Froyo Review / Issues / Changes

Last Updated:

1. Reaktorblue

Reaktorblue Member This Topic's Starter

I realize there are numerous threads about this, however, I'm not sure if some of my issues are the result of me just being silly as in a new setting I haven't found or possibly they are just real issues. I've had these issues with a stock phone, OTA update to 2.2 and I've also had these issues once I've rooted the phone and did a few customizations.

I get benchmarks with Quadrant in the 1550 range so I figure the phone is running quickly but basically, what good is a fast phone when you sacrifice functionality. After my OTA 2.2 update the following seems to be changes that significantly impact the functionality of the phone itself.

• The phone now seems to randomly reboot itself, displaying the DROID logo and then the red orb as it boots itself up, straight to the desktop. This seems to be random as I have not found a definitive pattern but this happens multiple times a day.

• The slide lock screen seems to be a bit choppy from time to time and sometimes the animation of sliding it to the right to unlock the phone seems to freeze for a few seconds before moving on to the desktop.

• Google Maps seems to be much slower and choppy moving around the map. In addition, the traffic layers seems to be much more inaccurate and also seems to disappear from the map from time to time. When this happens the layer needs to be deactivated and then reactivated to appear back on the screen.

• Adding Facebook to the list of accounts was unsuccessful many times. Eventually this went through after about 2 days of continuously trying. Previously when it would fail the error message would simply state that an error has occured. In addition, adding the Facebook app to the phone makes a second entry appear in the list of available accounts for Facebook. This second entry does not appear to do anything as when you click it to add an account, nothing happens.

• Pandora used to pause when an incoming call was received and then when the call was over, Pandora would resume its playing. This no longer appears to be the case. Pandora now seems to pause and require a manual operation to continue playing again. In addition, when connected to a blue tooth receiver in the car, Pandora would play until the car was turned off and then would pause itself / stop. Now it switches from the car audio to the handset audio.

• The battery manager which is included in the stock handset appears to force close about 70% of the time for no apparent reason.

• Incoming messages are now sorted in such a way that the messages which are sent last are sorted on the top of the list first. If you send 3 messages and the first person to get back to you was the first person you sent messages to, it will be the 3rd unread message displayed from the top.

• The camera shutter and auto focus now have audio that plays that cannot be muted or disabled. Previously if you had the phone on vibrate or silent these sounds were not audible.

All in all none of these are deal breakers. The Droid X with Android 2.2 is still a solid setup, however, for an upgrade there have been several things that seem to have either been forgotten about or simply have been downgraded.

At this point, experiencing all that I have experienced thus far, I would take 2.1 over 2.2 currently. I'd rather a phone that has full user functionality over a phone that is quicker but has less functionality.

Has anyone experienced the same or similar results after upgrading their phone?

Advertisement