Froyo (frozen yogurt, Android 2.2) up and running on my Aria! A step by step guide to installation..

Last Updated: 2010-12-04 22:10:38
  1. mrdoc

mrdoc Well-Known Member

So.. finally i decided, its about time.. I got sick of low disk space issue and went ahead to root my phone and decided to go with Froyo. So far, I am absolutely loving it.. Even nicer UI, smoother and faster performance..

Here is a very simple guide on the process in case anyone is interested.. ( i should mention here that although i m pretty good with Windows as an amateur, i have NO experience with Linux at all. I was using Windows 7 and i believe it should not be any different for Win XP or Win Vista. Also, i have never rooted any phone before)..

1. Root your phone using Unrevoked recovery installer: Follow the steps in this guide or this guide.. (either one is fine)
    U only have to go as far as it says "Congratulations, your phone is now rooted and has ClockworkMod recovery installed."..

2. Then i made multiple backups of my phone using lookout, Astro, Gphone manager, Sprite backup and of course nandroid.. No u do not have to do all of these, probably nandroid is most important one but i just wanted to be ready as much as i could in case any thing didnt work too well!! I also copied the entire contents of my sd card to my pc..
    I also noted down the names of all the apps that i was using on stock rom..

To make a nandroid backup, power off ur phone, press volume down button and keep holding it and press power on button. Use volume up/down key to go to "recovery" and use power button to select. Then go to nandroid and press power to select.. From there it is simple to make a backup..

3. Next step is to wipe data/factory reset: Again, power off ur phone, press volume down button and keep holding it and press power on button. Use volume up/down key to go to "recovery" and use power button to select. Now select "wipe data/factory reset" and confirm..

4. Download the ROM that u want to install, liberated froyo in my case, u can download it here
    U can also use Liberated Aria rom or cyanogen rom..

5. Copy ur downloaded rom to ur sd card..

6. Again, power off ur phone, press volume down button and keep holding it and press power on button. Use volume up/down key to go to "recovery" and use power button to select. Select the zip file of the rom that u downloaded..

7. Sit back and relax till the phone is up n ready again.. Remember, first boot will take some time just like it did when u first started it after buying..

To Enable A2SD:
    Backup your applications
    Backup your sdcard
    Partition your sdcard with ROM Manager with an ext partition option. (ROM manager is in Market)
    This should start a special mode of clockwork recovery, which will partition the sdcard.

All credits to the work of original developers and writers. I only put it together in words..

Advertisement
    markbc and Bob in Northern NJ like this.
  2. Note: The Liberated Aria ROM you reference in step 4, (Liberated_aria_ddx_R012_signed.zip) is NOT a FroYo 2.2 flash. It is still 2.1. This ROM version is what I rooted and flashed my phone to several weeks ago.
  3. mrdoc

mrdoc Well-Known Member

there are 3 links in that step. One for froyo, 2nd one for liberated 2.1 and 3rd one for cyanogen.
    I used the froyo and i just checked in software information, it does say version 2.2...
  4. Yes, the froyo is 2.2 as is the cyanogen (2.2.1) It was just a bit confusing that you included a 2.1 link in your post about how excited you are to be flashed to froyo 2.2 on your phone. No harm, no foul. You also neglected to explain to everyone, that if they flash to CM6 that they will need to download the google apps package separately and flash that as well. The detailed instructions to accomplish this can be found here:
    Full Update Guide - HTC Aria - CyanogenMod Wiki
  5. mosamjc

mosamjc Member

6. losso

losso Member

Does any one know if i there is a video of step by step how to do the root on htc aria and how to download froyo 2.2 thx
  7. jerkyboy

jerkyboy Well-Known Member

How much faster is web browsing?
  8. mrdoc

mrdoc Well-Known Member

its hard to say about web browsing.. I was referring to faster performance of the phone itself..
  9. mrdoc

mrdoc Well-Known Member

updated ROM download links.. All working again..