Froyo moved to novemeber?

Last Updated:

1. RJA

RJA Active Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

Looking at it from where we are now, I'm not sure I actually agree that 2.2 in late November is a disappointment.

From reading previous threads, I'm not certain that if you polled Vibrant users and asked to guess when 2.2 is coming out that the average wouldn't have been right around there anyhow.

Still, I'm very disappointed that Samsung has fallen so far behind HTC and Motorola. A late November release of 2.2 would have Samsung about 2-3 months behind those companies. When the average lifespan of a smartphone is probably 20-24 months, that's a lot. How'd they screw up so badly for a model that's sold 5 million units?

It looks like that article is using this for reference
    http://support.t-mobile.co.uk/discussions/index?page=forums&topic=8010381012acde012b9e2be812007deb

This looks like it's related to T-Mobile UK only though. But, perhaps that makes things even worse. Isn't T-Mobile USA behind Europe? Maybe mid-November for UK means later for USA?

joel77055 likes this.
  3. coasterman927

coasterman927 Well-Known Member

The article looks like it's talking about T-Mobile UK (since it mentions Orange, another UK provider). But that very well could be the case for us as well, since JI6 is supposed to continue rolling out through the end of the month.

4. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

According to verizon the average lifespan of a mobile phone is 8 months. Driod 2/driod x both have a shelf life 8 months after it's release.

5. VegasTouch

VegasTouch Well-Known Member

At least Apple gets their updates out asap and dont have bloatware on their phones and dont rely on AT&T to release their firmware.

This is just ridiculous and i have no confidence now that we will get Gingerbread in any kind of timely manner.

6. the1who

the1who Well-Known Member

7. Yaz75

Yaz75 Active Member

No, Apple requires that you plug in a data cable and use iTunes to update your phone.

And if you think they haven't had their share of problems/bricked phones, then you need to stop drinking the Kool-Aid.

Relax

8. VegasTouch

WTF? Who cares if they have to plug in their phone? They have had 5 updates since i have had my Vibrant. And i know they have problems. Im just saying that Samsung and T-Mobile are damn slow so whats YOUR problem?

I love my Vibrant. Had an iPhone for two years before i switched. Just get frustrated that this update is taking too long while many others already have it and it just may get delayed yet again. Doesnt bode well for getting Gingerbread in a decent time.

9. pantlesspenguin

pantlesspenguin Well-Known Member

Gingerbread isn't out for ANYONE yet. Let's take things one update at a time, shall we?

10. VegasTouch

Yeah no kidding. I guess this is going over some of yours head.

11. Yaz75

Yaz75 Active Member

Most recent Android software is a first world problem. You have a computer in your pocket that does amazing things. Relax.

12. Yaz75

Yaz75 Active Member

No problem at all. I enjoy the functionality that I have, which is quite a lot, and I wait for the next OTA whenever that happens. I don't have to tether myself to Apple, it's cable or it's iTunes program.

damewolf13 and pantlesspenguin like this.
  13. howetechnical

howetechnical Well-Known Member

Bad example, Apple only develops for one carrier, so there's no customizations requiring them to release it to carriers first.

14. pantlesspenguin

I may be short, but this issue is hardly going over my head. I buy my devices for what they do NOW, and not what they MIGHT be capable of in the future. Heck, I was more excited for the GPS update than I am for the froyo update because GPS was one thing I expected my phone to do out of the box. But froyo? Perhaps gingerbread? Those will be awesome when they come. In the meantime, however, I'm loving my Vibrant for all it does.

Yaz75 and robo21 like this.
  15. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

Might not be the smartest way to buy though.

If you knew that Motorola and HTC would provide more and quicker upgrades than Samsung, would you still buy a Samsung?

I think a lot of people would prefer buying a phone that might get the next 2 major upgrades in a timely manner vs 1 upgrade late.

Of course, you don't know who will upgrade what going in, but you can use previous history as an example.

Next time I'm getting a new phone, I'll remember that HTC and Motorola delivered a major upgrade 2-3 months (and perhaps more) before Samsung. I'd be foolish not to factor that into my buying decision in some way or another.

kbohip and Yaz75 like this.
  16. rocketragz

rocketragz Well-Known Member

i agree with lex. i will consider the slow upgrade time of samsung next time.

17. pantlesspenguin

Of course this is some good insight. This is my first Android device, & when I was researching it I just thought it seemed like an amazing device that would fit my needs perfectly & would be a substantial upgrade from my BlackBerry 9700.

I don't really mind waiting for updates, as long as the manufacturer gives clear reasons behind the delays, & this is something Samsung is not doing. If there are some bugs to work out then I can understand the delay rather than rush the update to us in order to get it distributed quickly. Know what I mean? But, Samsung really isn't being that forthcoming about the reasons behind the delays, & that irks me more than the delay itself.

BUT...like I said...I'm still taking things day by day & loving my phone along the way. It seems like every day I'm discovering something new it can do, & that's awesome. I tend to jump from phone to phone every 8-12 months & this time I've made a list of things I want out of my next device. It's a pretty extensive list, & if every criteria isn't met then I won't get the phone. So, it looks like I'll be hanging onto my Vibrant for quite some time :).

Yaz75 likes this.
  18. yatimameiji

yatimameiji Well-Known Member

So besides the new JIT, what does having 2.2 make it so must have? I'd be more concerned that after 2.2 they leave us behind and not offer an update to gingerbread. Hell we don't even have a front facing camera so we'll miss out on that feature of gingerbread.

19. robo21

robo21 Well-Known Member

Agreed 99% (except for the part about being short - lol) and I find it interesting and promising that there is something for the GPS in Froyo also. It sounds like the Vibrant is just going to get better and better. ;)

20. LoweredStandards

LoweredStandards Well-Known Member

I've had my vibrant for almost three weeks and so far I havent experience any lag with the 2.1. Got my JI6 update OTA and it installed flawlessly. The phone is very snappy and I can't imagine it getting much faster, so I'm not too upset that the 2.2 release isn't here yet. I would still take the Vibrant over the iphone any day of the week. As said above, the open source is probably one of the best things going for the phone and its not tethered to Apple development.

The Vibrant will get better and better with time and if I have to wait a little bit longer for updates than everyone else then so be it. Also, after reading numerous threads about lag and speed of the phone, I have decided to ignor the numbers and ratings that downloadable programs give you because quite frankly, there is no single program that can measure every aspect of the phone. It has it's ups and downs like every other phone. It's like people are looking for a reason to not like the phone.

Its certainly the best phone offered by T-Mobile, and its also one of the best phones on the worldwide market. If you have a Vibrant, stop looking for reasons to hate it, even without the Froyo update, it's still faster than most phones.

pantlesspenguin and robo21 like this.
  21. robo21

robo21 Well-Known Member

Common sense wafts through this thread like a cool breeze of fresh air.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Neverstuck and Yaz75 like this.
  22. Yaz75

Yaz75 Active Member

Sure, but you're offering a measured, thought out strategy for how to spend your dollar. You're not buying a phone then "OMGWTF THIS PHONE SUCKS SO BAD SAMSUNG IS THE WORST I WANT MY UPDATES NOW OR T-MOBILE WILL BE SORRY THIS IS BULL$HIT!!!!!!!"

23. VegasTouch

Pretty much what im saying. I got this phone the second day of release with the understanding we would get 2.2 in Sept. Now it is moved to late Nov ? Maybe longer? i just think if they are doing that with 2.2, what will happen with 3.0? We will be dead last again by a mile.

Agree...next time ill be looking at other phone makers myself if Samsung continues to be slow, but this time it appears T-Mobile who is dragging it on.

I love this phone and Android but man, this is one of the best phones going, if not th best and we are far behind others in getting it upgraded and it is frustrating. It isnt a dire NEED on my part. Ive been pretty patient. Just get tired of seeing delays.

24. HadouGhost

HadouGhost Well-Known Member

Hey guys, chill out. Flamewar in PM please.

I've gone out and grabbed a G2 aswell. While i did it for many rasons, the whole samsung and operating systems thing was a factor. I owned a Behold 2...lol..and the vibrant and i've not had a good taste from samsung. You bet your sweet ass that the G2 will see 3.0. Not only is it by HTC, but its straight T mobile and its a vanilla version of 2.2. no stupid touchwiz, motoblur, sense or other kind of UI to deal with.

25. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery VIP Member

I would like to remind everyone to keep on topic. Discuss or debate your opinions or platforms but do NOT attack other members. I've cleaned up the thread and deleted all posts that are off topic and rude. Next warning, will result in infraction by offending members.

I will say, all members get equal treatment here. We do not only look at a member's post count to see the quality of a member. You are all gold in our eyes (unless you are proven otherwise :p)

Cheers
    -Roze-