Froyo 2.2 update on Droid

Last Updated:

1. pTac

pTac Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I am pretty new to the smartphone world and just recently got a Motorola Droid. I am still learning the ins and outs of these phones, and was wondering when Froyo 2.2 comes out will my phone automatically update to it or do I have to go somewhere and download it? Thanks for any help!

Advertisement
  2. caustic

caustic Well-Known Member

It should automatically update

3. rolltide2663

rolltide2663 New Member

Is the moto a855 getting 2.2? If so when?

4. larz

larz Member

supposedly July 13th

5. supertaperking

supertaperking New Member

Should I wait till the stable (verizon) 2.2. Froyo and then root and overclock? Or should I root and oc now? If I do root and oc now will I have a problem with the ota verizon update..... SORRY SUPER. NOOB

6. alamoe

alamoe Well-Known Member

If you root you will not get the OTA

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

7. ttaylor0024

ttaylor0024 Well-Known Member

If you root the ROM you select will already have 2.2...... (You wont want to go back to stock either)

8. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member

But in case he does... OP, yes, you can go back to stock, then apply the update manually once released, but as ttaylor said above, you probably won't want to...

9. supertaperking

supertaperking New Member

OK. I think. I will wait for the ota.... then
    Go root. Thanks guys.

10. tenpin477

tenpin477 Member

We don't know if we will be able to root 2.2 when it is released. If you are planning on rooting your device anyway there is no reason not to root and install a 2.2 ROM now

11. parlayguy

parlayguy Active Member

Holly cow. What are you guys talking about: root, oc, OTA, etc. What does this all mean and do I need to understand it to upgrate to Froyo, aka 2.2?

I have the Droid Incredible and am anxiously waiting for 2.2. How will I know when its available to download?

12. justinstrife

justinstrife Member

I'm as confused as you are. This is definitely a learning experience for me too. :eek:

13. yournamepenor

yournamepenor Well-Known Member

ok. so OC means overclock which intails telling the cpu governer to run faster than the norm. OTA is over the air update. root is like jailbreaking. incase you dont know what that is its like hacking. you can then access more parts of the phone. this also alowws you to flash other system roms. just go to the everything root section and read up.

godsdragon likes this.
  14. Vehtemas

Vehtemas Well-Known Member

So, with the stock OTA upgrade to 2.2 is the Droid going to get more screens?

15. larz

larz Member

yes it will have 5 screens instead of 3. and A LOT smoother UI, plus the 3D app drawer

16. pTac

2 more days until we have it, right ? :cool:

17. gndmepyon

gndmepyon Well-Known Member

You'll get a notification on your device of when it is ready to DL. However you are going to be waiting for quite a while since the Incredible uses a custom UI. HTC is not known for being speedy in the tweaking of an OS update.

18. godsdragon

godsdragon VIP Member VIP Member

LOL... It was the same for me as well! (psst.. It still is... Don't let me fool ya! lol)

Isn't it? OMG I try to learn something new everyday... Sometimes it is overwhelming...

Whats a UI? :eek:

19. Jofaba

Jofaba Well-Known Member

ui= user interface
    Just read a rumor in the Inc subfolder that you may be getting 2.2 the day after the X release (july 16). Rumor is as rumor does. *shrug*

godsdragon likes this.
  20. pTac

Thought it was supposed to be coming in a couple hours on the 13th????

21. Shachren

Shachren Well-Known Member

This was never confirmed. By ANYONE. Yes, it would have been nice to get 2.2, but hey. Takes as long as it takes. If you're really determined, you can always root and get it :)

22. Vehtemas

Vehtemas Well-Known Member

OH and the 5 screen thing, people said the same thing about 2.1 and we still only have 3...

23. csimms

csimms Member

New to some of this so a few questions:

Since the 2.2 release is so close is there any real reason to root? The benefits I see in rooting is 2.2 and wireless tethering atm. Does anyone know if wireless tethering will be available on the Droid after 2.2 is released? From what I've heard 2.2 will greatly increase the speed of the OS. Also, can you OC without rooting? Thanks for any replies :eek:

24. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member

Thus far in the "leaked" builds of 2.2 for Droid, wireless tethering is NOT in (wired is though). No one is sure if it will make it into the final release.

The speed of 2.2 is amazing. I'm not sure if this will make it in to the final update, but the leaks all had the processor already overclocked to 800mhz. That plus JIT (Just in time compiler) makes the phone amazingly fast.

You do need to be rooted to control overclocking. So imagine if you will, the stock rom is really fast running at 800 mhz. Overclocking to 1 Ghz (Most Droids are capable of that) is even faster. Some Droids can get to 1.2 Ghz (and some slightly faster). Overclocking also allows you to control scenarios. So for example, with the battery above 50%, you are at 1 Ghz, but if the battery drops below 50%, it will automatically downclock the CPU to 800 Mhz (or whatever you choose). There are several options on this including battery remaining, speed while charging, speed under certain heat constraints, etc...

Hope that helped a bit...

25. pielover375

pielover375 New Member

Any news on when this bitch is coming? I just got my droid today in anticipation of 2.2, and I'm severely cheesed off that it's running 2.1