• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Froyo moved to novemeber?

Well, he will be famous when he grows up and becomes a champ. But his namesake is famous, Kahless - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia At the moment he's an adolescent, 21 months, 235 lbs and 35" at the shoulders.

His grand dad is the most awarded English Mastiff in the country of all time and his dad was the number 3 dog in the AKC last year.

Here's a shot from the Vibrant with 2, 3year old boxers with their owner taken at the park:

Beautiful dogs! Boxers are my overall favorite. :)

And Kahless is...one...BIG...puppy! I expect no one gives you a bad time when you take him out for a walk.

Upvote 0
Beautiful dogs! Boxers are my overall favorite. :)

And Kahless is...one...BIG...puppy! I expect no one gives you a bad time when you take him out for a walk.

You got that right. People even stop their cars to comment on him. I grew up with boxers but after getting to know Mastiffs, there is no other dog for us.

"What the lion is to the cat - the Mastiff is to the dog, the noblest of family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and his generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race." Cynographia Britannica - 1800

Upvote 0
"Wrong" is too strong a word. Engadget was off by a week in quoting Samsung in the "end of september" JI6 - they were a week off. Time will tell, meanwhile have fun, don't worry, be happy. ;)

In this case, "wrong" is exactly the right word. Engadget misininterpreted a press release from Samsung UK and Ireland to apply to the United States.

If, coincidentally, Froyo does end up being deployed here during that time, that will not make this Engadget story right. All the lame Engadget reporter had to do was read the press release closely, and call Samsung to clarify if he was confused. He did neither.

Upvote 0
Might not be the smartest way to buy though.

If you knew that Motorola and HTC would provide more and quicker upgrades than Samsung, would you still buy a Samsung?

I think a lot of people would prefer buying a phone that might get the next 2 major upgrades in a timely manner vs 1 upgrade late.

Of course, you don't know who will upgrade what going in, but you can use previous history as an example.

Next time I'm getting a new phone, I'll remember that HTC and Motorola delivered a major upgrade 2-3 months (and perhaps more) before Samsung. I'd be foolish not to factor that into my buying decision in some way or another.

I would. One month ago I had a nexus one with android 2.2.1 however I like better my samsung vibrant. Although its been very disappointing that samsung has been delaying the update too many times.

I want froyo mainly because of full flash support and native wireless tethering. Everything else works flawlessly and even more with the lag fix I have installed.

I have no problem waiting for the update maybe one more month but if samsung is gonna keep doing the same thing over and over ill think of switching manufacturers

Upvote 0
In this case, "wrong" is exactly the right word. Engadget misininterpreted a press release from Samsung UK and Ireland to apply to the United States.

If, coincidentally, Froyo does end up being deployed here during that time, that will not make this Engadget story right. All the lame Engadget reporter had to do was read the press release closely, and call Samsung to clarify if he was confused. He did neither.

Perhaps. Time will tell. But I was referring more to Engadget's reporting of the JI6 update's estimated arrival date being the end of Sept. They were a week off. No biggie.

Meanwhile, I don't get the hubbub over Froyo. It will get here when it gets here. Meanwhile, I'm loving the Vibrant and all that it brings to my business and personal life. It works for me. Would I like to see Froyo now? Sure. Does it bother me if it takes 6 or 8 weeks to get here? Hell no, I have better things to do than worry about Froyo.

Reminiscent of a line from the Sopranos where Tony says, "Reminds me of the woman with a Virginia ham under her arm bitching because she has no bread!"

Upvote 0
Perhaps. Time will tell. But I was referring more to Engadget's reporting of the JI6 update's estimated arrival date being the endo of Sept. They were a week off. No biggie.

Meanwhile, I don't get the hubbub over Froyo. It will get here when it gets here. Meanwhile, I'm loving the Vibrant and all that it brings to my business and personal life. It works for me. Would I like to see Froyo now? Sure. Does it bother me if it takes 6 or 8 weeks to get here? Hell no, I have better things to do than worry about Froyo.

I actually agree with you about everyone being more calm about Froyo. I'm content to get it when I get it. For the record, Samsung USA is today reiterating what it has said all along: Froyo will be deployed sometime this year.

However, being calm about Froyo does not excuse sloppy reporting by Engadget here about the facts. (But good for them you can remember something else they were almost right about.)

Upvote 0
I actually agree with you about everyone being more calm about Froyo. I'm content to get it when I get it. For the record, Samsung USA is today reiterating what it has said all along: Froyo will be deployed sometime this year.

However, being calm about Froyo does not excuse sloppy reporting by Engadget here about the facts. (But good for them you can remember something else they were almost right about.)

And likewise, I agree with you about sloppy reporting. There is no excuse for it. Have you posted on Engadget? I would love to read your posts over there where they might do some good. Maybe wake the goofball up a little bit.

I don't know if we can blame Engadget for the 1 week delay on JI6, that was more Tmo/Samsung than their error I believe. But they were close... lol. Don't get me wrong, I'm NOT defending Engadget in the least - that site reminds me more of a personal blog rather than a genuine tech news reporting agency.

Upvote 0
And likewise, I agree with you about sloppy reporting. There is no excuse for it. Have you posted on Engadget? I would love to read your posts over there where they might do some good. Maybe wake the goofball up a little bit.

I don't know if we can blame Engadget for the 1 week delay on JI6, that was more Tmo/Samsung than their error I believe. But they were close... lol. Don't get me wrong, I'm NOT defending Engadget in the least - that site reminds me more of a personal blog rather than a genuine tech news reporting agency.

I never have blamed Engadget for the JI6 delay, nor even cared what they were reporting about it. The delay was obviously a real SNAFU on the part of the carrier and/or Samsung, as was the Keystone Kops deployment of a Captivate firmware update shortly before that.

As for posting comments on Engadget, I almost registered there today. But I don't think I could tolerate the low quality of the discourse on the site. Of four pages of comments so far on this Froyo UK story today, only a single comment points out the fundamentally gross error of the original story. Mostly the commenters there are just fanboys of various camps calling each other names.

Upvote 0
Well clearly we have plenty of time to work it out but what is Kies? That is how we have to dowload or install the update? Is it already on our phone? I have seen it talked about here , or on XDA.

Kies is...well, an iTunes for Samsung, as it were? I think the intent is a content manager for our phones. I don't know that it's even official in the U.S. yet. It's not something that I'd ever have need for.

Perhaps more importantly to some, it is, apparently from what I've read to date, the method by which Froyo will be distributed. Some have used it successfully to update their phones to the latest update, JI6.

Most have had better luck updating to JI6 with Kies Mini, which apparently was made solely for the purpose of updating the Vibrant. You can find it here:

How Do I Update The Software On My T-Mobile SGH-t959 (Vibrant) Phone To JI6 Through Kies Mini?

Again, I haven't used it, nor am I ever likely too. You can update your phone via Odin, which is what I prefer.

Go here for some good info on our phone:

[REF]***Vibrant Directory(Bible)Rev2.1--A little color can't hurt--***(10/21/2010)*** - xda-developers

Upvote 0
Kies is a Windows utility from Samsung that allows updating the phone. They provided a version called mini Kies for manually installing the JI6 update. Sounds like they intend to provide something similar for Froyo as well.

So my question is will it be included in the 2.2 update? I got the JI6 OTA sent to my phone and i just downloaded that. Never said anything else about mini Kies to do it. Just clicked yes and it downloaded.

Upvote 0
So my question is will it be included in the 2.2 update? I got the JI6 OTA sent to my phone and i just downloaded that. Never said anything else about mini Kies to do it. Just clicked yes and it downloaded.

There was more than one way to get the JI6 update. You got it OTA. Samsung also provided a version of it's Kies SW that runs on a Windows PC that allowed doing the JI6 update manually. Kies isn't a phone app it's a Windows app.

When they release 2.2 it sounds like they'll also provide a version of Kies to do the update. Instructions will be provided I'm sure.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones