• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Froyo 2.2 Overhyped?

I still don't understand why people feel it was 'hyped'. There was a lot of coverage, of course...JIT is a big deal and so is native flash support and Cloud 2 device. Everything promised has been delivered (ok, we didn't get the 3D gallery...we'll get that soon enough). So, where exactly was the 'hype' that's being claimed?

I think 'hyped' is code for 'I didn't bother understanding what was being promised, I just read the headlines on forums'.

I completely agree with the quote above. The only hype is the hype people led themselves to believe in.

EDIT: That's why I'm still on 2.1, and waiting for everything to be perfect before I jump ship to 2.2. :p

Upvote 0
I would say it was overhyped. That doesn't mean that the update is a disappointment, but there were tons of posts asking when it was coming out and fights over who's intel was better in regards to the release date. I think that it meets all realistic expectations, but so many people on this board acted like Jesus himself was going to personally install the update.

Upvote 0
Ummmmmmm, OK......

You do realize you can turn sense off right? What does this video show that the EVO with 2.2 does not have????

:thinking:

You cannot FULLY turn Sense off. Photo Gallery, Camera, Dialer, etc, all 'Sense UI' crap. I loved Sense UI when it was on my Hero running Android 1.5. It is essentially unchanged since then. Yuk!

Reactions: WaSTeLaNd
Upvote 0
not in Gmail app.

Never saw the point of that app. Yeah, I get it does push - if you leave Talk running.

Just don't see the point of single-server clients, so I live with the polling deficiency of Mail. My desktop polls, and polling doesn't seem like any bigger crime than Talk running - just doesn't give that instant show - that I'm not used to anyways.

Bummer about GMail, tho.

PS - Yeah, I'd say full Flash and the beginnings of H.264 video on Android are pretty decent tweaks. I think it would be odd if we somehow just got a whole 'nother OS just changing a minor rev number. We started at 2.x, we're still gonna be at 2.x until Gingerbread.

And WaSTeLaND - no need looking for pinch in this gallery - that's a feature of a completely different gallery app. We want that one - in 24-bit color. ;)

Reactions: WaSTeLaNd
Upvote 0
i dont think its over hyped

Linpack scores

2.1 Stock not rooted 7.003 0.77 seconds
IMAG0149.jpg

2.2 Stock leak not rooted 40.702 0.13 seconds :D
IMAG0263.jpg

Reactions: Complex757
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones