Froyo pattern-unlock, Manage Apps hang, and battery life

Last Updated:

1. jae_63

jae_63 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,

I'm a very happy KaosFroyo 37 user, but I have some misc questions.

1. (sorry, this item is a sort of double-post) Do any of these lockscreen widgets work with Froyo? When I was running Android 1.5 and 2.1, I would keep my screen pattern-locked most of the time, since it lives in my pants' pocket and I want to avoid it activating accidentally. Then when I get into the car and place my phone in a cup holder, I would unlock the phone once and click a widget which would leave it unlocked (for easy access to GPS, etc.) for the duration of my ride, when I would lock the phone again and put it back in my pocket.

Now with Android 2.2 I can't do this with the lock pattern, because apparently the security mechanisms don't permit it; one must re-enter the lock pattern several times, which is very time-consuming. Is there another approach for 2.2 users? I don't need very strong security, just want to avoid accidental phone calls and other accidental activations.
    2. While (Android's) Manage Applications worked for me initially, now it only works the first time after a reboot. I.e., I can run it once, but on any subsequent attempts it will hang while attempting to populate its app list. As workaround I purchased Quick App Clean Cache, which is nice in its own right, but it would still be nicer not to have this problem. Also I'm not 100% convinced that Quick App Clean Cache is always giving me the complete set of options for an app, e.g. to move it to an SD card. Have others encountered this problem? I could probably generate a logcat for debugging purposes.
    3. Most apps will let you move them to the SD card in KaosFroyo 37, even though I haven't checked the CyanogenMod option to permit these. I guess that there are a few more apps which might copy more completely to the SD card if I used this option. Can anyone shed any light on this option and whether it's saves any memory, and whether it induces any instability? I'm always careful not to copy widgets to the SD card.
    4. Battery life is a continued mystery; clearly much worse than before I rooted. Apparently the CPU tweaker isn't recommended (I guess it uses too much battery life trying to figure out whether it needs to adjust the CPU speed), and the battery life tweaker on the XDA forum described doesn't provide a very clear strategy. What do folks recommend? [ Correction: I had read a pretty incoherent writeup somewhere on XDA, but now see Collin_ph Battery Tweak RC1 for Cyanogen / Darch Froyo roms (possibly others) - xda-developers which is well-written. I will try this approach, but welcome your experiences. ]
    While I'm at it, let me mention the things that I really like about having rooted and upgraded to Froyo:

• I can put lots more apps on my device, including seldom-used apps such as Bike Doctor and cookbooks which would consume too much RAM on earlier Android releases
    • I rarely need a wireless hotspot, but it's reassuring to know that I have the capability (using a 3rd-party app installed on my Eris)
    • It was a pleasant surprise to have Hebrew fonts and right-to-left working "out-of-the-box", thanks to CyanogenMod. I suspect that Arabic speakers derive the same benefits. I can also write Hebrew with a Hebrew keyboard.
    • Having lost Sense I was forced into a light learning curve with Launcher Pro and Beautiful Widgets, and like the net result better than what I had before with stock 2.1. I especially like the scrolling agenda widgets. I'm also looking forward to using some of the power of the LauncherPro dock.
    • Bluetooth voice dialing

Advertisement
    kp8sp0 likes this.
  2. T-Keith

T-Keith Well-Known Member

1. Sorry I don't use this.

2. I have noticed it takes a long time to populate, but it always works eventually, it may be a ROM thing, I use Nonsenikal and now CELBfroyo.

3. The app has to be writen to allow moving to an SD card, some are sadly not, other can't or shouldn't be. I have just about everything on the SD card and have not encountered a problem.

4. I tried a lot of tweaks with Nonsensikal but with CELBFroyo I have't loaded any yet, it uses a new governor, and I've had great battery life without SETCPU or autokiller so far. It's hard to tell without knowing your setup exactly, and I'm not sure if KaosFroyo will work like the other Froyo ROMs. Don't assume that your experience is solely due to 2.2, different ROMs act differently.

3. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

1. There is an app in the market called Quick Settings. One of the options (menu->customize) lets you drag the lock pattern onto it's main screen, and from that you can toggle the lock screen on or off (though when you toggle on it does ask if you want to use the current pattern or create a new one, so there is that extra click.)

It's a few clicks more than a widget, but that may be acceptable to you.

2. I haven't had that problem myself. It can take a while to refresh, and it's annoying that it has to do so every single time that you go in, but it does refresh for me.

4. I've tried the Collin_ph tweak and didn't notice too much of a difference, but it does save some battery time as the battery starts running down. It's not much, but if you regularly need to recharge during the day, you may want to try it. It's not that hard to remove.

4. jae_63

A few more clicks would be fine. But this is lots of clicks and re-entering of screen patterns.

To begin with, from my locked phone I enter my pattern, and then launch Quick Settings. I click on its "Unlock Pattern" item which leads me to Location and Security Settings. From here I can click "Change screen lock" and then must confirm the saved pattern and from there can click "None".

Now when I am done riding in the car, I must setup the screen lock again, entering the pattern twice.

There's got to be an easier way, but I don't know what it is.

Are any of you running Froyo able to avoid this unpleasant procedure?

Attached Files:

5. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

I am doing this from xtrSENSE. Once you have set up a pattern, you just click the "on/off" button on the right side of that entry in Quick Settings. See the attached.

Attached Files:

• qs1.png
      qs1.png
      File size:
      108.4 KB
      Views:
    • qs2.png
      qs2.png
      File size:
      88.4 KB
      Views:
    • qs3.png
      qs3.png
      File size:
      105.1 KB
      Views:
    jae_63 likes this.
  6. jae_63

I don't encounter your second screen; instead clicking that on/off button sends me straight to Android settings. I sure wish I knew how to obtain the behavior that you have, preferably staying with KaosFroyo or another non-Sense Froyo ROM, which in principle should be more stable in other respects.