• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Froyo OTA installed - Woot! Now what about Gingerbread?

WTF

Sep 11, 2010
Mile High City
Just did the Froyo OTA earlier - it updated without a hitch (and real fast thanks to broadband Wifi). I've been playing around with my "new" DX and no issues since the update this afternoon. Seems to working great so far:D

Even though Froyo has just been released I'm curious on what may be changed/enhanced/deleted/etc for Gingerbread (perhaps what other changes people here might expect or want). I have read some of the posts here about it and understand its mostly just speculation at this point, but I thought I might ask anyway. I do hope Motoblur might be removed or at least diminished more than it is now for 3.0...

Its supposed to be out by the end of the year from what I've read. Also some have posted that the DX may not get Gingerbread...hope that's not true. I guess we'll have to see...

not to burst your bubble, but the issues are truly there

I went to the Moto forums and was absolutely shocked at the number of issues that I've seen on my phone that others have encountered as well - they have really dropped the ball on this one. Welcome to the Storm 1 issues all over again...

From what I've seen the people with issues are the ones that downloaded the leaked froyo, went back to 2.1, and tried getting the OTA 2.2

Upvote 0
I haven't had any issues, and I did NOT install the leaked foyo's. I believe motorola told everyone NOT to or they would have issues.
Anyways, I LOVE the update! The battery manager made it all worth the wait as did the improved battery usuage! WOW! And, im just noticing my 3g coverage is much MUCH better.
Very good update, IMO.

Upvote 0
not to burst your bubble, but the issues are truly there

I went to the Moto forums and was absolutely shocked at the number of issues that I've seen on my phone that others have encountered as well - they have really dropped the ball on this one. Welcome to the Storm 1 issues all over again...

Honestly, you have to take into account that most of the people who aren't having any issues probably aren't posting about it mostly because, well, they aren't having issues. I myself are among those people. I had the Storm 1 and this really isn't anything like that in my opinion.

Also like any software update for any electronic device, there are always going to be people who have issues. Add in the fact that a solid number of users were altering their devices in some way and I honestly can't say I'm surprised by the number of threads that are out there regarding issues.

Upvote 0
BB Storm issues were highly hardware related. The "moving" screen was a huge blunder on the part of RIM. I knew folks who were sticking business cards in the screen to level the damn thing. There are dozens of folks who are on their 5 device or higher.

And remember, only the upset are here posting :)

Upvote 0
From what I've seen the people with issues are the ones that downloaded the leaked froyo, went back to 2.1, and tried getting the OTA 2.2

Well I was one of the ones that had the leak, went back to 2.1, and got the OTA 2.2. I have had zero problems with the OTA. Matter of fact, the OTA and the leaked 2.2 work exactly the same smooth like butter. Wasn't rooted so maybe that's why it went so smooth. Would have kept my leaked 2.2 feel like it was a waste of time. The only reason to justify the switch is just in case VZ comes out with a minor update to fix some problems in between Froyo and Gingerbread.

Upvote 0
Can we merge any new "Gingerbread/3.0/what's next?" threads into this one? I'm curious and intrigued to see what's next too, but I don't think we need the volume of threads that 2.2 generated.

It would be nice to have one thread where all the latest info could be found - I'm all for that too...

As far as my "bubble being burst...", I'll have to go with my own experience over another's opinion. I understand that there have been issues, from minor ones through phones being bricked, but from what I've read here and elsewhere it is mostly due to user modifications and not Verizon/Moto hardware and software screwups.

My own personal experience with the Froyo upgrade has been great - I'm still playing around with it but so far I haven't had a single issue with the new OS. If I do find one then I'll spend some time here and try to figure it out, but I haven't seen anything "bubble bursting" at all.

But here's what I have seen:

Battery lasting about 30% longer over 2.1 with approximately the same usage.
An increase in performance as measured by Quadrant score -
OS 2.1: on average about 1250
OS 2.2: on average about 1400 (just tried it again and got 1423!)
Flash is working great on the browser (I'm using xScope)
smoother operation overall - unlocking, moving between screens, etc.
louder volume for sounds, music, ringer and so forth.

I wasn't unhappy with 2.1 at all, but seeing what has improved with 2.2 makes me excited about what else we might be in store for with the next major OS upgrade, which is why I started this thread.:cool:

As other have said, those who are happy with phone don't usually post, and there are a lot of DX's out there, and many more people are waiting to get theirs. I don't think this would be the case if there were major issues with the HW/SW - Just my $.02, YMMV...

Upvote 0

You know what ASSUME means right? It's now been confirmed from VZW they have a problem with the OTA. What you saw is people that had the problem and also tried to fix it. Moto caused two problems. If you really read the threads around here many were never rooted or had the leak.

Upvote 0
You know what ASSUME means right? It's now been confirmed from VZW they have a problem with the OTA. What you saw is people that had the problem and also tried to fix it. Moto caused two problems. If you really read the threads around here many were never rooted or had the leak.

Can you clarify exactly WHAT has been confirmed and WHERE you find confirmation? Is there something in print?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones