Froyo on Orange UK with branded handset?Support

Last Updated:

1. Jamalsid

Jamalsid Member This Topic's Starter

Hi guys

Been looking at these forums for a few weeks now since I got my phone on Orange UK and was wandering if anyone has managed to get the official Froyo update through Kies for a branded Orange UK Galaxy S?

Everytime I check Kies tells me the latest firmware is on my phone, but I'm sure I read a post from Beards stating all Galaxy S phones should be able to get the update by 11th and its the 12th now and still no update showing fo me.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Advertisement
  2. andy-roid

andy-roid Well-Known Member

orange might release the update the same time as the mobile

3. Jamalsid

Jamalsid Member This Topic's Starter

Same time as the mobile??

Don't quite follow you there?

4. funksplutter

funksplutter Active Member

OrangeHelpers on Twitter yesterday said

If I get a chance over the weekend I'm going to have a go with Odin because I have no faith that Orange will get an update out this month.

5. Or you could get an older version of kies and hack the reg to fool it into thinking you have the latest release and a different phone variant. Worked for me and I'm on orange.

6. mikecwhite

mikecwhite New Member

Sounds like a plan. Where did you get the version of Kies from?

Mike

7. LEE69

LEE69 Member

Wifes phone is on orange UK and orange UK branded, she's updated now.

8. blackbird rider

blackbird rider Member

How can this be. I am on Orange (pay monthly) but when I use Kies it says that my version cannot be updated! :(

9. jatank

jatank Active Member

I think theres a way to registry hack the phone, so it appears as a different model. Im not sure if the latest kies has fixed this flaw though.

A couple of months back I was able to do a registry hack following info on this forum to fool kies into thinking I had a standard uk unlocked version and hence put JM1 firmware on it.

I wouldnt think it would be too long before orange makes the firmware official. Be warned though, it aint as smooth as you would expect.

I'd use z4root app to root the phone then apply the oclf and you're phone will fly. ;)

10. blackbird rider

blackbird rider Member

I'm afraid I don't follow all this techy rooting stuff and what not so I'll just stick to any official release if and when it comes. Just have to continue to be patient (or not!) I guess.

11. Northerndj

Northerndj Well-Known Member

If you got your phone from the carphone warehouse then you would of got the update as it is unbranded the kies hack works, But your in the same boat as eevry one on other networks

12. andy-roid

andy-roid Well-Known Member

what i ment was same time as t mobile

13. Which version do you have? I believe you can hack anything prior to Kies 1.5.3.10103_100. Simply modify the reg to the new version I.D. and then alter your mobile I.D. and Bob's your auntie.