• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Froyo (Android 2.2) for SGS

Froyo 2.2 firmware XP1 was slow, and the A-GPS did not work. GPS only worked when GPS was turned on - it did not use WiFi or mobile cells to positionize the phone.

The XP2 is much better. Still it is slower than the M3 update (Android 2.1), but it is stabile and the battery consumption seems to be okay.

However, scandinavian keyboards and scandinavian support for Swipe keyboard is missing.

Upvote 0
Thanks for this.

How do I download Odin 3 v1.0 and 512.PIT? My phone tells me that the file type RAR is not recognised and cannot be downloaded.

I've only ever manually updated software on an N1, this seems a little more complicated.

install a filemanager that can handle .rar files like androzip...

but remember odin is windows software, better download to your pc directly.

Upvote 0
Fools! Why are people judging their GPS based upon time to fix? Even I can get a fix in 8 seconds. What's needed is a stable lock!
Same reason why there are ppl who test their GPS INSIDE the house. I read so many of ppl testing GPS inside buildings. So many of ppl who exclaimed that they can get lock inside a building. They are not testing their GPS, merely their cell signals.

Upvote 0
i'm back. :D Flashed to jp3 and got it rooted as well.

My take on jp3:

It is still a beta rom, so expect a bit of bugs here and there.

Flash is working.
Internet surfing is faster.
Screen capture available (holding back button, wait for the 2nd vibration and press home)
google contact groups in phone can sync directly with the gmail.
Fast, with little lag and more responsive
Icons are colored
Option for OTA updates
Google search bar with voice tts
New horizontal calibration (presumably for your sensors)
Pull down menu now got five selections: wifi, bt, gps, silent and rotation lock
New Device Administrator menu (don't ask me what this is, cos i don''t know too)
Swype is updated to 1.64.41.9192
Flash works tho need to install again

Bugs:
Haptic same regardless of settings
Black is not black in flash movies, clips
Cannot install google sky map
Clockworkmod does not work
update.zip will mess with the phone
root is read only for the system need to change via adb or root explorer
GPS seems to get a fix faster
Quadrant benchmark is about 20% increases.
available ram is 305mb, less than 2.1 which is 326mb
JP3 files are not deodex-ed. JP2 apps are all deodexed

Please don't ask me about more detail on gps, cos i seldom use it. :D

Upvote 0
i'm back. :D Flashed to jp3 and got it rooted as well.

My take on jp3:

It is still a beta rom, so expect a bit of bugs here and there.

Flash is working.
Internet surfing is faster.
Screen capture available (holding back button, wait for the 2nd vibration and press home)
google contact groups in phone can sync directly with the gmail.
Fast, with little lag and more responsive
Icons are colored
Option for OTA updates
Google search bar with voice tts
New horizontal calibration (presumably for your sensors)
Pull down menu now got five selections: wifi, bt, gps, silent and rotation lock
New Device Administrator menu (don't ask me what this is, cos i don''t know too)
Swype is updated to 1.64.41.9192
Flash works tho need to install again

Bugs:
Haptic same regardless of settings
Black is not black in flash movies, clips
Cannot install google sky map
Clockworkmod does not work
update.zip will mess with the phone
root is read only for the system need to change via adb or root explorer
GPS seems to get a fix faster
Quadrant benchmark is about 20% increases.
available ram is 305mb, less than 2.1 which is 326mb
JP3 files are not deodex-ed. JP2 apps are all deodexed

Please don't ask me about more detail on gps, cos i seldom use it. :D

Thanks for that, I`ve just installes JP3 after trying JP2..its a lot faster and less buggy but did you notice a prob with some keys on keyboard would stop working for a few secs then work again when texting.

Upvote 0
Thanks for that, I`ve just installes JP3 after trying JP2..its a lot faster and less buggy but did you notice a prob with some keys on keyboard would stop working for a few secs then work again when texting.
Funny, I encounter this when I'm on Eclair 2.1. The first key you press, you need to wait for a few seconds, but subsequent keystrokes are fine, am I correct?

I do agree that the Froyo dev rom is buggy. But it is up to the individual and depends whether the pros outweigh the cons when you upgrade.

Mind you, I have my fair share of problems in jp3 as well. Tried apps2sd and got corrupted. haha.. likely I will go back to JM2. :)

Upvote 0
Hi Gundoo,

Did you tried JP2 ? because i am using JP2 but unable to install JP3 now over that.

I was using eclair with latest official ROM for my SGS and everything was fine, even I had lagfix so benchmark was showing 2000 + .

But because of urge to Froyo I installed XXXXJP2 yesterday and now I am not really happy with that for few bugs which is expected in beta version like Wifi is messey sometimes and even GPRS is but slower than before.

So my worry is whether I will be able to update the official ROM once it is realesed by Samsung ??? I dont mind working with this buggy JP2 for a month or so. if possible give me the link for installing jp3 with cleaan installation procedure.

Thanks
Samba

Upvote 0
Hi Gundoo,

Did you tried JP2 ? because i am using JP2 but unable to install JP3 now over that.

I was using eclair with latest official ROM for my SGS and everything was fine, even I had lagfix so benchmark was showing 2000 + .

But because of urge to Froyo I installed XXXXJP2 yesterday and now I am not really happy with that for few bugs which is expected in beta version like Wifi is messey sometimes and even GPRS is but slower than before.

So my worry is whether I will be able to update the official ROM once it is realesed by Samsung ??? I dont mind working with this buggy JP2 for a month or so. if possible give me the link for installing jp3 with cleaan installation procedure.

Thanks
Samba

Yes, I've tried JP1, JP2 and JP3. JP2 had a few bugs, and I hate it when GPRS/WiFi does not work. The JP3 was fine, my only bug was that my phone lost 8 minuts a day, so I could not use it as a watch.

I know a guy at Samsung. He's running JP9 now, but he says that it's buggy and forces close.

Android 2.2 is not that important to me - yet - so I'll wait until there's a stabile version available.

I'm sure you'll be able to update to the official version via Samsung when it comes.

Upvote 0
Yes, I've tried JP1, JP2 and JP3. JP2 had a few bugs, and I hate it when GPRS/WiFi does not work. The JP3 was fine, my only bug was that my phone lost 8 minuts a day, so I could not use it as a watch.

I know a guy at Samsung. He's running JP9 now, but he says that it's buggy and forces close.

Android 2.2 is not that important to me - yet - so I'll wait until there's a stabile version available.

I'm sure you'll be able to update to the official version via Samsung when it comes.

hello if you tried all those versions....how did you return to your original 2.1

i updated to 2.2 JP2 and i have so many bugs i cant use my phone...internet is not working flash no...gps..no...some apps no...

how can i return to my original 2.1?

what i must do please helppp??!!!

thanx all

Upvote 0
hello if you tried all those versions....how did you return to your original 2.1

i updated to 2.2 JP2 and i have so many bugs i cant use my phone...internet is not working flash no...gps..no...some apps no...

how can i return to my original 2.1?

what i must do please helppp??!!!

thanx all

Download Odin. Download all the necessary rom files (2.1 rom + pit files). Put your phone in upload mode (Volume down + home + power). Connect phone to PC, wait for drivers to finish loading, flash using ODIN.

But before doing all of that, please do read the relevant FAQs on XDA so you know what you are doing.

Reactions: mjlyte
Upvote 0
Download Odin. Download all the necessary rom files (2.1 rom + pit files). Put your phone in upload mode (Volume down + home + power). Connect phone to PC, wait for drivers to finish loading, flash using ODIN.

But before doing all of that, please do read the relevant FAQs on XDA so you know what you are doing.

thank you i have odin but i can not find 2.1 and that pit files??
or do you have any better version for galaxy without bugs?

any link?

thank you much

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones