• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Froyo On Evo Date Speculation

this issue is the one reason I wish the Evo was vanilla Android and HTC just made all their cool widgets as 3rd party software downloadable through the Market, only for HTC phones :). I like Sense for other reasons, but reading about the N1 getting updates instantaneously is making me drool

Upvote 0
i say sprint will try and get it out asap because the evo is going to be their baby and want to show future evo customers that updates will not take months and help ppl decide that the evo is a good choice not only hardware wise but speedy android updates as well
If it was 100% up to Sprint I would agree with you. Unfortunately, a lot will have to do with HTC and they haven't shown a track record of getting new Adnroid versions out the door quickly.

Upvote 0
If Sprint is the only carrier that is carrying the EVO why can't HTC just develop it to Sprint's specifications, and cut them out of the loop for testing and so forth? Why does Sprint need to middle-man it? Just wait for HTC to do their thing and release it

They probably could, but I would venture to guess that part of the testing process includes acclimating tech support to the versions. I'm also guessing there are some FCC issues involved.

There are probably a whole lot more reasons, but it also wouldn't surprise me if it's fear of change and lack of control by the corporate big wigs and other political issues like the jobs of those who are responsible for testing. The merging of business and tech is a funny thing.

Upvote 0
Ok I see that this thread has taken off in my absence. lol. Let's try to keep things going.

(but these were mostly just bug fixes, Hell almost all the pre updates were bug fixes, or adding things that should have been there from the start, there whave been only like 1 or 2 BIG updates (as in big meaning they added alot of cool things) in the past year, but even those were things other smart phones were already doing (and one of those updates took like 45-90 days for sprint to approve according to info palm posted about update approval times from the diff carriers)

This is/was my main point. Most of the Pre updates were patches and bug fixes not OS upgrades, and with no middle man, most of the updates came quickly. However, there was still that one that took almost 3 months for Sprint to come out and to be honest that wasn't Palm's fault.

A couple people have mentioned Sprint learning from their mistakes and it won't happen this time because the EVO is there flagship device. I still feel other devices that Sprint had were important as well. The Hero could have been considered there flagship Android device and it didn't get an update until a few days ago.

With that being said:

1. Will this being their first major exclusive phone will that truly be enough to get them to update in a timely fashion?

2. Will they use the fact that it is "so high tech" and that it is the only phone that supports 4G as a crutch if the updates don't come out as fast as some would like?

At the beginning of the year HTC WinMo phones had a time stamp issue causing texts to say 2016 instead of 2010, it took Sprint at least a month to release a fix
3. Will the Evo's version of 2.1 have bugs? Will Sprint release fixes/patches in a timely manner?

For the folks who like/love Sense UI
4. If there were an official Sprint version of 2.2 to come out w/o Sense UI would you update to that?

5. Lastly, for now, Will Sprint still care enough about the EVO enough to release an official version of Gingerbread when it comes out?

Discuss

Upvote 0
Ok I see that this thread has taken off in my absence. lol. Let's try to keep things going.

This is/was my main point. Most of the Pre updates were patches and bug fixes not OS upgrades, and with no middle man, most of the updates came quickly. However, there was still that one that took almost 3 months for Sprint to come out and to be honest that wasn't Palm's fault.

A couple people have mentioned Sprint learning from their mistakes and it won't happen this time because the EVO is there flagship device. I still feel other devices that Sprint had were important as well. The Hero could have been considered there flagship Android device and it didn't get an update until a few days ago.

With that being said:

1. Will this being their first major exclusive phone will that truly be enough to get them to update in a timely fashion?

2. Will they use the fact that it is "so high tech" and that it is the only phone that supports 4G as a crutch if the updates don't come out as fast as some would like?

At the beginning of the year HTC WinMo phones had a time stamp issue causing texts to say 2016 instead of 2010, it took Sprint at least a month to release a fix
3. Will the Evo's version of 2.1 have bugs? Will Sprint release fixes/patches in a timely manner?

For the folks who like/love Sense UI
4. If there were an official Sprint version of 2.2 to come out w/o Sense UI would you update to that?

5. Lastly, for now, Will Sprint still care enough about the EVO enough to release an official version of Gingerbread when it comes out?

Discuss
The answers to your questions
1. This phone will still take a while, but nowhere near as long as the hero
2. Yes, of course they will
3. Most likely, but sprint should be able to fix like they did on the pre
4. Only if the mobile hotspot feature was unlocked and free. I believe that it will work on 3g but for 4g it will cost extra
5. Yes, they upgraded the moment and hero 2 weeks before their biggest phone ever and i doubt anything on sprint will blow the Evo out of the water

Upvote 0
This is the "way out" that you speak of. I've been programming for a few years. Any program you write can be changed if you have access to the source code. I wasn't saying that Sprint would have trouble disabling the free tethering. What I mean is that it would take more time with them or them and HTC having to implement and test code that disables it then if HTC just makes sure Sense works and releases it.

I expect they can simply remove the Hot Spot app with little more effort than it takes to remove an app that doesn't happen to come bundled with the OS. I don't see it being likely that any additional coding or testing would be required. It's just a program, sorry, an app, no different than the web browser or the email client.

I just don't see the Sense UI being that big of an obstacle, because apparently it can be disabled on the EVO, leaving you with stock Android. If it can be that easily toggled on and off, that seems to say it's not all that tightly integrated into the OS. In other words, it's just a fancy home screen replacement.

My feeling is that HTC has already been testing Sense on Froyo betas, and won't need that much additional time to retest and retune for the final release.

My personal guess is that HTC and Sprint are going to aim for mid-June. Announcing a rapid upgrade to Froyo would be a heck of a way to steal back some of thunder after the official Apple 4G announcement. They're going to aim for the folks who've been holding out for the iPhone 4g, hoping to get some of them to just pause, and think, iPhone doesn't, but EVO does, cheaper and faster too!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones