Froyo: Camera blurry / pictures out of focus

Last Updated:

1. l0ki346

l0ki346 Active Member This Topic's Starter

EDIT:

FRF84B seems to do the trick....

I have had nothing but great success with the leaked Froyo that I've been running since Saturday afternoon. Battery life seems to be improved, haven't noticed any FC's, etc... until today. I know that the Droid has had some camera issues namely the 24.5 auto focus bug and the auto focus hardware becomes faulty but this is new to me.

I didn't have this problem with 2.0.1, stock 2.1, rooted 2.1, Pete's BB, Fab's NexBeast. There have been numerous kernels on the phone as well and going back through my gallery nothing was blurry. I have wiped the lens, made sure the camera app is on auto-focus, I've clicked the button once, twice, halfway, a dozen times, etc and I've even tried FXCamera - if the subject is more than 6" away it is blurry.

I'm running the 1.0 P3 kernel but 1.1 & 1.2 have given me the same issue. I've tried this at 1Ghz, 800, 600 & 400Mhz. I know this is pre-release but is anyone else having the same issue?

Advertisement
  2. Groid

Groid Well-Known Member

Make sure you are not in macro on the focus mode setting. I made the mistake of not resetting to auto focus mode after making some closeups using macro mode.

Edit: Sorry, missed that you said you were in auto for focus mode.

3. mrthundercleese

mrthundercleese Well-Known Member

I think there is something broken with the camera software on this froyo leak, even though most are having success.

I posted the following with a picture in the original Froyo thread here. I even tried flashing the newest one with no success.

4. l0ki346

I don't know how I missed that in the Froyo thread... too much multitasking here at work I guess. Actually, I know that is the case because I'm waiting on hold right now and I missed a few of the prompts in the automated system... I must have had to "press the star key to repeat these options" half a dozen times :p

I guess I'll have to carry my Cybershot around until a newer build fixes this problem. Hakuna matata!

5. wxjeremy

wxjeremy Active Member

i think the 2.2 leak killed my camera altogether. After trying multiple versions of the 2.2 (BB, NexFro, etc.) and trying to open the camera, I would just get a blank (black) screen in the viewfinder. The camera app itself would open find and you could hear the usual noise of the camera activating, but no picture. When trying to take a picture, it was still all black. I reverted back to a 2.1 backup (BB V1.1) and the camera works fine.

6. l0ki346

OUCH, at least it worked when you rolled back to 2.1. I get a blurry image on the viewfinder and I don't hear the noise of the camera activating. After I posted that I went back to a stock (rooted) 2.1 and NexBeast 2.1 - camera was still buggered so I'm back to 2.2.

7. wxjeremy

wxjeremy Active Member

Yea I just tried Kangorade 1.0 again. per the suggestion in another thread, I uninstalled a couple of apps that use the camera (one being the barcode scanner), restarted the phone, and still no go. same symptoms.

8. Turbo Ninja CPA

Turbo Ninja CPA Active Member

It may be something wrong with your phone :confused: I"m on Kangorade 1.0 blue with chevy 1ghz LV (not sure if Kernel matters). Both barcode scanner and the camera work fine.

The camera auto-focuses just like it always has and takes pictures the same.

It may be a problem like Redflea where his phone just doesn't like 2.2.

Sorry I don't have anything else to add but just noticed that we have the same rom.

9. wxjeremy

wxjeremy Active Member

I reverted to a 2.1 ROM and the camera works on that, so it isn't a hardware problem.

10. l0ki346

I have not tried removing any apps that have access to the camera. Guess I should try that.

11. wxjeremy

wxjeremy Active Member

that didn't work for me after all. Just stayed with 2.1 for now. But since the 2.2 source file has been released, I'm hoping that once ROMS are created off of that one that the camera issue (among a few others) will be fixed.

12. l0ki346

Uninstalled: Barcode Scanner, FxCamera, Goggles & Layar. Did a battery pull and it's still blurry :(

I was just thinking the same thing - hopefully the next back of custom ROMs will revive my camera.

13. wxjeremy

wxjeremy Active Member

Well our hopes may be short-lived...

14. l0ki346

I know - I've been looking at that thread as well... that actually led me back here in the first place. Oh well, I'll still keep my fingers crossed.

15. hexon

hexon Well-Known Member

I'm using BB 0.2 with P3's 1.1 kernal and have zero camera problems. Might give that combo a shot with a data and cache wipe.

16. wxjeremy

wxjeremy Active Member

but were you having any problems with the camera before this setup? Not everyone has had camera issues with 2.2 ROMs. I had tried BB 0.2 and had the same camera problems.

17. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Well-Known Member

I just rooted and updated to 2.2 using the directions on theunlockr.com and just checked - my camera is working fine, and actually appears that the picture quality may be improved over the stock 2.1 I was running previously.

18. l0ki346

BB 0.2 and 0.2.1 with P3's 1.0 and 1.1 both gave me blurry images and for some reason the p3's have given me HORRIBLE battery life with froyo. i had no issues with battery life on 2.1 running p3.

19. hexon

hexon Well-Known Member

No I didn't have problems before either. By chance are you using TiBu and restoring the .apk for the 2.1 camera? I don't know if that is actually something that could mess it up, but who knows.

20. wxjeremy

wxjeremy Active Member

no I'm not using Titanium Backup. The camera issue seems to be random and doesn't affect everyone, I'm just trying to figure out why it is random.

21. mrthundercleese

I'm thinking the problem is in the driver and that it'll take another FRFsomethingOrOther to fix it. Maybe some developer will prove me wrong though :). I'd be OK with that.

22. l0ki346

Looks like FRF84B saved the day for both of us - our Droids must have been in the same production run.

23. wxjeremy

wxjeremy Active Member

me too! working camera makes Jack a happy boy...

24. mrthundercleese

Hahaha our droids are brothers in the funk. :)

25. barry99705

barry99705 Well-Known Member

Mine's working, though I think this pic is a little buggy....

[​IMG]