Froyo 2.2 Trickling to some through OTA

Last Updated:

1. AFAngryWarrior

AFAngryWarrior Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

From Engadget - Android 2.2 upgrade for Droid X may already be trickling out, other Droids shortly? -- Engadget

[​IMG]

"We've already gathered that Verizon, Moto, and HTC all seem to be pretty well committed to bumping most of their Droid models to Froyo (as well they should), but things are starting to get real -- really real. First off, we've been fed a shot of a tipster's Droid X that has apparently already been blessed with 2.2 over the air; the baseband version is a tick older than the one in a shot leaked over on My Droid Life, but it's anyone's guess how Motorola is staging this and what the final gold binary really contains. We've also seen a 2.2 ROM for the Droid Incredible leak recently (and the Droid before that), so uncorroborated rumors we're seeing that three of the four retail Droids will be getting 2.2 by the 15th of next month aren't necessarily crazy. Remember: think positive thoughts."

I did an OTA check today, I'm not one of the lucky ones. Anyone received this OTA notification yet?

Advertisement
  2. JRunSW20

JRunSW20 Well-Known Member

Think it's a fake cause if you look at the System version it still has the .604 patch that we currently have on our DX's with 2.1

3. dirkbonn

dirkbonn Well-Known Member

Good catch JRun.... I missed that. I would think that the System version would change with a firmware version upgrade. It did when we rec'd the 2.1-update1.

I'm patiently/impatiently waiting for the 2.2 Froyo update.

4. Fenotyp

Fenotyp Well-Known Member

It's a fake/photoshop. Check out the screen above, then look at where the "2.1-update 1" is on your actual DX. On ALL items, the subtext is fully left-aligned.

Edit: Also, I seriously hope that I'm wrong and that 2.2 is rolling out and will have been automagically installed while I sleep tonight.

5. AFAngryWarrior

AFAngryWarrior Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I dont think its photoshop. The 2.2 is left aligned, but because it starts with the 2 the curves make it look like its not flush. I can't see any marks to say it was copied or pasted either or dithered in.

6. Fenotyp

Fenotyp Well-Known Member

It's a good photoshop. The current firmware version is 2.1 (starts with a "2") and is seriously fully left aligned. It actually sticks out a little to the left side of the "F" in Firmware. If you have a DX, go to Settings > About Phone and you'll see what I mean. :)

7. Android_LIFE

Android_LIFE Well-Known Member

I am leaning towards fake, if the .604 doesn't give it away, the obvious photoshopping job, not to mention
    V V V
    A major selling point for the Droid2 would be for it to be the first device to ship and to be sold with Froyo; would almost have to give this one away as fake...
    Personally, I really don't see any other device getting it first besides the Droid 2.
    The Droid1 is responsible for igniting the Android success over at VZ.
    But then again, I'd still love to be proven wrong by Motorola/VZ ; with an earlier than expected OTA.
    Droid 1 was also first device to get 2.0...
    See an upcoming pattern here?

8. novemberwhiskey

novemberwhiskey Well-Known Member

i dunno, but when i check for an update, it just keeps spinning forever never spitting back a result.

usually it will say up to date or there is something available.

9. Kaleb Randleaxe

Kaleb Randleaxe Well-Known Member

See attachment. Also the .604 is a dead giveaway.

Attached Files:

10. jangatang

jangatang Well-Known Member

nice work. it looks illegitimate.

11. Kaleb Randleaxe

Kaleb Randleaxe Well-Known Member

Yeah. Unfortunately. :[

12. jp3_99

jp3_99 Active Member

At the moment mine comes back with "check for update was not available at this time. Try again later." Normally it comes back with a currently up to date, so maybe they are in the process of pushing it out, one can only hope.

13. effin_eric

effin_eric Well-Known Member

14. Wolfedude88

Wolfedude88 Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure that one is real, there is a download link for it. Also I believe quite of few people have installed it already. Unfortunately for us we can't do that because we cannot load custom roms, and unless I am mistaken that is required when downloading this leak.

But this could mean that we will be getting the 2.2 update relatively soon.

15. mazz0310

mazz0310 Well-Known Member

That update is signed, meaning we would be able to install it, except for the fact that it's for the incredible only.

16. dimitri407

dimitri407 Well-Known Member

Mine was just spinning and not returning any results. So I shut it off and turned it back on ad now it says that there are no updates available for me. Damn.

17. darreno1

darreno1 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure this is real.

18. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

Reminds me of the old Incredible Thread days: shopped ;)

19. Wolfedude88

Wolfedude88 Well-Known Member

Agreed, while I do think it is coming soon, but that is definitely shopped. Or at least everything points to it being shopped.

20. mig991

mig991 Member

21. dscottjr81

dscottjr81 Well-Known Member

So will we have to force this update if we are rooted?

22. acoastal

acoastal Well-Known Member

You're probably right and the picture is probably fake, but I don't see why it has to be the first with 2.2. I thought the Droid2 would be mostly for people who still need/want a slide out keyboard. I know my friend is holding out for the Droid2 because he wants that physical keyboard. IDK, just a thought.

23. Old Man

Old Man Well-Known Member

There was apparently some push to have the Droid 2 be able to be marketed as the first phone to come with Android 2.2, which might be seen as a selling point for some. However, a phone that comes with Android 2.1 Eclair and can be updated to FroYo is not really the same thing as one coming with FroYo. So I guess they could continue to sell phones that come with Android 2.1 and have 2.2 updates available and still market the D2 as the first phone to come with FroYo.

24. Piiman

Piiman Well-Known Member

The masses are going to be concerned with keyboard or no keyboard more than what level the OS is on the D2.

25. swaldrop

swaldrop Well-Known Member

Screw Gingerbread... I just got an OTA for 'Pecan Pie' :)

[​IMG]

ratchetjaw likes this.