Froyo Due This Month - Source

Last Updated:

1. melll

melll Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

At least it's a more reliable source than my friend's mother's uncle's cat (and the other guy spouting all over the net that it won't be until next year), but still, who knows.

Also, this article is by CNET UK. There's no mention, explicitly, of any US Carriers, except for TMobile, which is European owned.

It's possible this article does not cover US based Galaxy S phones.

If CNET USA said "all networks", I wouldn't expect that included foreign networks as well.

3. melll

4. aksoutherland

aksoutherland Member

Here's to hoping.

5. jkcheng122

jkcheng122 Well-Known Member

This only pertains to the UK does it not? Need a US source I think. So far we were only told there will be more information given this week in regard to Froyo but nothing on a more definitely launch date.

I'm not all up in arms about it though. Running JI5 right now with lagfix, nothing to complain about.

6. sadkorean34

sadkorean34 Member

Negative, Sorry.

7. Zylograth

Zylograth Well-Known Member

JI5 with lagfix will keep me warm until the froyo shows up :p

8. melll

9. mavictb

mavictb Well-Known Member

its cool your on the ball with the latest mobile phone gossip but for real... I have never seen one of these articles to be correct and or accurate....

10. Onemoa

Onemoa Well-Known Member

I just cant believe that at all.. Android 2.2 will be on all "newer" phones by the end of this year.. I am pretty sure we will be getting 2.2 this month or at least by the end of it as there is no reason we should not be getting it..

11. altorn

altorn New Member

I have just rooted, installed a custom kernel (CFS), installed a custom ROM (bionix 1.5), and LauncherPro. (also LagFix which doesnt seem to work with bionix or just the order i installed them)

How do I update to the official Froyo build?

12. w_bovine

w_bovine Well-Known Member

Not to be a smarta**, but right now you don't. There is no Froyo for the Vibrant right now. If and when we finally see it and you want the OTA update (though I did once read it will be available only via Kies) you would need to flash back to the stock ROM.

However, since you already know about Bionix, you could simply wait until sombionix puts his Froyo build out. Trust me, when he gets the code for Froyo he's going to be all over it. It won't be too long a wait at that point. :)

13. melll

You have to revert back to stock original build. You wont get OTA with custom ROMS.

If you go decided to go that route, you should have already known about that, afterall, its a huge thing to know, you know.

14. robo21

robo21 Well-Known Member

The "final truth" as you put it is when they actually deliver. I'll believe it when I see it.

15. llblwskydrgn

llblwskydrgn Well-Known Member

This is my first experience with Samsung so I was unaware of all the Behold 2 "stuff." I hope they deliver along with T-Mobile or else my view of Samsung will be much different.

I've seen some videos of the update that leaked for the Captivate and my friend updated to it, and it looks great! Can't wait!

16. w_bovine

Samsung has already disillusioned a good many people with their failure to be more forthcoming about certain problems and in getting out the necessary fixes.

As things stand, if they don't come through with the GPS fix and Froyo as they've said they would I could be looking at an HTC phone next time around.

17. HadouGhost

HadouGhost Well-Known Member

i've had a behold 2 and a vibrant now. I do think my next phone will be of another brand aswell, as much as i love my vibrant.

18. Zorlac

Zorlac Well-Known Member

As Bovine said, I too will be looking at an HTC phone as well.
    It's really too bad the HD2 was held back so to speak by a clunky Windows mobile OS. I liked the power and screen on my HD2, but ultimately returned within 30 days to get the Vibrant.
    C'mon Sammy, and T-Mo...don't let us down!

19. altorn

altorn New Member

Ive read about losing the ability to receive OTA updates (which is very rare for Samsung anyway), but I read that it is still possible but you will lose root? Im not sure.

Yeah, bionix is great on my phone (although im seeing a bit more battery drain than usual.) I'll be testing this for a couple of days to see which is causing battery drain.

20. w_bovine

You will lose root if you flash an OTA OS update, but it's a small matter to re-root. You may be able to use the same method to gain root again, and if not, no worries...any update is going to be rooted by the time you know there's an update.

You'll only lose OTA ability if you install a custom ROM (such as Bionix). When we finally see an update from Samsung and you're running a custom ROM you can simply flash back to stock and get the update.

If you're seeing lessened battery life with Bionix, you might try resetting the battery stats; some are of the belief this should be done any time you flash a new ROM. Also, if you're not using an overclock/undervolt kernel (JAC's, Kingklick's) you might try one to see if that alone increases battery life. At worst I've seen no drop in battery life with one of these kernels.

Just because a kernel is made to overclock doesn't mean you're compelled to overclock. If left alone such a kernel will run at the stock speeds, which for the Vibrant is minimum 200MHz/max 1000MHz.

21. Zylograth

Zylograth Well-Known Member

22. dahizzle

dahizzle New Member

I have Eugene's Vibrant9 ROM with OC'd CPU and lagfix, my Quadrant scores are 2400 - 2700. I'm not sweating Froyo.....

23. chaoscentral

chaoscentral Well-Known Member

Quadrant scores mean nothing. ;)

It's how smooth the user experience is, and I'd give up 1000 points on Quadrant for flash player

24. Onemoa

Onemoa Well-Known Member

At least we are all getting the GPS fix by the end of this month.