Froyo HD video lagging

Last Updated:

1. jamadza

jamadza Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hi.
    Just insatlled Froyo on my non-rooted desire and tried the hd video. Recording was ok but during playback, the video was randomly lagging. The sound playback was flawless.
    Have you experienced the same?

Advertisement
  2. d.chatten

d.chatten Well-Known Member

Are you using a class 2 SD card, if so then this is your problem, you'll probably need a class 4 at least.

3. Casual Pete

Casual Pete Well-Known Member

Not necessarily true,my class 2 writes at class 6 speeds.

4. Arctic-Winds

Arctic-Winds Active Member

I've got no problems with it lagging. Just disappointed at the the framerate which although I knew was going to be low (20fps I think), just didn't think it would be that bad on playback.

5. pspbricker

pspbricker Well-Known Member

I think the HD recording needs improving if possible.

I had the lag problem, every 5 secs the screen would freeze for about 1/2 a sec. It had about 16 FPS.

I used task killer, then tried again. No lag this time, but the vid dropped to a very poor 9 FPS.

Methinks the update needs an update....:mad:

6. cloud11

cloud11 Member

The HD wasn't designed to be like a proper camcorder or a Nokia phone its meant to be used with very slow moving things. Mainly the bragging rights which come with it. The frame rate with lower resolutions is better and as far as I can tell and doesn't really affect picture quality. I'm just happy they gave us froyo in the time that they have, appreciate it!!! :D
    Also SD card is important im using a class 4 and it works ok with me but when I tried my old class 2 was slower so I think memory cards are to blame along with processes.

7. UKseagull

UKseagull Well-Known Member

Has anyone else tried recording in H.264 format? I tried it once and got a black screen on playback, the sound seemed fine.

8. jamadza

jamadza Active Member This Topic's Starter

I have the default 4gig SD card, dunno what Class it is... 2?

Having similar issue as pspbricker has.

How can I measure the FPS ?

9. Phenomenological

Phenomenological Well-Known Member

It's the SD card. It can't transfer the information to the phone at the speed that's needed for smooth playback. There will also be issues with the amount of video data that can actually be sent to the card I'd imagine.

10. d.chatten

d.chatten Well-Known Member

The problem is, class 2 cards weren't originaly designed to read/write at class 6 speeds, class 2 cards where designed to read/write at class 2 speeds, if you get or already have a class 2 card that is advertised to read/write at class 6 speeds there is no guarantee and you'll be taking chance.

11. Tiberiu

Tiberiu New Member

How sure can we be that this is a microSD card problem and not a video compression problem. I've allready ordered a class 6 card and want to know if that's going to solve things.

12. haris9

haris9 Well-Known Member

could you please tell me how i get to know about my SD card class. Does it written on the SD card or there is another way to find out. this SD card is already installed by htc when i bought my phone. thanks

13. nacatomi

nacatomi Well-Known Member

For any cards you buy its usually written on the card, the supplied card from HTC is a class 2 (because its cheaper).

I swapped mine for an 8GB class 6 I use in my veho muvi and my 720p recording has gone up to 24-26fps and that was in cloudy bad lighting conditions at 07:30 this morning. So for a phone its not bad at all although I suspect it would be better on a nice sunny day.