Froyo Questions

Last Updated:

1. TheTrueSpin

TheTrueSpin Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Yes, I know there is a sticky, but a lot of peoples' questions are not being answered. So here are the top two questions people seem to be asking.

I bought my phone through (name of network) but my phone seems to have no branding. Will I be able to get the update direct from HTC?

What happens to my phone after the update? Do I lose anything? Is it like a factory reset?

Can anyone clarify?

I personally bought my phone sim-free from CWH so am assuming I can get the update the moment HTC release it.

Advertisement
  2. matttye

matttye Well-Known Member

1st question: most likely yes. Put a sim card from another network in your phone and if it works then your phone is unlocked.

2nd question: I've never done a major update as my phone had 2.1, but when I got a minor bug fix update a while back everything was kept.. hopefully it will be the same this time!

3. Evil Genius

Evil Genius Well-Known Member

this subject is being covered here:

http://androidforums.com/htc-desire...-capture-unlocked-european-desires-weeke.html

but HTC do state:

HTC Desire users will be notified that the over-the-air update is available to download when their phone automatically checks for software updates. The update won't delete any of the phone's content. However, due to the size of the update, we would advise using a WiFi connection to download it wherever possible to avoid additional data charges.

4. GrenW

GrenW Well-Known Member

First question - not sure, depends on where you bought it. Bought mine from Vodafone - no branding inside or out BUT the firmware still needs to be updated via Vodafone as its specific to them (it's also unlocked but that's a different thing altogether). Check out the software version number its the only real way to tell. Second - as above, sounds like everything will be kept. I'll be making backups beforehand though