Froyo for Motorola MilestoneSupport

Last Updated:

1. harunjo

harunjo Active Member This Topic's Starter

http://www.androidguys.com/2010/07/20/froyo-motorola-milestone-undecided
    i think this is the last motorola phone for me..

Advertisement
  2. deadite66

deadite66 Well-Known Member

yup only buying a ADP device from now on, unsupported only 7 months after release what are you on Moto.
    though i see a pretty good chance of getting a refund for failing to provide an advertised feature.

only sticking point i can see is moto sitting on the fence and leaving 2.2 in a 'pending' state, how long to leave it before we ask for a refund or go to the small claims court.

3. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

The talk from Motorola is just for having users wait patiently.

Last time when they promised the 2.1 update and were not able to deliver it on time users were whining.

Now they decided not to tell the users the update is coming and thus no one will be whining about it being delayed.

Has any manufacturer apart from Google themselves actually updated to 2.2?

HTC? Samsung? Anyone else?

No, no and no!

It is not that easy to do it so everyone just be patient and stop the stupid whining about Milestone being discontinued after 7 months.

Samsung Galaxy S has just been introduced and still Samsung have not promised a 2.2 update yet, does it mean it is being discontinued, hell no!

4. kumar3234

kumar3234 Well-Known Member

HTC and samsung have announced that all their eligible handsets get froyo.agreed that they have not updated till now, but there is a announcement.Motorola, on the other hand had not even cared for an announcement. Users don't want timelines,they just need confidence from the manufacturer.

5. kalagas

kalagas Member

I have to say that Milestone is My Last Motorola device, even if the next motorola devices are the best on the world...
    You can't advertise a phone as "flash ready" and then don't give to users the expirience of flash...
    Shame on Motorola, but it's not their fault, it's ours, because we supporting them by buying their devices....
    I am so mad with Motorola, because on Droid (as Apple has the pattend of multitouch in USA) they gave the source code (they gave the bootloader) to developers so they could enable the multitouch option, as they knew that a phone without multitouch in USA, wouldn;t have any chance to sell....
    So to have a multitouch phone inside USA they gave the bootloader for Droid, but for Milestone nothing....
    These are missteps, and for that and only that, for me motorola even if makes 2.2 for milestone availiable, with the first opportunity, i will return to HTC, or Samsung or something else Android....
    And for all those things, my opinion is that Google has a responsibility too, as Google must demand to manufactures to treat to Android as Open Source OS and not as they like....

6. spottyelephant

spottyelephant Well-Known Member

F/UCK Samsung. You're mad if you think they'll support their phones better than Moto!

Galaxy, Behold etc. all stuck on 1.5 and 1.6.

I'll never buy another Samsung product again - and you're naive if you think they'll support the phones beyond 2 or 3 android upgrades!

7. deadite66

deadite66 Well-Known Member

i got a reply back from expansys

so convinced yet 'flash 10' wording has been removed from their milestone page.

8. kalagas

kalagas Member

The names of companies were accidental....
    I wanted to expression my madness about motorola... When they want the release the bootloader (like Droid in USA) and here in Europe nothing....
    Besides i don't care if they made updates from the moment they don't lock bootloader....
    Don't stuck your mind in Samsung, the name was accidental...
    And HTC doesn't give updates very quick, but he gives the kernel and unlocked bootloader of their phones to developers, so for example Desire now can have 2.2 even if HTC doesn't release official yet....

And the biggest misstep of Motorola, is that they advertised the Milestone as "flash ready", so they have the obligation to give as the flash 10.1, with or without froyo 2.2. I don't care if thy give me froyo 2.2 (cause they never said something about it), but i demand the flash because they advertised it....

9. spottyelephant

spottyelephant Well-Known Member

Oh, I only meant that coming from Samsung, Moto are amazing. Samsung haven't once released a press comment or spoken to their customers. With the original galaxy, hundreds of emails went to Samsung, and there was never any word back.

I think Moto are great tbh. It will be a pain when they decide to discontinue support and the bootloader means you're stuck with their last OS alright, but so far so good!

10. kalagas

kalagas Member

They removed the "flash ready" from their site...
    What can we say now???

11. LifeInAnalog

LifeInAnalog Well-Known Member

...I have to agree. I was a little peeved at first, hearing how they were "undecided", but I've since calmed down. I think most of us would prefer a definite yes or no, and therein lies our anger. If it's a yes, then we can practice our best zen patience techniques and wait, and if it's a no then we can get down to rooting our paperweights and get the most out of them.

12. kumar3234

If we get a GSM version of Droid X or Droid 2, then we have to wait a lil bit longer for milestone to get froyo. Because if froyo is released for milestone, then no one buys Milestone X or Milestone 2 whatever...........Marketing strategies..............

13. kalagas

kalagas Member

Moto doesn't have to give as froyo 2.2 because they never promised...
    But i demand flash 10.1 because they advertised it to make as buy their phone....
    I don't care how they will give us the flash 10.1 (with or without froyo) but they have to find a solution and they have to give an official answer if we gonna or not have the flash 10.1 as advertised...
    We are not stupid costumers and Motorola has to understand that...

14. LifeInAnalog

...but they also have to keep in mind the large number of customers who purchased the Milestone. To alienate these people so soon after launch wouldn't be a sound marketing strategy either would it? No repeat customers.

On the flip side, what's the percentage of buyers, of any tech device, that actually cares about updating their devices to the latest firmware or software? Those of us who frequent forums, of course. But in the general population? I bet it's not as high as we'd like to think.

15. kalagas

kalagas Member

I don't think that somebody will take a phone like Milestone and he will not care about updates. The people take phones like Milestone aren't simple users. I think that they are something more than ordinary users.... and they care about updates and flash and everything...

16. LifeInAnalog

...oh, I'm not disputing that. My evidence in anecdotal only, but I have many friends who have phones, computers, GPS's, only because it's fashionable and trendy, not because they are drawn to them like we are. We, who frequent forums and the on-line tech communities, tend to see a larger problem than maybe Joe Q. Public does.

17. TelusMilestone

TelusMilestone Well-Known Member

I agree fully!

18. LifeInAnalog

...perhaps forums such as these should be a little more populated then.

19. fejker

fejker Well-Known Member

People are jumping to conclusions ... let's wait and see what happens. Besides, none of the phone makers have made the official jump to 2.2 yet - Nexus One is an exception which you can't even buy anymore.

I don't think Motorola is that stupid to not upgrade the Milestone to 2.2.

kumar3234 likes this.
  20. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

Cannot agree more.

21. hef

hef Well-Known Member

i dont give an ass what it says or doesnt say on moronola's milestone web page. it states clearly on the box that the phone is flash ready.

22. TelusMilestone

TelusMilestone Well-Known Member

"fejker - I don't think Motorola is that stupid to not upgrade the Milestone to 2.2."

Ya if they did that would be like Microsoft putting out Vista and letting all the end users report the problems!

23. kumar3234

Keeping aside marketing strategies,Motorola may be facing some problems with their resources.But they are agressive in launching products to capture the market.Milestone XT 720 landed in India today.I mean people who buy android devices are not dumbos.Moto must be smart enough to know this. I am the only one on this site dreaming about froyo for milestone in India!!!!!! Patience.....Patience.....

24. kumar3234

I think Moto will be pissed off if they see a community on facebook which says "Return back your Milestone" This was started as soon as James King the marketing guy of Motorola shared his views on Froyo for milestone.....Crazy........

25. kumar3234

May be Motorola developers must watch Inception and navigate the minds of Milestone users.They'll find Froyo everywhere ;-))........
    And they shouldn't eliminate the idea of froyo from users' mind.....