• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Froyo and Battery Life/Charge Times

Dsoto87

Apr 30, 2010
Anyone else getting horrible battery life and some insane charge times when using these froyo roms?

Is there a fix for this? Im not running anything new compared to when I was using 2.1 and it "SEEMS" like my battery is dying quicker. I say seems because I havent compared awake/uptimes between 2.1 and 2.2.

Battery life wouldnt be so much an issue if it didnt take FOREVER to actually charge the battery.

I know I cant be the only one.

Like the OP said, for me the issue is the charge times. Its taking 3-4X as long to charge the battery.

Drain wouldnt be so much of an issue if it could recoup some of the charge lost quickly if we get a few min with a charger, but waiting a couple of hours to charge isnt feasible every time.

How/why would flashing with a full battery affect this?

Upvote 0
Ok so I take it I have to charge my battery to full, go into clockwork, reset the stats, then reflash the rom?

Ughh, Im tired of restoring all my apps and what not.

Besides, like I said earlier, the battery life is not really the big issue here. It was more of an observation. My big issue is the charging time.

I was at about 50% and i left the phone on the charger for HOURS only to come back to it and see it still wasnt fully charged. This would have been charged in half the time previously.

I dont feel like restoring my apps and settings unless this will actually affect the charge time. Does anyone know for sure if this will fix this issue or will it only affect battery life?

Upvote 0
My battery has been horrendous since installing the leak. Cant even make it to the end of the work day anymore. I am about to plunge into a new ROM to see if it makes a difference. Knowing VZW and their testing, I am guessing this is just one of the reasons why they haven't rolled out to the masses yet. August 6th (hopefully, or later) can't come fast enough

Upvote 0
Im gonna try wiping my battery stats tonight after its fully charged...

My question is, is there something in a ROM that could affect the speed at which the battery charges? Cause it definitely takes a lot longer to charge for me with the first leaked 2.2 OTA.

I need to figure out why this is and if theres a solution.

I had a thought, can someone tell me if I'm way off or onto something?

It appears (according to systempanel) that this ROM (first leaked 2.2) does not underclock the CPU to the degree that the stock 2.1 ROM does.

I can only tell as far as while the phone is awake, but it appears that it bottoms out between 600-700 mhz whereas in stock 2.1 it would bottom out between 200-300.

Now if this is the case in sleep time as well, then wouldnt that be enough of a power hog to slow the battery charge time? If the DINC is pulling more power than it used to, it would stand to reason that it takes a lot longer to charge.

Anyone know how to test for this, to see if this could indeed be happening?

Upvote 0
Quite the contrary, when I installed the official 2.2 leak my battery time was extended from 6 hours to about 14 hours (granted I had about 26 hours on YASR). Though now that I put the extended life battery in, it takes 10 hours to fully charge. No stats yet on how long it lasts, still working on wearing it down.

Upvote 0
Just to throw my 2 cents in as well, i'm having the exact same issue. With the (newly) leaked 2.2 rom (8/1), i'm also getting terrible battery life, something around 13 hours (vs. about 20 before). What i'm observing so far is that cpu clock doesn't fall as far down on idle so i think the thing is cooking itself too soon. We'll have to wait for the final build to see if fixed.

Upvote 0
I am getting noticeably better battery life after my install of 2.2; I am on the initial ROM. So far during the week at the end of the day I'm at anywhere between 50 and 55%. Now, granted I put my phone into Airplane Mode at work because it cannot come into the office with me, and our cell phone holding area has horrible reception. I need to see the scores again this weekend, but last weekend I ended up with 30% left on Saturday (really heavy use) and I think about 43% on Sunday.

Upvote 0
I have this problem too, I haven't quite figured it out yet, but I've noticed that sometimes if I reboot while charging, or unplug/plug in a few times real quick it will charge normally.

Also, if you're in a pinch, and absolutely need to charge fast, you can power the phone off and it will charge normally. I hope we can figure this out.

Upvote 0
Just wanted to update this thread. I've been running the leaked FroYo ROMs since last week. Both of them have been yielding EXCELLENT battery results.

Previously, I could not last till 10pm w/o having to charge my phone on the stock 1300mAH battery. Well, I recalibrated the 2.1 OS and ran it again for a few days. 1300mAH goes to 10pm and I need to charge it. Enter 2.2 leaks (7/27 and 8/1). With moderate to heavy use since 7am to now (6:50pm... let's call it 12 hours), and I have 54% battery left according to Spare Parts.

No bump charge, just a simple overnight charge from 11pm to 7am. Everyday. Again, not scientific, but I know my usage is fairly consistent each day. Either way, in order for me to need to charge the phone by 10 (3 hours) I need to run down 40% of the battery to get the 14% battery message to pop up. This is a huge improvement over 2.1.

These leaked FroYo ROMs are giving my phone a major boost in battery levels. My GF indicates similar improvement with her battery, as well (loaded up the leak onto her phone).

NOTES:
I clear the battery stats after each ROM install with a fully charge battery (phone off till green), and the following apps have been removed on my install.

Amazonmp3
AppSharing
CityID
htc.FMRadioWidget
FriendStreamWidget
Stocks
DCSStock
Flickr
GenieWidget
BookmarkWidget
ContactWidget
FMRadio
Footprints
FootprintsWidget
HTCPhotoWidget
HTCSyncWidget
Twitter
HtcTwitter
VVM
VzNav
VZW_Skype

/framework/com.cequint.platform.jar /system/app.disabled/
/framework/com.cequint.platform.odex /system/app.disabled/

Upvote 0
Ok so I wiped the battery stats, fully charged, and reflashed today. Battery life seems to be a bit better but it could be just the placebo effect.

Regardless, this still didnt fix the charging issue. As others have stated, I believe the CPU isnt dropping down enough when idle. I opened up system panel and didnt touch anything for about a minute and it never dropped below 500-600 mhz. I just installed set cpu, so Ill see how that works out.

Im guessing this is the problem because, like someone else mentioned, when you turn the phone off and charge, it charges quite quick (in comparison to charging while on).

Now that I think of it, I dont remember having this problem with the very first leak. Im running the 2nd pb&j rom so maybe others can chime in. I also dont remember this happening on the skyraider froyo rom.

Upvote 0
I have SetCPU running and it will clock down to 245 but it goes up and down so much that it might as well stay at 998. Literally doing nothing at all and it is bouncing up and down constantly.

I have had horrible battery life. I reset my battery stats and it helped some but not enough. I drop 15 percent in 30 min with lite use.

Upvote 0
Ok so I wiped the battery stats, fully charged, and reflashed today. Battery life seems to be a bit better but it could be just the placebo effect.

Regardless, this still didnt fix the charging issue. As others have stated, I believe the CPU isnt dropping down enough when idle. I opened up system panel and didnt touch anything for about a minute and it never dropped below 500-600 mhz. I just installed set cpu, so Ill see how that works out.

Im guessing this is the problem because, like someone else mentioned, when you turn the phone off and charge, it charges quite quick (in comparison to charging while on).

Now that I think of it, I dont remember having this problem with the very first leak. Im running the 2nd pb&j rom so maybe others can chime in. I also dont remember this happening on the skyraider froyo rom.

I'm running the first leaked OTA, and thats where the slow charge issue popped up for me.

surprised more people arent complaining about this. The battery drain isnt as much of an issue for me, but without the ability to quickly recharge it makes it alot more noticeable.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones