Known Member

Live and learn lol. Glad you got an EVO so fast.

3. twospirits

twospirits AF's janitor Moderator

Was yours rooted, not rooted. Which instructions did you follow with do many floating around? What was your version number? 1, 2, 3?

Might have been a fluke, being you are the first one. Regardless its nice to hear that Sprint gave you a new one.

TS

4. Agent Jones

it was non rooted. and im pretty sure i followed everything perfect cause i did the exact same thing with the new evo. i knew the risk when i did it and knew i was covered. i live by sprint insurance lol. even if it was my fault worst thing that would happen would be a 100 deductible. but out of all the problems i have ever had with smartphones, as long as it wasnt physical damage, sprint replaces then for me. (as long as you can replicate the issue, which i could this morning)

5. Agent Jones

here are the instructions i followed. i dont think it was the instructions fault, think just a bad phone. After going through so many problems with the palm pre (went throught about 7 of them between me and my fiance that also had a pre) the sprint store knows me lol

6. sabertwist

sabertwist Well-Known Member

Glad to hear you got a replacement so fast with the shortages going around. It took my friend a week for a replacement.

7. heavychevy

heavychevy Well-Known Member

That's pretty bold for you to have the courage to do the update again on your brand new phone. Glad you worked it out. And got a fresh phone to boot.

8. BetterMost

BetterMost Banned

Was it a service unit or in a retail box? what is the Mfg date on the new handset? I like to keep track of where they are as far as build dates go.