• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Froyo 2.2 update fail (yellow exclamation point)

i dont have the 2.2 zip file i have the 2.2 unzipped how do i get the zip file to my phone?

Use the one in the zip provided by pasta. Don't unzip it, mount your phone and copy the zip from your computer to the root of your sd card. Rebot your phone into recovery mode and click on the update.zip

Reactions: adamtrott
Upvote 0
did you happen to get rid of the email app?

What??

I've learned that getting rid of anything before 2.2 is installed just causes a huge headache. If you see my post above, I'm gonna have reformat my phone and do a factory reset before I can install it.

Edit: Besides, with the 2.2 speed (and size increases due to App2sd), we may not have to remove anything anymore.

Upvote 0
factory reset doesnt reinstall deleted apps. ive allready done that lol. im redownloading all the stock apks

I think that means you want to return to stock using the steps provided in the one pastapost. The one with the update.zip

Edit: If you have a better idea though, I'm all ears. I haven't gotten an answer back yet on how to backup all my app settings.

Upvote 0
1. Power down the phone. Press and hold the volume down, send, and end keys. The Samsung start up logo displays. Continue to hold the buttons down until the recovery screen displays.
2. Using the volup/down button, highlight wipe cache partition. Press the center button on the optical joystick to complete the action. The display returns to the Android system recovery screen.
3. Use the optical joystick to highlight wipe data/factory reset. Press the center button on the optical joystick to complete the action.
4. The Wiping cache screen displays. Press the volume up key to continue.
5. download your update.zip from Froyo 2.2 DL05 update for intercept

6. Use the optical joystick to highlight apply sdcard:update.zip. Press the center button on the optical joystick to complete the action.

good luck

Upvote 0
1. Power down the phone. Press and hold the volume down, send, and end keys. The Samsung start up logo displays. Continue to hold the buttons down until the recovery screen displays.
2. Using the volup/down button, highlight wipe cache partition. Press the center button on the optical joystick to complete the action. The display returns to the Android system recovery screen.
3. Use the optical joystick to highlight wipe data/factory reset. Press the center button on the optical joystick to complete the action.
4. The Wiping cache screen displays. Press the volume up key to continue.
5. download your update.zip from Froyo 2.2 DL05 update for intercept

6. Use the optical joystick to highlight apply sdcard:update.zip. Press the center button on the optical joystick to complete the action.

good luck

To be clear, those instructions do not apply if you have rooted/temp-rooted and deleted any of the stock crapware.

Upvote 0
For thoise looking for the update.zip?

Froyo 2.2 DL05 update for intercept

It looks like it is indeed a 49.5mb file, but I did ask in the thread to be sure.

After literally ALL DAY messing with it, I just got 2.2 installed, using that link (and the various links that branch off from it). I'll try to write up a clearer guide soon. Right now I'm cradling my brain and massaging my sanity.

I'll probably never root again. LOL

Upvote 0
Where can I get the azonmp3.apk? I don't want to have to do anything drastic to get my phone to look like when I bought it (as noted in the link above), considering all I did was temp root and remove the amazon application, nascar, and football (I think that's all...I can't even remember now, but the updater is only asking for azonmp3.apk so far).

Upvote 0
Here's my simplified version of the instructions, specifically for folks having problems due to rooting or temp-rooting. Get the downloads from the original links. I just provided the exact file names so there's no doubt that you've downloaded the right things.

Everything after Step 1 is from the link Pastafarian posted here. The instructions from page 4 (for VM users) really helped spell it out for me. I just thought I'd try to write it up a little easier.

1. Backup everything on your phone with My Backup Pro from Market (free version has 30-day trial). Do both apps and data.

2. Go ahead and install the Intercept drivers from the Samsung site here. Also, make sure you already have update.zip at the root of your SD card. Get update.zip here.

3. Download and install SWUpgrade (SamsungMoment_Update.exe) & reboot if requested. Download it here (some versions have been problematic, so I uploaded the one that worked for me). Then install the patch (SDX Samsung Updater Patch.exe). Get the patch here.

4. Then browse to C:\Program Files\Samsung Electronics\SWUpgrade\Models\Binary and delete the SPHM900 file in there. Not doing so may very well perma-brick your phone. Do NOT delete the SamsungPST_SPHM900.dll that is one folder up. I made that mistake and it hung me up for like an hour.

5. Download SPH-M910_MR_DF27_REL_156.tar, which will be your stock update file you'll be flashing with. You can get it from SPH-M910_MR_DF27_REL_156.tar.zip (courtesy of "adamtrott"). Make sure you rename it and remove the .md5 file extension, so it's just "SPH-M910_MR_DF27_REL_156.tar". Copy it to the binary folder.

6. Time to get down to business. Put your phone into download mode (shut down, then hold Vol Down + Camera + End Call) and hook it up to the USB. Start up SWUpgrade, maximize it, & accept the agreement.

Ignore all the onscreen instructions. If you followed these directions, you've already done everything it wants you to do, and you get to just hit "Next" like an angry monkey until it starts flashing the phone, which will bring up a blue loading bar that will roughly correspond with the one on your phone's screen. Wait till it completes (it will pop up a box for you to OK out of). Pow!

7. Final step. Reboot into recovery (Vol Down + Call + End Call), and select "apply sd card :update.zip".

Watch your phone flash (the "Updating Modem" step takes the longest, so don't panic) and enjoy some sweet sweet frozen yogurt! Make sure you always read the ingredients though, and avoid anything with "carmine" in it. That's the mashed up bug asses (and eggs) they use for coloring. True story, bro. Google it.

After you're done, go to the market and redownload MyBackup and restore your apps and settings. Do "check all" but be careful to read any prompts as they come up before blindly clicking. I lost my Angry Birds save, but I really don't give a crap at this point. If I ever decided to temp root again, I can prolly slap it back on with the backup I made from Titanium Backup.

Hope this helps someone!

PS, Big thanks to adamtrott for brainstorming with me on this thing with me for literally 10 hours.

Upvote 0
So my GTALK app isn't in the place it's supposed to be. I re-downloaded the .APK after doing a temp root to remove the bloat, but since I temp-rooted I didn't get the .APK back in the system/apps folder.. I just got it on my phone so I could use the market and not get that silly force close error every 5 seconds.

Will the steps above work for me if I follow them, or am I going to need to do yet another temp root to put GTALK back into the "correct" folder first? I'm downloading the stuff as we speak, but haven't gotten started yet.

Thanks in advance!!

My first post/question, btw... Go easy on me. :)

Upvote 0
So my GTALK app isn't in the place it's supposed to be. I re-downloaded the .APK after doing a temp root to remove the bloat, but since I temp-rooted I didn't get the .APK back in the system/apps folder.. I just got it on my phone so I could use the market and not get that silly force close error every 5 seconds.

Will the steps above work for me if I follow them, or am I going to need to do yet another temp root to put GTALK back into the "correct" folder first? I'm downloading the stuff as we speak, but haven't gotten started yet.

Thanks in advance!!

My first post/question, btw... Go easy on me. :)

I'm not sure I fully understand. Couldn't you just put the apk into your download folder (for example), then install it from your file manager? Wouldn't that put it where it belongs? By "the steps above" do you mean the ones to install 2.2 on your phone? Does your phone already have 2.2?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones