• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Froyo KIES update progress reports

I did the reg hack update thingy last night with mucho success, here in Australia. At fist I had the massive lag and vibrating issue but as soon as I set saumsung keyboard as default off it zoomed. A few reboots and trying swype but the lag and vibrate came back, until after about an hour or so and then it all just worked fine.

Haven't had to hard reset or anything, first reboot took a long time and had me a little nervous but it was all fine in the end. If I can do it anyone can, that's for sure.

I haven't had much time to test it out as such. But using desktop visualizer to re-do all my widgets etc was much faster than on 2.1 with rza oclf. I haven't investigated rooting 2.2 yet, no urgency though there are a few apps I like that require root access. Happy camper.

Upvote 0
Changed the registry, used Kies to download Froyo, transfer started and then USB detected a new device which caused a fail in the firmware update, immediately tried a recovery with no joy. Now all I see is the (phone--!--computer) icon.

Have tried all sorts of resets keeps coming back with same icon and won't go into download mode

Bricked!

Awesome.

Upvote 0
Changed the registry, used Kies to download Froyo, transfer started and then USB detected a new device which caused a fail in the firmware update, immediately tried a recovery with no joy. Now all I see is the (phone--!--computer) icon.

Have tried all sorts of resets keeps coming back with same icon and won't go into download mode

Bricked!

Awesome.
Sorry, I hope you do not mind but I need to use your post as an example:-

Let me get this straight and please correct me if I am wrong....
You change the registry so that you can install something which is not meant for you and when it goes wrong your unhappy.

I'm seeing a pattern of these kind of replies and I have to ask the question ~ Why do it when you know there is the possibility you'll run into difficulties?

There's a very good reason why it's being rolled out in the manner which it is.
I know it's frustrating watching other countries getting it first but I'd rather wait and play safe than run with the devil.

Reactions: SlowRain
Upvote 0
Im hearing what you say beards but if you read the post again it sounds like that could happen when doing an official update.
Obviously doing it from the official specific country release will negate using the registry and whether that is causing the problem on paper we could say yes but I'm not sure.
I had to tread a little light when I asked about 'hacking' the registry and whether doing so would give exactly the same as waiting for one's own specific release.

We have to ask ourselves ~ If all it required was a registry identification, why did Samsung choose to only push the release to selected countries?

Upvote 0
as i have posted this the other day, i lived and worked in italy, i got my galaxy s from germany, set my kies to uk english, do i have to wait for froyo release in germany, italy or uk? i already tried the registry hacking, it does show froyo in the firmware update, but i failed all the time. i had to remove the battery each time to restart the phone because the screen just shows that little yellow guy that says downloading.... don't remove the target. any ideas?

Upvote 0
as i have posted this the other day, i lived and worked in italy, i got my galaxy s from germany, set my kies to uk english, do i have to wait for froyo release in germany, italy or uk? i already tried the registry hacking, it does show froyo in the firmware update, but i failed all the time. i had to remove the battery each time to restart the phone because the screen just shows that little yellow guy that says downloading.... don't remove the target. any ideas?

by the way, phone is rooted jf3

Upvote 0
Let me get this straight and please correct me if I am wrong....
You change the registry so that you can install something which is not meant for you and when it goes wrong your unhappy.

Dude, of course I'm unhappy, I just turned my phone into a paperweight, nevertheless, don't worry I have bitch slapped myself a number of times since.

In my frustration I probably wasn't very clear in my post wrt what actually happened. I'm quite cautious when it comes to this sort of thing and don't just go at stuff willy nilly, so by using the Samsung software to conduct the update and just tricking it into thinking that the phone was an earlier version than it actually was to simply download the updated firmware to the computer, I thought it would be pretty safe.

It worked initially, downloaded the update and proceeded to install it to the phone, the download screen appeared on the phone for a minute or two then my computer, with me well away from it letting it do it's thing, popped up the detected new usb device window "Samsung USB Composite Device" which I guess meant that somehow the phone lost the USB connection and was re-detected as different hardware. This then immediately gave the Kies software a coronary and it stopped the update, meanwhile the download screen was still visible on the phone. After acknowledging the error, I selected repair firmware in Kies, this also failed, many times actually, I kept trying with a vain hope that it might somehow come good. After I gave up and unplugged everything the phone wouldn't allow me to get back to the download screen in any way, it simply shows the (phone--!--computer) icon no matter what I do.

I'm using windows 7 on a Dell XPS 1340 notebook, Kies version 1.5.1 and just thinking about what could have possible gone wrong, I had the Galaxy S set to allow me to choose what to do when a USB connection is made, maybe this contributed to the failure, I don't know, but if you are thinking about doing the update make sure yours isn't.

Anyways, now it's time to find someone who can fix it. Apparently we do learn from our mistakes.

Upvote 0
Well it's not the end of the world yet.

1) If you take out the battery and try to use the 3 button combo to get to download mode, does that help? If so, you can try to flash new firmware (same one if you desire so) via Odin.
EDIT: Read your above posts, no luck here then I assume.

2) If that's not working, you can just wait untill Froyo update comes officialy to Australia (that's where you live, right?) and then have the phone repaired, simply stating that while using Kies to officialy update your phone, you got a brick.

Upvote 0
Yep, tried all combinations of button presses, battery in, out and otherwise. All to no avail.

I think I will do just as you suggested, with a bit of luck I won't have to wait too long. Really though, was I doing anything wrong by using Official Samsung software to flash a Samsung phone with Official Samsung firmware? Why do I feel as if i was?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Upvote 0
Well what you did "wrong" is the registry hack, but I did the same and no problem here. Granted, the reason your update failed has nothing to do with the hack.

There could be plenty of reasons why it went wrong: Old Kies version, buggy drivers, accidental driver failure (hence the reinstalling you mentioned) and the most probabble reason: KIES itself.

You could try to install the newest version of Kies and see if you can do repair, but I doubt it. I guess you just have to wait and then have it repaired.

Upvote 0
neorhon,

I can't answer specifically, but here's a link to an Engadget article about the Froyo update for the Galaxy S: Galaxy S Android 2.2 Froyo update begins to trickle out (update: official) -- Engadget. I don't know if the listing of regions is in the same order as the roll-out, but I'm going to assume it is. It doesn't give a time frame, but Southeast Asia is listed after Europe--for whatever that's worth.

Be patient.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the heads up Beards. Any idea if this is going out to branded/simlocked phones, or just unlocked ones?

My understanding was that it was meant to be all carrier branded ones but T-Mobile are suggesting a delay of 6 weeks might be in order to tweak the Orange/T-Mobile roaming.

I suspect we're going to see it go to everyone but T-Orange in the next few days.

Upvote 0
i tried to update thru registry hack was able to do get the upgrade two days back to jp6 though dint install thought ill do it when its officially available however lost patience when i read that it will be available to t mobile uk by end of november tried to update it again thru reg hack its now showing upgrade to pda jm2/phone jm1/csc jm1 where has froyo gone
frown.gif

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones