• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Froyo 2.2 Update For Motorola Droid Please Help

Yes I believe Im rooted with Universal Androot

OK so if you are rooted with a custom recovery or if any system files have been altered as a result of root activities, you will not be able to receive over the air (OTA) updates. So you can update by flashing a stock, rooted ROM for your device if you do in fact have a custom recovery. Or you can flash an sbf to unroot the phone and return to a fully stock configuration at which point you could receive OTA updates again.

The only wildcard on flashing your way forward is that you are so far behind in your current OS version that there MAY be certain radio or bootloader requirements as you move forward. I am not an expert on this phone so I'm not sure if that condition exists in this case or not. Hopefully an OG Droid expert can chime in to suggest the best path.

Upvote 0
OK so if you are rooted with a custom recovery or if any system files have been altered as a result of root activities, you will not be able to receive over the air (OTA) updates. So you can update by flashing a stock, rooted ROM for your device if you do in fact have a custom recovery. Or you can flash an sbf to unroot the phone and return to a fully stock configuration at which point you could receive OTA updates again.

The only wildcard on flashing your way forward is that you are so far behind in your current OS version that there MAY be certain radio or bootloader requirements as you move forward. I am not an expert on this phone so I'm not sure if that condition exists in this case or not. Hopefully an OG Droid expert can chime in to suggest the best path.

I undid the root on the app just now and the update still wont so in my settings

Upvote 0
Wow, never heard of an unroot button, you guys have cool tools for that phone. So I'm not sure what that does but evidently it doesn't reflash stock which is what you need. So I'm still of the belief that you'll need to flash an sbf stock configuration to the phone. That'll bring it back to true stock at which point updates should be accepted. Being non-savvy on the Moto scene, I'd wonder if you can just flash the most recent sbf and be done with it OR if you need to flash the sbf for the OS you are currently running, then update via OTA's. I would assume the prior rather than the latter but I'm just not positive.

Upvote 0
Wow, never heard of an unroot button, you guys have cool tools for that phone. So I'm not sure what that does but evidently it doesn't reflash stock which is what you need. So I'm still of the belief that you'll need to flash an sbf stock configuration to the phone. That'll bring it back to true stock at which point updates should be accepted. Being non-savvy on the Moto scene, I'd wonder if you can just flash the most recent sbf and be done with it OR if you need to flash the sbf for the OS you are currently running, then update via OTA's. I would assume the prior rather than the latter but I'm just not positive.

And how do I do this flash sbf configuration

Upvote 0
Actually, there was a harder but easier (i know, i know) way to restore being able to take updates. It involved modifying the build.prop file, IIRC.

BREANNA, this method will erase all your data, so only do this if you're sure you don't care about it, or do not mind starting from scratch again. Otherwise, give me a day too find the correct method to allow you to get the OTA.

Do you know if you are using a custom ROM on the phone?

Upvote 0
Actually, there was a harder but easier (i know, i know) way to restore being able to take updates. It involved modifying the build.prop file, IIRC.

BREANNA, this method will erase all your data, so only do this if you're sure you don't care about it, or do not mind starting from scratch again. Otherwise, give me a day too find the correct method to allow you to get the OTA.

Do you know if you are using a custom ROM on the phone?
No I am not using a custom Rom and I just factory reset my phone. It wont let me reprogram it myself so I'll call costumer service tommorrow. And my carrier is Page Plus do you think that has something to do with it?

Upvote 0
No I am not using a custom Rom and I just factory reset my phone. It wont let me reprogram it myself so I'll call costumer service tommorrow. And my carrier is Page Plus do you think that has something to do with it?

Since you've factory reset your phone, you'd probably be best off just flashing an SBF for the DROID. Do you have the A855 model?

I was trying to find info on how to fix it without factory reset, but now that you've already done it it is probably going to be easier to just flash it yourself.

Might want to wait to see what johngalt digs up although I'm surprised you wouldn't need root to modify the build.prop

Yeah, but before she performed the factory reset, she had that one click root tool - she could just as easily re-root the phone as she unrooted.

I just thought of something - could it be b/c it is PagePlus - that's why she's not getting FroYo? My DROID was through VZW, and we received those updates OTA....perhaps PagePlus never put out the FroYo update?

I am pretty sure I have the FroYo SBF for the DROID, but I am loathe to link it b/c I don't know if a VZW schemed SBF will work on a PagePlus phone. That will require further research.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones