Froyo really ruined Android for meGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Bundy

Bundy Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Bit of a rant, but I have completely lost confidence in this phone since getting 2.2. There have been little nuisance things like emails getting deleted and horrid battery life when on WiFi, but there have been two recent issues that have me questioning everything about the Android OS (2.2 anyway):

Texts going to the wrong person - Seriously? I was put in a pretty awkward position when a text was sent to the wrong person, who really shouldn't have read what I wrote. Is there a disclaimer somewhere that I missed?

Clock changed time on me - I mean, how can you screw up the time? I missed a deadline on something very important because my clock decided it had enough of daylight savings time and fell behind one hour. I had my alarm set for 5:30am, it went off at 5:30 am according to the phone - unfortunately for me the real time was 6:30am. Thankfully my wife (no, she wasn't involved in the text issue) had her BlackBerry set for 6:30am and asked why I was still sleeping when her alarm went off, so I didn't hit snooze or need coffee.

How can I trust this thing? I've never had issues like these before on any phone and can't believe three large corporations (Google, Verizon and HTC) could possibly produce software with this level of suck.

OK, I'm done ranting. Now I'm just waiting for my bump charge to finish so I can see what new headslapping adventures lie ahead for me today.

Advertisement
  2. gonzoguy24

gonzoguy24 Well-Known Member

Neither of these problems have happened to me and you are the first one I have seen reporting these issues...hopefully they go away after a reboot...

3. jamor

jamor Well-Known Member

So you sent a text to person A. It shows up in your message box as sent to person A.

Person B responds to it?

Or did it show up as sent to person B?

Handcent? Stock? Chomp?

4. Casbah

Casbah Well-Known Member

Same here I haven't had any of these issues either. Then again my DInc is running rooted with Virtuous and King kernel (2.2) so maybe something happened during the OTA install on this phone.

No joy in having an expensive piece of equipment fail or act testy though no matter the cause. (of course humans do it all the time, haha)

5. howarmat

howarmat Well-Known Member

Just FYI verizon doesnt write the code, its HTC/Google. They do like to add bloatware though

6. Crashumbc

Crashumbc Well-Known Member

are you rooted? custom rom? just blindly installing the OTA without doing a factory reset? Running a bunch of crazy apps? apps not designed to run on 2.2 ?

I would ask myself each of the above before I claimed that "FROYO ruined android for me" it makes you sound like a common troll...

The facts are MOST people have had a positive experience with FROYO and not just on the incredible. (this isn't claiming its perfect) So simple logic would tell you its much more likely something wrong with your device, your install (they do glitch occasionally), the combination of apps your using, or even user error (sending drunk txts)

I read these forums everyday and this is the first time I've heard either of those two issues in the 3+weeks FROYO has been out. (or on other devices for that matter)

7. ChiTownJim

ChiTownJim Well-Known Member

I haven't had any of those problems. But there's nothing worse then sending a text message to the wrong person especially in "special situations"

8. Casbah

Casbah Well-Known Member

Easy way to avoid that is not to text something that would be embarrassing or potentially troubling if the wrong person read it! ;) (really intended for OP)

9. mike1

mike1 Well-Known Member

well then you must not be paying too much attention considering there has been atleast 2 threads about texts going to the wrong person in the last week

10. sabrewings

sabrewings Well-Known Member

If you haven't done a factory reset yet, then you really have no grounds to say that "Froyo ruined Android" for you. If it did, you haven't been enjoying Android in the best ways.

11. da9b20

da9b20 Active Member

mine was screwy and the factory reset fixed it. i didnt have your issues but thats a players nightmare. texting the wrong girl

12. mike1

mike1 Well-Known Member

i also want to see this question answered because i dont want some of my texts being sent to family members i would atleast like to know if they got sent to them before they send something back

13. vasilator

vasilator Well-Known Member

Funny thing is I just received a text this morning from someone (same phone) that wasn't intended for me. I know they are on Handcent.

14. mobilehavoc

mobilehavoc Well-Known Member

I've had this happen once or twice and I think it's when you see someone's conversation and just as you're tapping it, the list is being refreshed so you tap someone else not knowing you did.

Both times it happened recently, the sent message is in the conversation of the wrong person. i.e. It's not like it's showing sent to Person A but really going to Person B.

It's just a timing issue and when the conversation list refreshes. Knowing this, I've been able to avoid it by waiting 1/2 second before tapping and also checking the person I'm sending to before I hit send :D

15. kylebarendrick

kylebarendrick Well-Known Member

I had this happen once with handcent while I was running 2.1. It is definitely worth double checking the recipient before pressing "send"!

16. Crashumbc

this is the only time I've heard it also, and third party apps (i.e hancent or chomp) were involved...

17. taylor6400

taylor6400 Well-Known Member

My phone is sending texts on its own. It has sent a couple texts multiple times to the original recipient...on its own. As in say, i send a text at 11am...she got it at 11am, again aroudn 4pm and then again a few days later on a friday evening when we were together.

18. Crashumbc

I did find one !
    --------
    I am using the stock app but i have the SMS popup app installed to. i am not 100% sure but i believe i run into the issue whether i reply through the SMS popup app or the stock messaging app.
    --------

the problem was related to a third party app...

19. superchaos

superchaos Well-Known Member

Funny, I received a text from someone with an iPhone yesterday that read, "Sweet tits!" followed by whoops, that wasn't for you. But I still went to the mirror and checked myself out. Then I asked my wife what she thought of them.

Mskgreenel and pucrepeap like this.
  20. mrsean

mrsean Active Member

I agree with the original poster. Froyo is major disappointment for me as well. It destroyed my 16gb class 6 micro SD card and the 3g drop out issues although infrequent are annoying.

Also a consumer should not have to wipe and reload all their data just so their phone can continue to function properly. If the Dinc was an iPhone, Apple would be getting bashed all over the internet so putting out a overly-hyped, bug-ridden service patch with bearly any worthwhile new features. Thank god, the Dinc is a cool Android phone...LOL. Verizon should be demanding that HTC issue a fix for Froyo asap and HTC should tell Verizon to stop overloading it's phones with crapware.

What's worse than all that is the Froyo-loving hype that went on here and cross the internet for months. Froyo has definitely made the Droid Incredible a lot less of an "incredible" experience, IMHO.

21. howarmat

froyo works for me, and how did it destroy you SD card.

22. Jakaro

Jakaro Well-Known Member

Crack, Meth, PCP, Acid?\

Just messin, hope it works out for you.

23. Crashumbc

Crapware isn't Android's or Froyo's fault that's VZW's.

Have you ever read a iphone forum and the crap issues they have? don't believe the marketing hype. froyo is far more stable the the iphone 4.

fyi i know a fair number of people that had their devices bricked upgrading they 3gs's...

Half the iphone users out there would rather DIE then admit there was a issue with their phone...

24. howarmat

true statement lol

25. answerman

answerman Well-Known Member

OK, that was funny. I needed that today.