• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Froyo and Wireless N

Can you guys show me how you configured the IP Address? I know where to go on the phone to set it up, I am just confused as to what I number I use.

Yep! I just modified this method. On the Belkin routers I have had, the router network internal IP is 192.168.2.1, and the dynamically assigned device IPs start at 192.168.2.2 and go up from there... but you should be able to see whatever your router uses in the router LAN settings.

Now, you can do this one of two ways... either directly in Wifi Static, or by having Wifi Static copy a current configuration. To set the static configuration using the stock interface (or if you just need to setup a static Wifi without 'Wifi Static') you go into Menu > Settings > Wireless & networks > WiFi Settings > menu > Advanced. Here you:
1) Check 'Use static IP'
2) Enter your IP address, Gateway, Netmask, and DNS 1.

However, this is basically the same screen you get if you just go into 'Wifi static' and enter 'Add configuration'. The difference is that if you have ALREADY set this up in the stock Wifi settings, you can in Wifi Static under 'Add configuration' click menu > Generate and it will populate a Wifi Static Configuration. this is probably the better way to do it, because it also includes the SSID and BSSIC (which is in my system essentially the MAC address of the router... but I'm not 100% on that one) when you do this.

Anyway, back to the numbers to use:

IP Address: Pick a number out the the IP address pool that would not normally be dynamically assigned. So, if you normally have four devices attached to your Wifi, they might be assigned 192.168.2.2 - 192.168.2.5. So, I would be safe and pick 192.168.2.7 or 192.168.2.8 so I don't run into a conflict if the router tried to dynamically assign the same IP I have set as static (you may be able to reserve your static IP in the router so it never tries to assign it again, but I haven't messed around with that)

Gateway: Use the LAN IP address, which for Belkin (again) is 192.168.2.1

Netmask: Use the router Subnet Mask address (for my Belkin, this is 255.255.255.0)

DNS 1: Use the same address as the Gateway, which is the same as the LAN address. The LAN / Gateway / DNS 1 are all the same address you probably type to enter your router configurations through a web browser inside your network.

So again, for Belkin the numbers are probably as above... some routers will be different, so check your LAN settings.

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
Yep! I just modified this method. On the Belkin routers I have had, the router network internal IP is 192.168.2.1, and the dynamically assigned device IPs start at 192.168.2.2 and go up from there... but you should be able to see whatever your router uses in the router LAN settings.

Now, you can do this one of two ways... either directly in Wifi Static, or by having Wifi Static copy a current configuration. If you have already set the static configuration (or if you just need to setup a static Wifi without 'Wifi Static') you go into Menu > Settings > Wireless & networks > WiFi Settings > menu > Advanced. Here you:
1) Check 'Use static IP'
2) Enter your IP address, Gateway, Netmask, and DNS 1.

However, this is basically the same screen you get if you just go into 'Wifi static' and enter 'Add configuration'. The difference is that if you have ALREADY set this up in the stock Wifi settings, you can in Wifi Static under 'Add configuration' click menu > Generate and it will populate a Wifi Static Configuration. this is probably the better way to do it, because it also includes the SSID and BSSIC (which is in my system essentially the MAC address of the router... but I'm not 100% on that one) when you do this.

Anyway, back to the numbers to use:

IP Address: Pick a number out the the IP address pool that would not normally be dynamically assigned. So, if you normally have four devices attached to your Wifi, they might be assigned 192.168.2.2 - 192.168.2.5. So, I would be safe and pick 192.168.2.7 or 192.168.2.8 so I don't run into a conflict if the router tried to dynamically assign the same IP I have set as static (you may be able to reserve your static IP in the router so it never tries to assign it again, but I haven't messed around with that)

Gateway: Use the LAN IP address, which for Belkin (again) is 192.168.2.1

Netmask: Use the router Subnet Mask address (for my Belkin, this is 255.255.255.0)

DNS 1: Use the same address as the Gateway, which is the same as the LAN address. The LAN / Gateway / DNS 1 are all the same address you probably type to enter your router configurations through a web browser inside your network.

So again, for Belkin the numbers are probably as above... some routers will be different, so check your LAN settings.

Hope this helps!

THANK YOU 1000000 TIMES. YOU SAVED ME AND MY BATTERY FROM THE CONSTANT ATTEMPT AT CONNECTING!

But seriously thanks for taking your time and typing that all up for me, I was on the phone with HTC and Belkin and they had no idea what I was talking about and of what to do. Basically all the numbers you put up were the same on my router, so it worked out well.

Thanks Again, and a good karma to you :)

Reactions: smillerlsu
Upvote 0
THANK YOU 1000000 TIMES. YOU SAVED ME AND MY BATTERY FROM THE CONSTANT ATTEMPT AT CONNECTING!

But seriously thanks for taking your time and typing that all up for me, I was on the phone with HTC and Belkin and they had no idea what I was talking about and of what to do. Basically all the numbers you put up were the same on my router, so it worked out well.

Thanks Again, and a good karma to you :)

Glad it helped! And thanks for the kind words! :eek:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones