• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Froyo audio quality problems acknowledged by Google, fix coming (eventually)

Vincent Law

Android Enthusiast
Jun 4, 2010
First, a fix for the audio quality in AAC+ streams (Pandora, etc) has been commited to the Froyo branch:

android.git.kernel.org Git - platform/frameworks/base.git/commit

The bug originally filed for reference (see comment 140 for Google's acknowledgment that the above commit is the fix):

Issue 9308 - android - eaac+ and aac+ decoding sound quality problems (Android 2.2) - Project Hosting on Google Code

Just letting you all know that we should see a fix incoming, and for Froyo. As to WHEN we'll see this is unknown (especially with the lag on patches through HTC), but it is on the way.

i did the ota 2.2 and pandora is still working just fine for me

Pandora is working fine, however it no longer has the same clarity/quality as before 2.2. This is not somethin that will affect some users only, it affects every froyo unit, from every manufacturer.

*** I should have said it affects every froyo unit only, no real way to be sure that other mfgs pending releases wont have the correction made

Upvote 0
Pandora is working fine, however it no longer has the same clarity/quality as before 2.2. This is not somethin that will affect some users only, it affects every froyo unit, from every manufacturer.

it explains why the radio station I try to stream from New York using 'A Online Radio' is crap now. it's aac+ and had to choose the mp3 version which is not so great

Upvote 0
While i am happy they will send out a patch to fix this issue. I am not happy that this patch will not come straight from google. It will have to go through HTC and Sprint before we get it. So i am thinking it will either never come to us or it will come around christmas. I know i am being negative. But i just know how slow these things are. Google doesnt even have it ready yet.

So in the meantime we will be stuck listening to crap quality radio. It angers me that Google was made aware of this before they released 2.2 to HTC and yet they did nothing but allow it to come to us without so much as a warning. Google should have expressed what 2.2 does to streaming music so users could have decided if they want to break their music apps to get stuttering flash browsers.

Like others have said, I want my 2.1 back so i can enjoy my music again. And so that Google Nav program doesnt keep stopping my music and not restarting it every time the weird voiced lady says anything.

Upvote 0
Like others have said, I want my 2.1 back so i can enjoy my music again. And so that Google Nav program doesnt keep stopping my music and not restarting it every time the weird voiced lady says anything.

didn't know it broke that too, will test it out on mine and see. I'll be pissed as I have a road trip next week and definitely want that working.

Upvote 0

Dammit it broke the above mentioned. Drove around the block to test and yes whether it's the stock music player or Pandora it stops the music. Not cool!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones