FroYo has been out for a few months now....

Last Updated:

1. Vicdude

Vicdude Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

...... and they promised us all this:

• Better battery management
    • Improved processor performance
    • Improved rendering in the browser
    • Improvements to the Android Market
    • Ability to install applications to the SD card
    • Mobile WiFi hotspot

My Observations

Better battery management..... Impossible to prove either way
    Improved processor performance......Really? Have you actually noticed? Honestly?
    Improved rendering in the browser.....Another subjective matter. Surely it depends on your connection..?
    Improvements to the Android Market.. What?
    Ability to install applications to the SD card.... Thumbs Up....
    Mobile WiFi hotspot..Not seen or heard anyone get this to work satisfactorily yet...

Any thoughts? ;)

Advertisement
  2. JohnnyBravo1000

JohnnyBravo1000 Well-Known Member

To be honest, the only one of those statements you gave a "thumbs up" to isn't entirely true.

Not all apps can be moved to the SD card, as it depends on the developer. Also, not all of the app is moved to the SD card, and some of it is still left on the internal storage. This wouldn't be too bad if it wasn't for the Desire's poor internal storage.

The above is the main reason I decided to root and flash a ROM which supports A2SD+ - which stores the whole app on the SD card, freeing up a lot of that precious internal storage.

3. CarsnGadgets

CarsnGadgets Well-Known Member

Better battery management..... yes, not a lot but noticeable
    Improved processor performance......yes, much higher benchmark scores and less lag
    Improved rendering in the browser.....I tend to use my internet at work and my girlfriends house, and it does seem faster than on 2.1
    Improvements to the Android Market.. not sure did they mean the market app or the apps on the market?
    Ability to install applications to the SD card.... yes, but not to the degree that we would have liked.
    Mobile WiFi hotspot.. yes

im happy with 2.2 :0)

Abdur likes this.
  4. EddyOS

EddyOS Well-Known Member

Mobile Wi-Fi works and is EXPENSIVE on Vodafone!!! :(

Had to use it when I moved and home BB wasn't up and I used my months allowance in about 2 days!!

5. gibbs1984

gibbs1984 Well-Known Member

Better battery management - Noticed a little but not a lot.
    Improved processor performance - Can't comment as I'm using a custom ROM.
    Improved rendering in the browser - Seems a little faster but not a great deal.
    Improvements to the Android Market - Not noticed anything.
    Ability to install applications to the SD card - Thumbs up.
    Mobile WiFi hotspot - Never use it so can't comment.

6. staz1000

staz1000 Well-Known Member

Mobile WiFi Hotspot is bloody awesome!

7. Casual Pete

Casual Pete Well-Known Member

This

Works great for me!

8. deanshep85

deanshep85 Well-Known Member

Improvements to the Android Market - this one has changed, but only slightly....where as before on 2.1 you would have the info bout the app AND the comments all on one page, now you have 2 seperate pages for this...I think this works better. I noticed this using my girlfriends HTC Wildfire in comparison to my Desire running 2.2..not sure if theres other changes in the market that maybe we can't see like stability issues or something over a wider range of phones.

Ability to install applications to the SD card - Good but not perfect...Ok we all know this isnt perfect but when you run the NON ROOT lil trick to push all installs to memory card (except for obvious core files for apps which DO still install to phone) its still not too bad...Im not one that worrys bout having a million and one apps, so I dont mind say having 30 apps or so and them slowly taking the internal down as I've moved from a Nokia 5800, it seemed when the internal memory went down the phone would lag...not the case with the Desire :)

9. ou7shined

ou7shined Well-Known Member

And you the get "update all" function which I think is a great improvement.

10. deanshep85

I didn't know bout that one, then again I didnt actually install any apps till I'd updated to 2.2 so wouldnt of noticed the update all feature...but yea your right its an improvment.

11. denialnw10

denialnw10 Well-Known Member

WiFi Hotspot made it all worth it for me! Its great! I'm very impressed! Emergency internet access when out and about with a laptop... wouldn't suggest trying to use it as a permanent connection though especially if you do more than just browse.

Apps2SD is a joke really, the ones you would want to install to SD just don't support it = headache. But I guess that's more the fault of HTC and the limited internal memory access they chose to bless the Desire with!

12. deanshep85

yea I loved that kinda thing with my Nokia 5800 with JokiuSpot Premium on....I'd so love it even more with my Desire if my laptops WiFi was bloody working lol...somehow the lappys drivers screwed themselves...otherwise I would so have damn tested this already! :(

13. denialnw10

denialnw10 Well-Known Member

Get rid of windows and install Ubuntu. No need for drivers as they are pre-installed, it's free, it's quick, it's light weight- so you can dual boot it with Windows, and it can do everything that Windows can do without the cost, crashes, and headache... it's like the Android of the PC world!!!

14. robogo

robogo Well-Known Member

Better battery management - noticeably better, I have to say.
    Improved processor performance - like others said, much less lag, just works snappier.
    Improved rendering in the browser - can't say, I don't use the stock browser.
    Improvements to the Android Market - EDIT: the "update all" function was a welcome addon, including the automatic scan for updates.
    Ability to install applications to the SD card - only apps which support that, so it's not fully utilized.
    Mobile WiFi hotspot - this is a great thing and it works just fine, love it.

15. deanshep85

nah thats ok...its just a dell issue ;) I'll keep windows :D

16. widehead

widehead Well-Known Member

Wi-fi hotspot is faultless for me.

17. gibbs1984

gibbs1984 Well-Known Member

Or install Linux Mint which is what I use, much more user friendly!

18. Vicdude

Vicdude Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

It seems the Wifi issue has now been sorted then ;o)

19. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Well-Known Member

its a shame that before you moved from 2.1 you didnt do a quadrant bench mark
    if you had then you would see when you do it again on 2.2 its is more than double the speed for the CPU alone
    this is to do with jit in the kernel its fast as hell

as for apps2sd froyo implementation:
    i dont understand why people complain about you not being able to move all apps
    you can, there has been many posts telling you how to do it.
    you dont even need root.

all you have to do is set pm installlocation 2 in adb (dont know the command off by heart but im pretty sure someone here will have the link

20. riki1kenobi

riki1kenobi Well-Known Member

Better battery management?

Yes, at least an extra hour of use for me.

Improved processor performance

Definitely noticable, just try going back to an Eclair ROM and you will notice it within minutes.

Improved rendering in the browser

Dolphin HD so cant really comment.

Improvements to the Android Market

The update all function is good, but not exactly something I would be crowing about tbh! The market experience is okay, but it really needs a more simplistic/intuitive layout for devices with such a small screen!

Ability to install applications to the SD card

Blame the devs for the lack of this ability on most apps. Also, blame the devs for making apps with such a massive footprint :mad:

Mobile WiFi hotspot

Dont use it so cant comment......

21. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Better battery management..... can't really say, been custom since 2.1, but I think so.
    Improved processor performance......Loads better
    Improved rendering in the browser.....Using stock browser, so hard to compare.
    Improvements to the Android Market.. Worse if anything IMO
    Ability to install applications to the SD card.... Again, been doing this since 2.1. 2.2's implementation is flawed though
    Mobile WiFi hotspot..Dead good.

22. xaero

xaero Member

unsure if your on a branded handset or not, but i have used orange branded 2.2, and the stock 2.2 is alot better for most of the stuff you mentioned - just sayin'.

23. donnie

donnie Well-Known Member

Apps 2 SD; That only some apps support this, is truly better than nothing.

WiFi Hotspot; I ran a computer and an Xbox 360 at the same time on this once. Worked great !

I'm satisifed.

24. mlines

mlines Active Member

Mobile WiFi Hotspot....

....son happy with browsing Internet with Laptop all the way down M4 Motorway whilst phone in cradle on Dashboard.

(Unlimited Data on T-Mobile)

:)

25. craggybuk

craggybuk Well-Known Member

Only used the wi-fi hotspot feature once and I have to say it worked perfectly. On the whole I've been happy with Froyo although it would be nice to see more developers making use of the 'Install to SD card' features.