Froyo audio quality problems acknowledged by Google, fix coming (eventually)

Last Updated:

1. Vincent Law

Vincent Law Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

First, a fix for the audio quality in AAC+ streams (Pandora, etc) has been commited to the Froyo branch:

android.git.kernel.org Git - platform/frameworks/base.git/commit

The bug originally filed for reference (see comment 140 for Google's acknowledgment that the above commit is the fix):

Issue 9308 - android - eaac+ and aac+ decoding sound quality problems (Android 2.2) - Project Hosting on Google Code

Just letting you all know that we should see a fix incoming, and for Froyo. As to WHEN we'll see this is unknown (especially with the lag on patches through HTC), but it is on the way.

Advertisement
    EarlyMon and CA_SteelersFan like this.
  2. Raadius

Raadius Well-Known Member

Good! Now we wait, lol.

3. UTorange

UTorange Active Member

i got the email letting me know they acknowledged it... i hope they throw out a fix quick. i want pandora.

4. ARR22

ARR22 Well-Known Member

Well atleast they owned up to it. Now we play the impatient waiting game.

5. jeremylobaugh

jeremylobaugh Well-Known Member

If you're rooted, you can disable stagefright. Works for me, but still no iheartradio :(

6. UTorange

UTorange Active Member

the problem is i cant root because i did the ota 2.2 :(

7. New Jersey

New Jersey Well-Known Member

i did the ota 2.2 and pandora is still working just fine for me

8. SubaruB4

SubaruB4 Well-Known Member

the audio sounded the same when i did the upgrade?

9. RickJ

RickJ Well-Known Member

Pandora is working fine, however it no longer has the same clarity/quality as before 2.2. This is not somethin that will affect some users only, it affects every froyo unit, from every manufacturer.

*** I should have said it affects every froyo unit only, no real way to be sure that other mfgs pending releases wont have the correction made

10. vgsantiago

vgsantiago Well-Known Member

it explains why the radio station I try to stream from New York using 'A Online Radio' is crap now. it's aac+ and had to choose the mp3 version which is not so great

11. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

12. Vincent Law

Vincent Law Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

13. tmaxey1

tmaxey1 Well-Known Member

While i am happy they will send out a patch to fix this issue. I am not happy that this patch will not come straight from google. It will have to go through HTC and Sprint before we get it. So i am thinking it will either never come to us or it will come around christmas. I know i am being negative. But i just know how slow these things are. Google doesnt even have it ready yet.

So in the meantime we will be stuck listening to crap quality radio. It angers me that Google was made aware of this before they released 2.2 to HTC and yet they did nothing but allow it to come to us without so much as a warning. Google should have expressed what 2.2 does to streaming music so users could have decided if they want to break their music apps to get stuttering flash browsers.

Like others have said, I want my 2.1 back so i can enjoy my music again. And so that Google Nav program doesnt keep stopping my music and not restarting it every time the weird voiced lady says anything.

14. DrStryfe

DrStryfe Member

I gave a listen to pandora this morning. Yuck it definitely sounds like garbage. At least I still have Last.fm to work with.

15. vgsantiago

didn't know it broke that too, will test it out on mine and see. I'll be pissed as I have a road trip next week and definitely want that working.

16. vgsantiago

Dammit it broke the above mentioned. Drove around the block to test and yes whether it's the stock music player or Pandora it stops the music. Not cool!

17. eric3316

eric3316 Well-Known Member

I have a friend of a friend who works for Dan Hesse and he told my friend who told me that Dan said the update will be out on September 3rd.
    I always wanted to make up a date like everyone else does. Just figured I would be one of the first to do so.

18. jrstinkfish

jrstinkfish Well-Known Member

My lastFM cuts off every song after around 15-20 seconds and jumps to the next one :mad:

19. BigRick10

BigRick10 Well-Known Member

Well whoever is running CM6. Cyanogen has added the fix and will be in tonight's nightly. Boom shakalaka!! :cool: