Froyo Help- I'm hating it!

Last Updated:

1. amybefay

amybefay New Member This Topic's Starter

So last night I decided after a week of research to update to Froyo. Needless to say I HATE it. It's super slow, and I've read and read how to fix it with no avail. Swype is gone (don't have the uninstaller, just the swype under applications) and I can't connect a picture with a contact anymore. It takes 30+ seconds to open-load anything. I tried chanigng my live wallpaper last night from the bubbles to the beach and it took me 2+ minutes. Any help would be great on how to fix it, or go back to 2.1 which I loved. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
  2. Timberline

Timberline Well-Known Member

which custom ROM did you load ?

3. amybefay

I downloaded and installed the I897UCJI6-OCD-REV02-Low-designgears.exe file. I launched that file, held down the volume buttons and let it do its thing.

4. viny2cool

viny2cool Well-Known Member

use Assonance 4.3 or pereception build 5-8 or even cong 2.3beta8

5. Tallsilver

Tallsilver Active Member

I downloaded same file. Swype works........pic to contact works! Now trying to find out if froyo has voice dialing via bluetooth???

6. amybefay

I have the voice dialing via bluetooth, but no swype or any keyboard for that matter.. Do you have the uninstaller file? I am missing that file, just have the Swype app. Also, all my applications say 0.00 for everything. Phone seems to work except for all these little issues. Wish we could trade..

7. nickerz95

nickerz95 Member

can you boot from Micro SD with the Captivate?

8. wes78

wes78 Well-Known Member

I hear ya, man. I flashed the stock ROM, also. Now all my apps are gone (yes I realize I'm an idiot and a noob), but moreover, I can't even find the NY TIMES app in the market!!! WTF!!! Totally not worth it to mess with my rooted and lag fixed SUPER fast rocket. Now everything is gone and I have to reflash 2.1, then somehow try to get the update.zip into the right place (can't figure it out), and reflash perception. Oh then I get to attempt to put back swype and TouchWiz.

If you are a noob, I seriously don't recommend messing with 2.2 until you really know what you're doing. I mean I can't even figure out the update.zip thing hahaha

9. amybefay

I was able to get all my apps back with one click. I just can't deal with the super slowness and the lack of a keyboard/swype.. I mean it's pointless to have a phone if you can't send a text, browse the web, or even download an app.

And no, you can't boot from the SD card, only the internal SD or the phone.

I'm sort of a noob. I have had iphones and windows phone before, so I mean I have a clue, but never an android.

10. Segfault

Segfault Well-Known Member

I know the perception ROM (which may be what you are using, its created by designgears along with Cognition) doesn't come with Swype. Go to the XDA forum and look at the first or second post in the Perception ROM thread (its in the Captivate / Android Development folder). I'm assuming thats where you got the ROM in the first place. There are links to apps that weren't included in the ROM and I know that there is one there for Swype. You just need to download the apk file and install it. There will be some instructions there I think.

I'm not sure what to do about the slowness. The best thing to do is to register for the XDA forum and ask again in the thread for the specific ROM you installed. Based on the filename I'm guessing its either perception or cognition.

amybefay likes this.