• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Froyo on G1 is it possible

Not sure where to post this, so I'll try here. I upgraded to a Vibrant lat year and kept my G1 as a backup. I'm wondering if it is possible to put 2.2 on the G1. If something were to happen to my Vibrant I would have use the G1 again and would hate lose some of the features available in Froyo. Any help will be appreciated. Also if I've posted this in the wrong place please point me in the right direction.
Thanks

It's possible, I've also used Cyanogenmod 6 Android 2.2 on my G1. It's just slower than on newer devices and has low memory, but everything was working well.
To update to (unofficial) Android 2.2, you need to root the phone (void warranty), load custom recovery, update radio and flash the ROM, everything is well described for example here :
HTC Dream - CyanogenMod Wiki

or in G1 rooting section on this forum :
G1 - All Things Root - Android Forums

Of course there are also other 2.2 ROMs than Cyanogenmod, you can google it or check the G1 rooting section to find some other ROMs.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones