Froyo 720p video - Disappointment

Last Updated:

1. brad-short

brad-short Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Not sure what i was expecting but its a little bit of a disappointment. Playback on the phone was a little choppy and the audio distorted but playback on youtube was better.

thought i's post the video so you guys can use it as a reference.

Advertisement
  2. anoniemouse

anoniemouse Well-Known Member

Main question what class of sd card are you using, also are you using a custom rom or the official ota one

3. tremblingwater

tremblingwater Well-Known Member

Yep, Like anoniemouse said, the SD card matters a lot, mainly, SD Class 6 seems to be the collective opinion. (From what i have seen around)

4. Mubble

Mubble Well-Known Member

Just because it's labelled as 720p doesn't mean it's going to be any good. Just by looking at how small the Desire's lens is, I know it won't compare to my 720p camcorder.

5. anoniemouse

anoniemouse Well-Known Member

Some roms got lower frame rates than others too

6. brad-short

brad-short Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Good points well made. I got a 16 gig from voda with the phone soo I think it was class2. That would explain the stuttering but not the image quality. Not overly bothered but not point having HD recording when the capture is poor.

7. UKseagull

UKseagull Well-Known Member

I found the same, the video jumps from light to dark etc. My vids are a bit choppy. I 'think' my SD card is class 4. I'm hoping there's some magical alternative recording software out there that'll improve things. :p

YouTube - VIDEO0016.3gp

8. d.knight99

d.knight99 Well-Known Member

Well the thing is although the HTC is technically capable of encoding it, it isn't an easy task for any phone. Yes, the card and the ROM all make a difference but unless you really NEED HD, I wouldn't bother. Stick to something lower and you should find it less juddery and slow.

To be honest, I never actually understood why you would need HD in a phone anyway? It's like having a really high MP camera in a phone. If quality mattered you would use a camcorder or dedicated DSLR... right? A Proper one with a good sized lens and dedicated controls. Yeah having a camera and the ability to record video is great, means you never miss a moment. But is it essential those moments are in HD? Really??

**** Local pub, 10:08 p.m. ****

Tom - "Haha, look at this guys, Harry got hit by a bus yesterday, got it all on my phone!! ROFLcopter or what???"

(they all crowd round Tom's phone)

Dick - "O...M...G... like, totally AWESOME DUDE! HAHAHAHAHA"

Tom - "I know right? Lucky I had my phone out when it happened eh? LMFAO!"

Dave (geeky kid that owns a Desire) - "OOoooooh you should have shot that in HD, WVGA is SOOO 2.1. You're such a n00b Tom, those extra couple of pixels would have made all the difference to my viewing experience you know...."

**** Blank stares from Tom, Dick and Harry (from a wheel chair) ****

Fade to black. END

Anyway you get my point. Maybe I'm wrong though...

9. gibbs1984

gibbs1984 Well-Known Member

I think you should swap Dave for Harry... ;)

10. d.knight99

Done ;)

11. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

I don't even think I've taken many videos. Stevie Wonder gig - thats it.

12. Paranoid_Android101

Paranoid_Android101 Active Member

I think people were expecting 720p on the desire to be something special, more like pointless!

A 30 second 720p video is around 14mb, where as wvga 800x480 is half that at 7mb, even if 720p recording on the desire was worth it you could most definitely kiss goodbye to your storage if your a video fanatic... needless to say 800x480 suits me just fine!

If I wanted to record in HD I would use a HD video camera simple as that.

13. Mubble

Mubble Well-Known Member

+1

14. wellibob

wellibob Well-Known Member

Agreed that 720p on the Desire is a bit naff, but i think now its there, i`d like to use it, but mine seems to suffer from judder, not so much loss of video frames, more like no image stabalization. Oh well.

15. SB13X

SB13X Well-Known Member

16. benchmark

benchmark Well-Known Member

tip i saw on youtube

Tip.
    Go into Camera, switch ISO to 800 and not auto.
    Now switch back to camcorder and record 720p, you get a lot more stable fps.

17. DaddyCee

DaddyCee Well-Known Member

you really do need pretty good quality for those clips that are sent in to You've Been Framed though.

:)

18. L60N

L60N Member

I dunno, for a mobile phone; im pretty impressed with all the footage shown here to be honest.

19. Mubble

Mubble Well-Known Member

Here's what a DSLR with 720p recording looks like.

http://vimeo.com/5983235

To say the Desire's footage is 'good' is laughable.

People think just because it's classed as HD it's going to be good. No lense that's 1cm across is going to record high quality footage regardless of resolution.

20. SB13X

SB13X Well-Known Member

That footage is awesome but most professionals now use medium to high end DSLR's even for TV footage. That video also looks like it could have had some decent treatment with editing software for optimisation etc.

To compare the Desire 770p recording to something of that calibre is a non starter. Everybody has always known that mobile phone video will always be substandard to kit designed, built and quality tested specifically for that purpose. The camera is there as an after thought. As it is on every smartphone and is mainly a marketing gimmick.

So saying the quality is good is quite acceptable depending on the context it is stated in. Saying its good compared to other "phones" is reasonable. I believe it to be good. That said, I'm neither that into photography or filming to justify the cost of a DSLR or equivalent spec dedicated camcorder. I do however appreciate my phone for its all round usefulness and with my children have a DVR camcorder for capturing birthdays and use my phone for the rest of the random moments and its served me well so far.

Would I right by assuming from your posts that you are indeed into your photography and are a bit of a purist??

L60N likes this.
  21. wellibob

wellibob Well-Known Member

I love the idea of 720 p video on my phone. My brother popped over from france, and took some 720p video on his PANASONIC DMC-TZ10EB-K compact camera. The quality was superb. When a phone does this, i`ll be happy. The Desires 720p effort is worthless atm.

22. Mubble

Mubble Well-Known Member

+1 to what you said mate. To get 720p resolution from a mobile phone camera is still a massive achievement regardless of the quality. But like many, I'd only use it for casual 'need to capture that moment' situations.

And yes, I am in to my photography :D

23. d.knight99

That's fair. I think it's great that the video is of a half decent quality, it has come a long way since the days of the first 'camera phones' and in many cases it is pretty useable. But that's all they will ever be; usable. Anything remotely serious definitely needs dedicated kit (as with most things really.)

L60N likes this.
  24. L60N

L60N Member

Anyone expecting a full on HD recording experience from a mobile is a bit of a pebble in my book.

25. YPud

YPud Active Member

I have just tried the changing the camera iso to 800 and the 720p recording is still stuttering.

I can see the difference in quality so i would like to find a solution, can anybody confirm that a higher class sd card stop the stuttering??

I am currently using the 4gb card that came with the box, but i would gladly get another if it stops the stuttering because the picture quality at close quarters is better than my camcorder.