Froyo 2.2 problems (Vodafone)

Last Updated:

1. GeoffBot

GeoffBot Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm vodafone branded and have had Froyo for a few weeks now and it's very sluggish - particularly texting with handcent sms (which I've reinstalled to be sure). When receiving one in standby the screen lights up (as it always does when you get a text) but it then takes literally 10 seconds for it to appear and the alert tone is delayed still.

I don't do a lot else on it to be honest but it does definitely seem a lot slower :mad:.

Anyone else had this problem? Can I go back to 2.1?

Advertisement
  2. ch424

ch424 Member

My Legend also slowed down considerably. I found a thread on the Vodafone forum that suggested turning the phone off, removing the battery and SIM, booting it without the SIM, then rebooting with the SIM replaced. I did that this morning and the phone's really fast, but I don't know if it'll eventually slow down again.

3. GeoffBot

GeoffBot Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks. I tried the sim-free reboot but that didn't fix it. Hard reset sorted it though - much faster now :)

4. techno12

techno12 Member

Yes I've had my phone slow down to about 1 frame per second loads of times since the 2.2 update. It never did it once prior to this. So, I'm having to shut it down far more often than I used to. I haven't tried the SIM/battery removal though so when it does it again I'll give it a go.

The built-in SMS is broken as well. If you're typing a message, then get rid of the keyboard and scroll up the screen (normally I do this to refer to a previous message), sometimes when you scroll back down to resume entering text it won't allow any further text entry. The border doesn't turn green and the whole thing slows down to a crawl, and any input you do manage to make appears several seconds after the keypress. The only solution is to save the message as a draft, restart the phone and carry on. Again, this all used to be working prior to the broken SMS update we had a few months ago.

5. dcb03

dcb03 New Member

Unfortunately, this issue is looking more and more widespread as people upgrade their Legend devices. I too have notice a severe performance degredation after updating to 2.2 from 2.1-update1.

My experience started noticably quicker immediately post update. The phone operated well with no noticable lag. The performance problems started to occur a week later and since then I have been painstakingly anaylsying, uninstalling and tweaking my phone's set-up to identify the source.

To date, there is no discernable pattern. I have decided that the update has (to all intensive purposes) bricked my phone since making phone calls or texting is not possible when 'the slowdown' starts. The performance degrades with no discernable pattern, sometimes within a minute of restarting, other times within a day of restarting but always within three days.

When android.process had to force close I knew I needed a new ROM. Problem is now determining whether to go back to 2.1 (not SMS nightmare 2.1-update1) or give 2.2 another 'fresh' chance.

Shonk.

6. Agnosticc

Agnosticc Member

Disgraceful stuff.